D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
Sorry, that's what I meant. Players should still be able to block enemies. Sometimes it's impossible to avoid your teammate, especially if you are a faster class than they are. Making this change across the board would solve both the annoying blockage (Every time I'm carrying the flag back to my base, my teammates literally become magnets, stopping me dead in my tracks), as well as the no build areas.

never really agreed with clipping teamates, but situational clipping like this i can see working.
it is annoying as fuck being blocked by teammates when youre on a smooth run and all the sudden STOP.
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #42
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Easy way for that, well, maybe not from a coding point, but theoretically here, would be team-clip in no-build areas, or if you have the flag. That would also prevent those griefers who love to fuck with the person who has the flag.

I also think a timer should be put in, where if you hold the flag too long(say 3 minutes, max)... you automatically throw it and can't pick it back up until someone else touches it. At least the lone griefer would be taken care of.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #43
MASH

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Easy way for that, well, maybe not from a coding point, but theoretically here, would be team-clip in no-build areas, or if you have the flag. That would also prevent those griefers who love to fuck with the person who has the flag.

I also think a timer should be put in, where if you hold the flag too long(say 3 minutes, max)... you automatically throw it and can't pick it back up until someone else touches it. At least the lone griefer would be taken care of.
Yeh thats what i said, just make 'teammates' clippable in the no-build and no annoyances areas of the map. This includes all the annoying places such as doorways, spawn, entrance to spawn, hallways, etc. And shouldn't be too hard to code, as you are jsut adding another parameter to the already existing no-annoyances code.

And i agree on the flag timer idea too, perhaps even a shorter time. This would stop noobs getting the flag and then going and sitting in spawn for the rest of the map. But it would have to be made a map specific option, because it may not work too well with waterpolo/holding the flag maps and the likes.
MASH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #44
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
honestly 1 minute or less flag timer wouol get fucking annoying
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #45
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
soft clipping ftw.

carl/chilledsanity: jiggle bones and a couple of face animation stuff right? though jigglebones are a really cool feature to have, and not only because of potentially bouncing tits.

And i really, really believe we need OB just for the (rudimentary) multithreading.. it's unbelievable that we're stuck with using just one core. argh.

So chilledsanity, um, animate for us?

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products

Last edited by pF; 06-11-2010 at 06:45 PM.
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #46
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy View Post
You and I rarely agree, much less close to 100%, but FF as TFC Source/OB this has been my case all along. If there was an OB version of TFC it would compete well with TF2, have a large enough player base to have a competative community, etc.

Scuzzy
Glad we kinda agree this time : )
I hear a lot of new dudes asking this:
Whats the best game FortressForever or TF2?
My awnser: If you played a Team Fortress game before probably FF if not probably TF2.
I always sayd and still stick with the idea that FF only have the capacity of holding old tfc ers or dudes from other TF games, FF canīt compete with tf2 or other games unfortenely but thats the true, and making the game go away from tfc puts away all those dudes off too.
I hope devs get a bit more democratic in the future and listen players and beta testers.
zE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2010, 12:51 AM   #47
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Pf: I could be wrong, but I'm not even sure the facial system was altered, just a different set of flexes was used for the TF2 models. As for animating, I work mainly from the SDK end with Hammer and Faceposer, which I doubt FF has much use for.

zE: I agree, I'd be amazed if most of FF's fanbase didn't come from people who enjoyed earlier TF versions. I think there's room for improvement from TFC. TF2, while it has some things right, feels more like a bastardization of the TFC game. I've said before that I'm not against change to the TFC formula, but it has to be done carefully to be successful I think. I can understand wanting to introduce big gameplay changes, then testing them out to see how they do. However, if it's apparent those changes are causing big gameplay problems, then either MORE changes are required to correct the old ones, or else it's better to just go back to the drawing board and revert to TFC gameplay, since we know that already works.

So the risky path is to introduce changes, and keep introducing frequent changes until things start balancing out and become hopefully more fun. The safe path is to just mimic TFC gameplay as close as possible with only adding cosmetic and convenience changes. FF does neither of these. It's introduced game-breaking changes that shouldn't have left beta, only to leave them unaddressed for over a year. While democracy isn't necessarily a formula for development success, I honestly don't know what process the devs use for game development. Many decisions seem downright mystical. I've tried a long time to figure it out, but I really don't know who the target audience is gameplay-wise for FF.

Last edited by chilledsanity; 06-14-2010 at 01:06 AM.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote