Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 01-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
COD4 Single player... I know why it is short.

I know why it's incredibly short now... the difficulty of it is stupid. That is to say, if you die 5 steps from an objective that is, say, 600 yards away, you have to make the trek again. The game wouldn't be so bad if, well, the save feature didn't suck dick.

Controls don't go over any save and load feature.

There is no mention in the manual about a save feature. It would help if the manual wasn't the size of single-ply toilet paper.

Save and Quit has me doing the entire mission again, or at least has me going back two to three steps where I left off.

Objective updates don't auto-save. Instead, it's random.

This makes the game feel like it's older than shit. No. Even old FPS games allowed you to save mid-level.

Another thing that troubles me about the game is that the AI targets you. And only you. There could be a guy standing out there launching nukes from his dick and they'd constantly shoot at you while you hide behind walls of concrete and steel. This is vastly different than COD1 and 2 when your allies would constantly die and return to the level from behind you.

In fact, I've yet to see any of my allies die. I can understand the important ones (Captain Price, Gaz, McMillan, etc)... but the SAS grunts? Not a one has died.

No, I take that back. One died while on the radio. It was scripted. I did not see it.

One final thing that bothers me with the game is how it treats getting hit. Your guy moves his body in the same annoying fashion, as if all bullets, grenades, and other things make your body turn up and to the left. This makes aiming retarded. It also doesn't help that enemies can take .45 to the chest but I can't take a grazing .20 to the shoulder.

And it has shit to do with realism. You wouldn't magically cure your wounds, nor do you have a cross hair when aiming from the hip.

All of this would be fine and manageable if the save feature wasn't rubbish.

"Oh. Your objectives updated and you died right before a save point? Nope, sorry. You have to go back 5 mins or so and do it over again."

"Oh. You were INSIDE the helicopter as it took off, sitting down behind everyone and the bullet that killed JFK flew in from the heartland just to kill you? BACK TO THE BEGINNING!"

Multiplayer is fine though.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
....I thought the singleplayer was incredible. No gripes here.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Suite307

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
....I thought the singleplayer was incredible. No gripes here.
Meh, Credge doesn't like to think positive.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite307
Meh, Credge doesn't like to think positive.
OH? REALLY?

Quote:
Multiplayer is fine though.
I think you just want me to be negative. You negative nancy. If you read what I wrote, you would have realized that my gripe is the save feature. You would realize this by this little gem.

Quote:
All of this would be fine and manageable if the save feature wasn't rubbish.
So quit being a horrible harold and read what I say before you try to make assertions that simply aren't true .

Have a good day.

P.S. Assassins Creed has the same save feature problem.

Ronald Reagan

Old 01-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
Suite307

I'm just arguing for the sake of giving shit. I'm a sad little person.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #6
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite307
I'm just arguing for the sake of giving shit. I'm a sad little person.
I often complain out of boredom.

Ronald Reagan

Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

man, i put cod4 on the hardest difficulty and ended up quitting when the airstrike is first introduced; that level is like trying to piss into a coffee straw: doable, but sloppy; that save function would have helped too; except everytime i died, i started back from the shed area; i have half a mind to pick it up again, but on easy setting next time
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote