Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Communities, Leagues, Clans and Guilds

Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
homie in reboks'

Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^ †
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
UGC FF League is Open

UGC is restarting their FF league. It's 4 vs 4 and Offense vs Defense.

http://www.ugcleague.com/home_ff5.cfm: This is the link to the FF portion of the site, but there's also an FF section on their forums.

Everyone should consider making a team for UGC so maybe some guys from UGC's active TF2 community will try it out and increase FF's player base. It's pretty easy to set up a team.

No matter what it should be lots of fun.

If you're curious, and know how to contact them, I think Juice, Wubba, and iansir know more about what's going on.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
That is great news!

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
You all wanted a league not run by vtb, here it is.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
rofl.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
the_cake
Beta Tester

It might help the cause if there was an FF button on the top menu and there was actually some mention of it on the main page.

Some thoughts from my experiences about FF leagues in general:

Don't try dynamic scheduling; it just doesn't work. It turns into a mess of scheduling conflicts that people are expected to manage for a video game, this makes it especially hard for less hardcore teams which are necessary for even the slightest chance of league growth. You have to either set a date which will make it hard for a few people or have a league that will fail in 1 week.

In a community this small you will inevitably end up with 1 team with all the best players. You can't expect the type of personality that makes a good competitive player to "give a little," they will always gravitate towards what's best for their success as player and not the success of a community. This is the nature of the beast; no one who puts large amounts of time into a game with little or no payoff outside of their own ego can be expected to risk defeat by playing with less skilled players. It's for this reason that good players naturally band together in a competitive gaming environment. From this arises a skill gap issue which creates stale and uninteresting gameplay.

Normally the division system solves this problem; this makes 3 kinds of teams happy:

-Casual players who want to actually play the game instead of pub dm. They have a place to play with others who don't want to invest tons of time into a game, and will get an enjoyable alternative to pub play.

-Hardcore players who want to win above all else will inevitably end up in the top division, with other players who also want to be the best. This forces a competitive environment; it's impossible to stack the teams because everyone in the division is good. This also makes for interesting and spectator friendly gameplay.

-The "aspiring" competitive clan. These are the people who want to be the top tier clan but don't have the skill yet. The div system allows them to build skill gradually, all the while playing fun competitive games on the way. Their competitiveness will push them ahead of the people who are comfortable with their division. This allows competitive personalities to "win," effectively feeding their egos while they build the skill to enter the higher divisions.

In short, pretty much everyone is happy here.

Now take the case of a small community. Everyone is thrown together. The casual players get put up against a team they don't stand a chance against, and end up going 400-20 while being made fun of the whole time. The aspiring competitive team gets their asses handed to them from the get-go, egos get hurt, they move elsewhere. The one competitive team is bored out of their mind yet too afraid of a bruised ego to split up the talent.

No one here is happy, and this is why FF leagues inevitably self-destruct.

I've been ranting on for a while like I have some kind of solution but I really can't think of anything that can work here. The best I've seen in the past is just to avoid scheduling hardcore teams vs casual teams. The problem here is you end up putting the same clans vs each other all the time. But this is the reality of clan play in a small community and without some solution I'm afraid history will just keep repeating itself.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
onE
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D Scout
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Cake, less time typing about ff, and more time playing ff. thx
onE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
the_cake
Beta Tester

lol, it won't let me connect to servers! God clearly does not want me playing ff.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Dr. eXpl0si0n
exploder of things

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Posts Rated Helpful 17 Times
iz de internat brok3? YEP.
Dr. eXpl0si0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
VinnytheBoss
Boss 4 all da rite reasons

Class/Position: O scout/med D sol/demo
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Founder of the Goodfellas.
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Yeah, cake exactly. I used to schedule teams that were comparable with each other each week just to force a good game competitively each week.

It worked out good, but there was a flaw to that by plaiyng the same teams every week. Also the nature of the beast is for everyone to complain about the bad and not soak in and appreciate the good. There were many people who play this game religiously who could have stepped up and been an "admin" if you want to call it that and post a schedule each week. I just took on the job i guess becuase i wanted it to happen really bad. Lets see what happens with UGC tho. I am def willing to split up BOSS to make things a bit more fair.
VinnytheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #10
JuiceDD

Re;

Depending on how many teams are signed up for the UGC league, Will factor how many weeks the season will last, We set seasons at a Max of 13 weeks and a Min of 8 weeks, Meaning if we get 14 teams signed up and our season is set to 9 weeks, no 2 teams will have to play eachother but Once during that season, With the exception of the playoffs, Which usually lasts 3 weeks ...If you have any questions about the UGC-FF League please feel free to contact me on Mirc via " JuiceYJuice " Or Sit in Mirc channel ( Gamesurge #UGC-FF )
We could use the Idlers
Thank You
JuiceDD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
how about a ladder? - predetermined schedule where each rank number alternates between playing the rank number above/below them each week (and therefore the top/bottom ranked teams get every other week off, which they could use for the top team to help teach the bottom team if they want to).

Old 04-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #12
korey

Affiliations: LSD
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
New team!

Im gonna jump in this as soon as I dl ff. It be bad ass to come in with like 4 strong. Messsage me your user id on steam if you want in. Im taking anyone. Im kinda good at this game and have alien ware coming. Hit me up. Youll have fun.
korey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
Rck

When are games likely to be played? Being in EU the timezones mess me up, but if they are played around 12-1am GMT I could be involved
Rck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #14
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
hello, im alex. i joined a team, i'll play medic/engy. thanks

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc

Last edited by aleXtric; 05-07-2013 at 08:54 PM.
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
Sabbath

Posts Rated Helpful 7 Times
bad 90 120
Sabbath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
I like to spam forums. Do you like to spam forums?
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 04:07 AM   #17
9u-9u-9u
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demoman
Gametype: pipe spawn
Posts Rated Helpful 126 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_cake View Post
It might help the cause if there was an FF button on the top menu and there was actually some mention of it on the main page.

Some thoughts from my experiences about FF leagues in general:

Don't try dynamic scheduling; it just doesn't work. It turns into a mess of scheduling conflicts that people are expected to manage for a video game, this makes it especially hard for less hardcore teams which are necessary for even the slightest chance of league growth. You have to either set a date which will make it hard for a few people or have a league that will fail in 1 week.

In a community this small you will inevitably end up with 1 team with all the best players. You can't expect the type of personality that makes a good competitive player to "give a little," they will always gravitate towards what's best for their success as player and not the success of a community. This is the nature of the beast; no one who puts large amounts of time into a game with little or no payoff outside of their own ego can be expected to risk defeat by playing with less skilled players. It's for this reason that good players naturally band together in a competitive gaming environment. From this arises a skill gap issue which creates stale and uninteresting gameplay.

Normally the division system solves this problem; this makes 3 kinds of teams happy:

-Casual players who want to actually play the game instead of pub dm. They have a place to play with others who don't want to invest tons of time into a game, and will get an enjoyable alternative to pub play.

-Hardcore players who want to win above all else will inevitably end up in the top division, with other players who also want to be the best. This forces a competitive environment; it's impossible to stack the teams because everyone in the division is good. This also makes for interesting and spectator friendly gameplay.

-The "aspiring" competitive clan. These are the people who want to be the top tier clan but don't have the skill yet. The div system allows them to build skill gradually, all the while playing fun competitive games on the way. Their competitiveness will push them ahead of the people who are comfortable with their division. This allows competitive personalities to "win," effectively feeding their egos while they build the skill to enter the higher divisions.

In short, pretty much everyone is happy here.

Now take the case of a small community. Everyone is thrown together. The casual players get put up against a team they don't stand a chance against, and end up going 400-20 while being made fun of the whole time. The aspiring competitive team gets their asses handed to them from the get-go, egos get hurt, they move elsewhere. The one competitive team is bored out of their mind yet too afraid of a bruised ego to split up the talent.

No one here is happy, and this is why FF leagues inevitably self-destruct.

I've been ranting on for a while like I have some kind of solution but I really can't think of anything that can work here. The best I've seen in the past is just to avoid scheduling hardcore teams vs casual teams. The problem here is you end up putting the same clans vs each other all the time. But this is the reality of clan play in a small community and without some solution I'm afraid history will just keep repeating itself.
the ff cup was a good idea which solved the problem; semi-randomizing the teams by an admin to be approx. equal. it was an exciting prospect to be locked into playing as a team with people you didn't expect; i was sorry to see it not take off. the reason it failed was dynamic scheduling. maybe it would work if we did it differently
9u-9u-9u is offline   Reply With Quote