Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #41
BoltR

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jon
I like that idea. If the sentry's target is its last target, basically skip the lock on time. Seems simple enough.

Would also fix one of the main "my sentry's freaking out" bugs.
Geez jon, do I need to start posting suggestions in general to get more viewing? I've been mentioning this since before 1.0

Well, something extremely similar I guess. My description was more complicated. Though I was never saying make it instantly lock on again, just that the time should be lowered.
BoltR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #42
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Might balance it a little, as i can see the scout/medic players start whining again about not being able to kill sg's .....
Unless they're out of range with a nailgun or dancing around in front of it, I wouldn't think some of the weakest classes SHOULD be taking out sg's.

Quote:
this way you could attract the sg's attention while some other O player takes it down. Or something.
Well in TFC it could acquire new targets just as easily in "lock on" mode the same as it could normally. The only difference would be that it would be facing a specific direction as opposed to roaming mode.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #43
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieman280
Thanks guys! The game looks like it has its pros and cons. I like the look of the medic and pyro. also, I'm glad that the soldier can shoot faster. in tf2 it was too easy to dodge rockets.
For the speed of the game, the soldier doesn't reload fast enough (in FF). If you're going to be doing any sort of serious playing on defense, expect to be protecting the sentry gun at all times. I don't mean in the TF2 GPit "Oh man don't let the sentry on the right go down" sort of thing, but an "If we don't keep this sentry gun up they have pretty much free reign on the flag room" sort of thing. It's not pretty.

I'd have to say that, in this sense, it's TFC devolved. It wouldn't be an issue if, say, KD's weren't shown and fortress points were all that was there and you gained FP's for how much health you've knocked off of your opponent or for holding a certain position for a certain amount of time. Things like this would make the team element of the game dominant. Something that TF2 does infinitely better than FF.

The balance is also screwy in FF. Again, in any serious play, there are certain classes you simply won't see. It's an improvement from TFC, but there are some things that make the game simply not very fun. Like the SG. For the defense. However, compared to TF2 there is more 'variety' in the classes seen in small serious play (5v5 in FF and 6v6 in TF2). In FF you'll usually see a soldier, demo, and engineer on defense and a pair of medics or a scout/demo combo on offense. In TF2 you'll almost always see 2 sollies, 2 scouts, 1 demo, 1 medic. The thing that makes TF2 superior in league play, at least for me, is that those two scouts actually change depending on the situation. Rarely will you see a change in lineup on defense or offense in TF2. Maybe you'll see a spy on offense in FF, but usually not.

I'm not a fan of FF pub play either, but that's just a taste thing. I prefer objectives that get completed, and I've found that unless I'm doing AVD (which is broken to all shit with 2.0) then it simply turns into one large DM. This is typically the outcome of pub CTF in all games, but the large number of CTF maps in FF kind of make it a DM pub game.

The whole "It's different" in 2.1 thing is expected. Cool, can I download it yet?

Edit: As a whole, though, FF is fun if done in very limited amounts. For any serious play, though, the game is wonky. Just plain ol' wonky.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #44
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Pffff.... are we having a bad day mate?

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #45
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
i actually agree with this post.

Edit by Skanky: stop quoting huge posts

Last edited by Skanky Butterpuss; 08-01-2008 at 08:05 PM.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #46
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
I can't comment on "serious play", but I imagine Credge is as good a judge of it as anyone. He explains his reasoning processes. I play FF mainly for AvD and he's right about how 2.0 has messed things up.

-pF-: I think Credge is simply giving his analysis of how gameplay in TF2 compares to FF. It's better that he point out the shortcomings for the newcomer right away rather than butter up FF gameplay only to have the player realize them for himself.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #47
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
credge tends to exaggerate with his nitpickings, although some of the concerns in this post are pretty accurate and are being addressed for the new patch (SG stuff, Avd stuff).

its ok though, because he is always right. always. even when there are concrete facts that prove otherwise.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #48
Arvingorn
Angry, angry Spy

Class/Position: Turtle Engie
FF = fun game, but it's so fucking hard to find more than one server that's full.

TF2 = a mansion full of content that is also packed with douchebags.

For me it's TF2 and if you disagree you're a fuckbag because it's my own goddamn opinion.
Arvingorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #49
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Regarding credge's post about lack of change up on O for FF, he's correct, we rarely change our line up from scouts or meds. The biggest reason I find for this is that most of the time the run to the flag is soo damn long on most maps that any slower class in a 5v5, 6v6 style format can't be that effective, any hole they create one run is quickly filled before they get back. A combination of slow + fast class doesn't work out that well either, the D will take out the fast guy first, then kill the slower guy that can't move the flag.

Things seem a lot different in a 4v4 match though. You can afford to have 1 or 2 slow guys while still keeping a few flag runners. So offense is a lot more diverse.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #50
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
I don't agree with you there Hammock.

Get a SG in a good spot in a map like stowaway2, and your average O Scout/Medic is fucked. (Favorite: top air vent.) I had people going Soldier and then eventually running a Demo and Spy on offense to compensate for the SG and mix things up.

You don't see as much of that as I wish you did though. ):

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #51
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
I don't agree with you there Hammock.

Get a SG in a good spot in a map like stowaway2, and your average O Scout/Medic is fucked. (Favorite: top air vent.) I had people going Soldier and then eventually running a Demo and Spy on offense to compensate for the SG and mix things up.

You don't see as much of that as I wish you did though. ):
although hes right about the run times.
Sometimes you dont have time in a match to run slower classes
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #52
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Does no one run medics and soldiers?

I mean, the soldier can RJ his ass up there. Sure, he'll have an armor penalty, but his health would still be buffed from medpacks, and have more firepower than either a scout or medic.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2008, 12:24 AM   #53
EngeeMan
Banned

TF2 air

FF air
EngeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #54
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Yeah basically.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:28 AM   #55
!nF3D4L
D&A Member

Class/Position: Offy ftw
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: ]NM[- `DIB5
Send a message via MSN to !nF3D4L
indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
From that angle it looks like she has a flaming penis...
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
Yeah, cause big bad infy is the center of all things development. He is, however, the center of all things cool.
!nF3D4L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2008, 12:55 AM   #56
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
Regarding credge's post about lack of change up on O for FF, he's correct, we rarely change our line up from scouts or meds. The biggest reason I find for this is that most of the time the run to the flag is soo damn long on most maps that any slower class in a 5v5, 6v6 style format can't be that effective, any hole they create one run is quickly filled before they get back. A combination of slow + fast class doesn't work out that well either, the D will take out the fast guy first, then kill the slower guy that can't move the flag.

Things seem a lot different in a 4v4 match though. You can afford to have 1 or 2 slow guys while still keeping a few flag runners. So offense is a lot more diverse.
Hopefully this will change in 2.1. I think a lot of the rigid lineup issues were due to the general balance of the game. With all of the changes, I think a diverse lineup will be possible and effective (but I'm not really sure how diverse a 2 man offense could possibly be...)

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #57
Handym
I got some bread, bitch

Send a message via MSN to Handym Send a message via Skype™ to Handym
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
Older by about 3 days.

And, here you go:
TF2 Player's Guide to FF
Funny how it claims that everything in FF is something that was changed from TF2.
Handym is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #58
Handym
I got some bread, bitch

Send a message via MSN to Handym Send a message via Skype™ to Handym
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvingorn
FF = fun game, but it's so fucking hard to find more than one server that's full.

TF2 = a mansion full of content that is also packed with douchebags.

For me it's TF2 and if you disagree you're a fuckbag because it's my own goddamn opinion.
Also, funny how this guy always comes to an FF forum or comments on a FF vid saying TF2 is better, and if you disagree you're a moron and should be ashamed of yourself.

Seriously dude, stop being such a douchebag about it all the time.
Handym is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2008, 07:23 PM   #59
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handym
Funny how it claims that everything in FF is something that was changed from TF2.
It's not that things in FF were changed from TF2, it's that they're different. That's what the guide is about.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #60
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handym
It makes no such claim, but you're very close to finding the point of the article, Mr. Detective. The title of the wiki page might hold another clue.

There's also this one: TFC Player's Guide To FF

Is it funny how that one lists everything in FF that is different from TFC? No. Because that's the entire reason for having the article.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote