Old 03-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
Please Just Play Pubs More

Like, we have people close to FF (Forums, IRC, Steamchat) a lot of the time.

Let's just idle in a pub more often. Like, I just love the game and want to play it, don't need an organized Pickup or anything, let's just play more FF.

Okay, ummm, yeah.

K Thanks.
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
if we all add eachtoher to steam we can message eachother when were going in a server to get a game going.

OT has been full recently so not that bad. unless you don't like playing on OT in which case well it sucks.

Steam: WiFiDi
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 03-28-2013 at 04:24 AM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
WiFiDi is correct.

The way we made :e0: a popular server at the time was bugging each other on steam to go in and join the server.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Sabbath

Posts Rated Helpful 7 Times
I don't think I've EVER pubbed in FF, maybe for 10 mins. at most. I will try to change that.
Sabbath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
iAmaNoob
The Solid One

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The problem is that FF have to little players on it, and for me, it's even worst when I practically on the other side of the world.

Up to now, I've only have 1 time playing with real, actual, players. And that was 2 years ago.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmaNoob View Post
The problem is that FF have to little players on it, and for me, it's even worst when I practically on the other side of the world.

Up to now, I've only have 1 time playing with real, actual, players. And that was 2 years ago.
i don't know the conversion but try 5pm CST and on (people generally get on then. (but is american servers generally.)

also if we hope to get organized we need to get eachother added on steam so we can harass each other on steam. (to play FF.) you can even make a seperate category so it just shows Friends from FF. its the only way to get servers going other than a steam group this way i feel is more efficient given the small community.

Last edited by WiFiDi; 03-29-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
iAmaNoob
The Solid One

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiDi View Post
i don't know the conversion but try 5pm CST and on (people generally get on then. (but is american servers generally.)

also if we hope to get organized we need to get eachother added on steam so we can harass each other on steam. (to play FF.) you can even make a seperate category so it just shows Friends from FF. its the only way to get servers going other than a steam group this way i feel is more efficient given the small community.
That's even worst! 5pm CST is 6 am here! I can't possibly wake up at 6 to play!

Old 03-30-2013, 04:06 AM   #8
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmaNoob View Post
That's even worst! 5pm CST is 6 am here! I can't possibly wake up at 6 to play!
where do you live austrailia/somewhere in asia?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
oaties

Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
Pubs just aren't fun for me. I would much rather be watching a stream or playing another game while waiting for a pickup to fill rather than pubbing.

The only time I enjoy pubs are high player count AvD games, but pubs seem to always be CTF.
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #10
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Well oaties, there's one thing you can do if you don't like CTF maps, vote for another one. I have a big variety of types of maps available on my server.

Pickups however, are much more limited with respect to maps. I rarely ever see an AVD pickup. It's 90% CTF. Pickups have more limitations on practically everything except for the level of play you are going to experience most times. Don't like building your SG in the corner of Destroy at the normal location but want to build at front door the whole game, sorry, tough shit. That's considered ruining a pickup which is a bannable offense. Sorry, but pubs have way more variety.

Yes, there are a lot more CTF maps than any other type of map, but that doesn't mean you have to play on one.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #11
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
Well oaties, there's one thing you can do if you don't like CTF maps, vote for another one. I have a big variety of types of maps available on my server.

Pickups however, are much more limited with respect to maps. I rarely ever see an AVD pickup. It's 90% CTF. Pickups have more limitations on practically everything except for the level of play you are going to experience most times. Don't like building your SG in the corner of Destroy at the normal location but want to build at front door the whole game, sorry, tough shit. That's considered ruining a pickup which is a bannable offense. Sorry, but pubs have way more variety.

Yes, there are a lot more CTF maps than any other type of map, but that doesn't mean you have to play on one.
That was hardly oaties point. Tbh ctf pubs really are pretty boring for the most part. I really don't see the variety in "pile everyone into foyar/FD" sure it's a different foyar/FD on each map, but it's a lot of the same shit. It's not really fun for offense when everyone piles up in yard or FD. And it's not really fun for the D player who'd like to play an actual spot, or at least in the base somewhere. I'll admit though lately I haven't run into this problem to much. But there's still a lot that contributes to pubbing being boring.

Vote for another map? Good luck with that, we're playing Ofire, again.

I'm happy to see that people have been pretty dedicated to ovd lately, but even that goes south when the pub fills up, and we keep on playing ovd 11v11.

It's not really the maps, it's just the way people play. It's honestly not very fun to play against pyros, it's not very fun to sit around for 5 minutes while the O hw crawls back to your base, it's not fun to 5v5 against a team of 3+engineers. I do pub from time to time, and it's not really bad, but it just often isn't very entertaining.

And the thing that I'll never understand is, seeing so much yard dm and foyar spamming, but those same people hate playing avd, where the name of the game is DM, and then leave.

Edit: also to touch on this a little more:
Quote:
. Don't like building your SG in the corner of Destroy at the normal location but want to build at front door the whole game, sorry, tough shit.
I think you're kind of missing the point. That's got more to do with consideration for your team as well as the offense, as building FD constantly would be annoying to most. That's just the point of pickups, the format we've adapted is meant to be the least annoying and yield the most fun. At least to the players that play them. Also you can build your sg in various places just so long as it isn't stupid.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 04-20-2013 at 06:33 AM.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

But my point with regards to the SG location is what is to say what is the correct way to do something versus the incorrect way? If everyone places their SG in the flag room, then how will we ever find out if a different placement works better or not? I'm not invalidating the fact that that is a good SG spot. I'm just trying to say that pickups are more of a cookie-cutter structured type gameplay as opposed to pub play which is more chaotic. That is really the main difference between the two types of gameplay and some prefer more structure wheras others prefer chaos. I personally prefer an organized chaos, such as this type of thing which I haven't seen in a good while:

I don't think those who prefer pickups lack the imagination on how to have fun in a pub. It really just comes down to preference and what you have the most fun doing.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 04-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
But my point with regards to the SG location is what is to say what is the correct way to do something versus the incorrect way?
it's called logic Kube, something i'm certain you'll never obtain. don't even waste your time typing paragraphs to him FDA. he'll be a conc thrower forever.

OvD CTF pubbing is pointless, there's no objective because there aren't 2 rounds and if there were 2 rounds the teams would be different the second round. unorganized pubbing only makes sense for AvD.

if Kube was going to make his pub moderately decent for CTF he could make a sensible rule such as - "Once there are 6 players on each team it becomes a full game." but I'm sure he'll follow in the TALOS footsteps for eternity and continue to be a carbon copy of the Old Timers server.. except with swearing!

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Honestly I think the most optimized game mode for pubbing is 2 way capture point, ala warpath. It is the ONLY game mode where every class is viable and at their most potential at all times.(and for both teams, at the same time) Scout and medics still get use out of all their concs every life without being over powered. Good for rushing and back capping. All the other classes can dm, and do their special thing. It allows more people to play what they want and do what they want, while keeping every one goal oriented.

AvD would come in next. With scout being useless on D, and only situational on O depending on the maps gren bags. Medic being ok for DM and throwing out minor heals. The rest of the classes can be played to their best pontential on D and O.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
Back when ETF had pubs there were "assault map" versions of popular maps, eg 2fort and sd2. They were basically the same map except blue had no base, just a respawn. It forces you to play o in a similar fashion to avd. It worked out really well with 12 or so players. In a pub environment 6v6 ovd is somewhat reasonable as not everyone is being productive most of the time.

Maybe for a larger server there could be a combo map, like "ff_shutdown2fort" with 4 teams and both maps on the same .bsp. The scores would be completely separate, and teams would be limited to 6 players. You could even include fun easter eggs like glass windows or tv monitors to the other map. You'd have to find some way to isolate sounds and things that go through walls of course.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

You're still gonna have stuff like O hw and all that jazz. Honestly it's not a matter of forcing someone into OvD or keeping the player count small. It's just how people play. Some classes just do not work out or are frustrating play against on O or D. Like I said there's always going to be some O hw I have to wait for ever for him to crawl back to the base, or I'll get to play against a D spy and get tranq'd half my runs.

That's why AvD would just be more optimal and make more sense. More people can play what they want on O or D, and still be a general help to their team/not a huge annoyance.

Obviously warpath type maps would still be better, but all we have is warpath.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 04-20-2013 at 06:55 PM.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #17
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

FDA, it is now on you to make another warpath-style map!

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 04-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

I've thought about it. And I certainly will eventually. Probly after the mapping contest.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #19
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
FDA, awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Anyway, AvD (& IvD) is much harder to map for. Rather than making 1 base, you make 3. And they all have to play well for RCTF, rather than CTF. It's why someone who makes CTF maps, will carry on making CTF maps. Why CTF is so fckin bloated with maps.

You also need to take the gameplay better. You need to know when the D players will back off from field to cap, and where the flag will be when they do. You need to place grenade packs where both A and D can easily get them on cap 1 and 2, and you need D spawns to take you to the cap rather than the foyer. It's really, rather hard. If someone never made a CTF map, and went straight to AvD (& IvD), it'd be easy for them. But CTF is easier to map for, so why would a new map developer pick AvD (& IvD) over CTF?

EDIT: Next map battle someone makes must be TC or AvD (not IvD).

Last edited by ddm999; 04-20-2013 at 08:40 PM.
ddm999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #20
WubbaDucky

Class/Position: Going for pr0 Engi
Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
fine. next contest will be a AvD map, gerrie style.