o_ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #43
o_manual

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
TFC Etiquette

The etiquette of TFC; do not take all of the bags, do not
block doors, etc.
Its not even out yet, and unwritten and stupidly over crappy rules are being written for it. Leave it as it is, let the players decide for themselves on how they wish for it to be played.
o_manual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #44
o_qui

I can see how etiquette of not taking all the bags would definitly ruin the game and choke all the fun and gameplay from it
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #45
o_nezumi

TFC is out. It's been out for years.

If you're talking about FF then you can't take all the bags. If a bag doesn't give you anything you won't pick it up. (Hopefully this won't apply to bags dropped on death.)
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #46
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNuAl
Its not even out yet, and unwritten and stupidly over crappy rules are being written for it. Leave it as it is, let the players decide for themselves on how they wish for it to be played.
Uh, those guys ARE players. Note they're deciding for themselves how they wish for it to be played.

Try not to feel too silly, now...

Old 11-04-2006, 10:05 PM   #47
o_vistirix

How far are you?
o_vistirix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #48
o_ihmhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNuAl
Yes, I find it terribly stupid to teach players not to block doors and whore unneeded ammunition.

I mean, it is not like loads of servers have rules about disrupting the game and such.

Besides, once my videos are in place, I will rule all TFC players with an iron fist, ensuring that they follow my laws that I brought down from the mountains, yay, with a crowbar in one hand and a grenade bag in the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistirix
How far are you?
At the moment, I am still doing a bit of planning. I want to organize the videos just right.

I have also started writing rough drafts of scripts and requesting that demos be made from my volunteers. My narrator is on standby awaiting the first cut of the videos and a script so he can record narration to it.

Do keep in mind, please, that I have a load of projects I am working on at any time, including that lil' thing called life. This is one of many and I work on it when I can and when I get cooperation from other people.

Speaking of cooperation, anyone with decent skills in things like speed sniping, rocket jumping, etc. would be most welcome as volunteers; just PM me here on these here forums.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #49
o_caesium

pls do it for ff/tf2 ty.
o_caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 04:49 AM   #50
o_ihmhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium
pls do it for ff/tf2 ty.
Maybe. There are things to consider with those games.

For one, patches. I think we can all agree the risks of TFC being patched and changing are about as close as the risks of Nezumi spontaneously combusting. Now I do not know if Nezumi smokes or if Nez lies enough that one's pants might suddenly be ablaze, but... um... where was I?

Ah yes. Well, as these things go, when FF and TF2 come out, there are bound to be widespread changes in the game over time. Hax and whatnot. I will probably get involved in a project for these (FF first, then TF2), but only after I complete the TFC project first.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:52 AM   #51
o_ken-bean-net

its funny you make this thread.

The other day I was reading a artical in game informer, the artical caught my eye because there was a huge baby picture on top of the arctical. He was holding a 360 controller. I thought wtf? Kids playing games, like 2 year olds?

Then I read further it says, "Are Americans complaining so much that games are acutally becoming easier?" "Are people getting bored of trying and now just want to win?"

I think this thread adds the thrill on to your post. But hey, anything to bring the FF Community back, im all for.
o_ken-bean-net is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 06:52 AM   #52
o_puppychow

if you are doing this for fun and practice, then more power to ya. have fun.

if you are doing this b/c you think it will be widely used and helpful, i think you might be dissapointed.

those who play tfc already know how to play well. they are very few new players to tfc per month, and an even smaller subset of people whould even ever d/l your tutorial.

get your plans set, people ready and WAIT until FF comes out, and do it for FF. Doing this for TFC is kinda retarded IMO and akin to writing an owners manual for a car that came out 20 years ago.

Hope that wasnt too harsh. I just really don't see the need man.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #53
o_frz

I remember a game magazine make 4-5 tutorials on tribes 2 when it came out, and it helped allot to get into the game the first time i played it.

The videos had been released before the game came out, so they also were the ideal review of the game.
o_frz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #54
o_ihmhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow
if you are doing this for fun and practice, then more power to ya. have fun.

if you are doing this b/c you think it will be widely used and helpful, i think you might be dissapointed.

those who play tfc already know how to play well. they are very few new players to tfc per month, and an even smaller subset of people whould even ever d/l your tutorial.

get your plans set, people ready and WAIT until FF comes out, and do it for FF. Doing this for TFC is kinda retarded IMO and akin to writing an owners manual for a car that came out 20 years ago.

Hope that wasnt too harsh. I just really don't see the need man.
I started playing TFC three years ago. I played maybe once a month on my friend's Steam Account. (If you do a search for Ihmhi on Catacombs, you will find most of them on the same Steam ID; the older dates and different ID are me playing on my friend's comp when I was just learning the game).

On January 15, my birthday, I bought myself a birthday present and got the Half Life Anthology, which includes TFC. That was when I started playing seriously.

As time went on I swapped in different models (chrome shotgun, toon dispenser, smiley face teleporter sprite, glowing nails, etc.) and starting writing configs for all of my classes.

I tried to find what the commands for building SG and Dispenser are online. Planetfortress, a.k.a. "All TF All the Time" was really "A big lump of dog shit all the time"; they did not have all of the commands listed. I found the commands on a fansite where an Engineer posted his configs, and I doubt I would have found it otherwise.

Aside:
"build 1" = dispenser
"build 2" = sentry gun
"build 4" = teleporter entrance
"build 5" = teleporter exit
"detdispenser" and "detsentry" you may know, but what about "detexitteleporter" and "detentryteleporter"?

Just thought I would add another blip to potential Google searches.

The one biggest mistake far too many games make is abandoning the communities for their old games.

There are people who still play games that are 20 or more years old as seriously and as often as the people who play today. In the case of some games (Desert Strike anyone? ), there is nothing left to find out anymore, the codes, glitches, and cheats have long been revealed. In the case of others (TFC), it is played online with a dynamic community that is constantly changing.

Maps are still being made (I know this sweet map being made by my mates anigamor and {GCC}FROGG53186, for instance). Config innovations, not so much; that stopped with _special and reverse speedhacks to make spy disguises more believeable. Movement and such (concing, sharking, etc.) have not really changed much at all.

Valve has basically abandoned the game, and charges $5 to boot for a previously free game. TFC is a "dead" game, yet approximately 600 people (as in "600 servers") think it is alive enough to warrant the costs for running a server.

There still are people discovering this game every day like me who want to know how to set up an engineer config or how to bunnyhop. If even one of them benefits from my videos, great. Besides, I will get to put my name on something that will persist for a very long time.

Oh, and there is a bit of personal reason for doing this; I am a hopeless newb wrangler. I see someone struggling in game, and I say "Hey dude, want to go to an empty server so I can teach you some stuff?". I teach them concing, how to aim better, rocket jumping, the shotgun drop, elevator of death, all the good tricks. And they thank me for it. This will let me point them to the videos so they can still learn the same tricks but in a different manner. I... would probably still help them anyway though.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:42 PM   #55
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
You're a good man, Ihmhi.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:59 AM   #56
o_cosides

I actually cried..

No, hehe, u'r a nice man for doing that, but like others said, a lot of work for a nearly dead game :s

gl!
o_cosides is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 02:06 PM   #57
o_roadrun

What's "the shotgun drop"?
o_roadrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #58
o_ihmhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrun
What's "the shotgun drop"?
When you are falling from a height that would do the "drop sound" (you know, the *ksssh* that sounds like Darth Vader sneezed), you fire your shotgun to mask the noise. If you time it right, any defenders hear the shotgun, not the drop sound. A shotgun blast, especially in a map with a lot of players and a lot of combat, is less suspicious than a Vader-sneeze.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #59
o_roadrun

Haha, clever!
o_roadrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #60
o_posmo

Quote:
I am making a series of TFC Instructional Videos.
I'll sell you some concs, a rocket launcher and a nice jump suit and you could demonstrate the techniques yourself?
o_posmo is offline   Reply With Quote