Old 07-25-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Dvorak Keyboard Users?

I never learned to type properly, but I'm still pretty efficient with this lame 'pecking' method, often scoring 90-100+ words per minute on some tests at my peak. I have long wanted to learn to type properly to increase this speed among other things.

Anyway, I was doing some inspired reading about the QWERTY keyboard. It turns out, this common keyboard layout is super inefficient. This layout was devised to purposely space the most commonly used keys out from one another. What kind of stupid idea was this? Well, the layout was devised when typewriters were the most advanced means of writing. Spacing the most commonly used letters close together meant the hammers would get jammed or stuck on one another. So, the QWERTY keyboard was born. It did well for avoiding these mechanical errors, but it crippled everyone in every other respect, especially when we moved to computer input. We've grown accustomed to this terrible layout probably presuming it's optimal.

I didn't know this. I knew about the Dvorak keyboard for some time, but I didn't think there was anything to it. I thought it was just hipster bullshit. "Hey, guys, look at my keyboard layout. It's different. I'm cool." but it turns out, it was designed for efficiency. All the most used keys are on the home row. The vowels are on the left side of the keyboard and most of the consonants on the right. This means improved speed, accuracy, less movement, more safety, and so on. I am thinking about switching to this layout (whether physically, virtually, or both) while I learn to type properly. So, question is:

Anyone here use a Dvorak keyboard or the layout? What has been your experience? Do you notice any improvements? How easy was it to learn?
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Resist the QWERTY world order

Old 07-25-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
Bridget
Banned

QWERTY keyboard users are sheep!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Do you have to type for your chosen career? If you do, do you get to choose the keyboard you use? If you don't, would you be bothered or slowed down but having to switch from one typing layout to another?

Other than those things to think about the only thing I could say is whatever makes you happy and more comfortable. Optimal layouts are cool.

Also, this sounds like something the Dyson vacuum dude should advertise.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Icculus
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
I never learned to type properly, but I'm still pretty efficient with this lame 'pecking' method, often scoring 90-100+ words per minute on some tests at my peak.
Lol?

You can "peck" 90-100 WPM?? I assume by peck you mean using all your fingers, not just the traditional 2-finger pecking method otherwise that's pretty much impossible.
Icculus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
trying to learn how to actually type is one thing, but using a completely different layout, that would be nearly impossible for me. i have every key's location memorized and it'd probably take me months to get used to a different layout.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Bridget
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
Lol?

You can "peck" 90-100 WPM?? I assume by peck you mean using all your fingers, not just the traditional 2-finger pecking method otherwise that's pretty much impossible.
No, It's not impossible. I do mean traditional 2-finger pecking.

Here are the results of tests from three different websites:

Quote:
Words Per Minute (WPM): 102
Words Typed: 75
Mistakes Made: 11

Words Per Minute (WPM): 103
Words Typed: 85
Mistakes Made: 9

Words Per Minute (WPM): 112
Words Typed: 93
Mistakes Made: 4

Base WPM: 107
Errors: 3 (97% Accuracy)
Adjusted WPM: 104

Base WPM: 80
Errors: 3 (96% Accuracy)
Adjusted WPM: 77

Base WPM: 104
Errors: 13 (87% Accuracy)
Adjusted WPM: 91

Base WPM: 110
Errors: 16 (85% Accuracy)
Adjusted WPM: 94

Base WPM: 95
Errors: 8 (91% Accuracy)
Adjusted WPM: 87

Words per Minute: 97wpm
Errors: 8

Words per Minute: 95wpm
Errors: 2

Words per Minute: 110wpm
Errors: 3
My accuracy suffers. I'll get a screen recorder sometime. Back to the original thread, I got the Dvorak home-row keys down in a day or two. It's still a little weird forgetting the location of key right under your fingers, but I notice improvement. Right off the bat, I am able to construct most of the 'meat' of sentences with the home-row keys.

I don't have any worry about switching between the two. I am going to apply traditional typing style to Dvorak and keep my lame pecking method for QWERTY. I figure the differences in typing styles will retain my muscle memories and allow me to use both keyboard layouts.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Icculus
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
No, It's not impossible. I do mean traditional 2-finger pecking.

Here are the results of tests from three different websites:

My accuracy suffers. I'll get a screen recorder sometime. Back to the original thread, I got the Dvorak home-row keys down in a day or two. It's still a little weird forgetting the location of key right under your fingers, but I notice improvement. Right off the bat, I am able to construct most of the 'meat' of sentences with the home-row keys.

I don't have any worry about switching between the two. I am going to apply traditional typing style to Dvorak and keep my lame pecking method for QWERTY. I figure the differences in typing styles will retain my muscle memories and allow me to use both keyboard layouts.
Ok fair enough.. That's pretty unbelievable and very impressive if true. I've never tried DVORAK but i've been typing with qwerty so long that it would probably be hard to switch. That's where Mavis Beacon comes in. She's very friendly and encouraging.

-Icculus
Icculus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
I couldn't see that much of a difference in efficiencey. I type properly, and when us proper typers type our fingers are using all the keys at the same time.

I would be more inclined to believe you got your strategem completely backwards. Your two fingered typing would most likely see improved results from a "More efficient board" since it's only those two fingers, and a better layout would lessen the amount your whole hand has to move just to get to a different key.

But using all your fingers, with a memorized layout, it's not like it's that much of an effort to hit 8-10 keys simultaneously anyways.

Last edited by Hammock; 07-26-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
Etzell
D&A Member

I suggest learning to type first. If that doesn't give you the increase you desire, then I'd try learning a different format. The problem is, everywhere you go, you'll be confronted with QWERTY. So you might learn to kick ass on your personal computer, but then you're essentially fucked elsewhere.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010, 01:45 AM   #11
Damascus
Comic Artist
D&A Member

I tried. I really did.

But 12 years of QWERTY is really hard to just give up.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:58 AM   #12
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
If you think 12 is bad....try 35.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010, 04:46 AM   #13
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
About... 9 years ago now I traveled with my family through parts of Europe. On my way I stopped at nearly every internet cafe I could find (back when they existed). One thing I learned was that different countries have slightly different layouts then the US. Even though I finger type (using most of my fingers but not using traditional methods), I found that I mistyped nearly everything because I was expecting the US layout.

So while it may be more productive, you have to re-teach yourself. Also, where you work may not have a DVORAK option. And finding a laptop with a native DVORAK keyboard will probably be a bitch and a half.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #14
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Couldn't you just change the keyboard layout in windows and then switch the keys around?
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote