Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Debates & Arguments

Old 01-31-2010, 01:03 AM   #1
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Man Made Global Warming

This just keeps falling apart for them more and more. Hefreakinglarious.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...e-article.html

Their evidence is mountaineering magazines. Well get me Dudley DoRight on the phone!

Old 01-31-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
This is old news. I would have expected you to be up-to-date on the septic nonsense.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...allible-shock/

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

It's not the idiots who make the data up that I find a problem, it's the complete morons that continue to say "OH THE SCIENCE IS PERFECT YOU DENIER!!!" even though story after story after story keeps coming out that the science is fiction. Those of us who have seen real science knew it was bunk, have been showing the money trails that lead back to people like Al Gore, and made it clear that this is all power/riches scheme. Still they deny that's the case... but we know the truth is coming out, and we're not worried. The left, on the other hand, is.

Scuzzy

Old 01-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Backstaber
Custom User Title
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout Offence
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: None
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7009705.ece
Backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstaber View Post
I am thinking that SCIENTISTS should stop using reports by ACTIVISTS to base their conclusions.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 03:03 AM   #6
Backstaber
Custom User Title
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout Offence
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: None
Looks like they already got rid of the article ... how unfortunate.
Backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR View Post
This is old news. I would have expected you to be up-to-date on the septic nonsense.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...allible-shock/
Interesting article. I just glanced over it the first time. Some interesting items from the article:

"the statement has had some press attention since the report particularly in the Indian press, at least according to Google News, even though it was not familiar to us before last month.

"it is therefore obvious that this error should be corrected"

"In this case, it appears that not enough people with relevant experience saw this text, or if they saw it, did not comment publicly.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2010, 03:52 AM   #8
Professional
Fortress Forever Staff

Gametype: A/D
Affiliations: Un-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy View Post
Those of us who have seen real science knew it was bunk, have been showing the money trails that lead back to people like Al Gore, and made it clear that this is all power/riches scheme.
Who showed YOU the "real science"? And how can we define "real science"? Real in the way in the same way that I can write down some arbitrary numbers and show them to someone and proceed to enlighten them in the fact that they know nothing?

I just remembered that everyone on the internet is an expert in everything.
Professional is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professional View Post
And how can we define "real science"?
Well, you can't test it for one. You can observe data all day long, but we aren't able to recreate the data because of the obvious constraints surrounding it.

The only comparable thing to this is evolution... except we can test that.

So, ignoring that, there are other problems with MMGW. One such problem is the lack of peer review, which is where a lot of the faults of MMGW are being found in. That is to say that upon review of the data, faults, inaccuracies, and complete fabrications have been found. Everything from code that gives rigged results to changed data, to absolute bullshit have been found.

The biggest issue is the politicization of the science. Science has no role in politics and politics has no role in science.

With that said, it's up in the air whether or not MMGW is true or not. The evidence is very damning against it and those that promote it clearly have political and economic agendas to fulfill.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Professional
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
The biggest issue is the politicization of the science. Science has no role in politics and politics has no role in science.
Thats exactly the problem right there. Bias should in no way at all be able to enter science, but its going to always find its way back in just to promote someone's political and economic ideology.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professional View Post
Thats exactly the problem right there. Bias should in no way at all be able to enter science, but its going to always find its way back in just to promote someone's political and economic ideology.
AMEN!

Old 02-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
Professional
Fortress Forever Staff

I will however say that in my opinion (since all theories on "climate change" are just that, opinions) is that its a natural occurrence that happening quicker than it should with our help.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #13
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

This just in. oops and not even a US based paper.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:54 AM   #14
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

It's hard to find such blatant misinformation. Bravo.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #15
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
It's hard to find such blatant misinformation. Bravo.
I'm not sure I follow.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #16
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

That's unfortunate.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #17
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Quote:
That's unfortunate.
You're becoming Scuzzy.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #18
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
My question is (Since I don't wish to get into the dogma of the actual anthropogenic vs. natural warming debate), what happens when we find out that everything we're going through is perfectly natural and (mostly) out of our control? I'm no scientist by any mean or measure, but after taking an interest in Volcanology and reading a lot about it, it's obvious that Volcanology is the driving factor in Earth's climate, and there's still a TON we don't understand about how the Earth operates.

Another thing that makes me question the current science, is, remember how there was a supposed meteorite 60 million years ago that wiped out the dinosaurs? If this was accurate, and a meteorite did wipe out the dinosaurs, it would have flooded the Earth's atmosphere with massive amounts of c02, more massive than probably anything else the Earth had previously seen. But the Earth didn't 'die', in fact, it regulated itself back to what we could consider 'normal'. However, I do know that oxygen levels were much higher back during that period in Earth's history (which is why many of the creatures were so much larger).

I think the problem we're facing here, is that we (as a collective civilization) think we have the power to control everything, when in reality we don't. Sure, this isn't the 14th century, and we know for a fact that the Sun is the center of the solar system, but what if it turns out we're wrong about this whole climate thing? I think the root of the problem is our incapability of realizing humongous scales. Time, space, etc. The Earth has been around for billions of years. Billions. We're lucky to make it to 90. And even luckier to make it to 100. Our problem is, we grow up in a short span of time, and that is 'normal' to us. The sun is shining, it snows every winter, it rains in the summer, and it repeats itself. If there's any deviation from that cycle, people flip out. The problem with our is, the Earth's surface is constantly changing, with, or without, our help. There is no such thing as normality or a constant, when it comes to our climate. That's why you can find fossils of sea creatures in the rocks in Central Park. Does Pangaea ring a bell for anyone? It's pretty much accepted scientific fact that all the continents were conjoined at one period in time. It's also scientific belief that the Earth once went through a 'snowball' period, where the Earth froze up into a giant snowball. So it's pretty obvious that there really is no such thing as an 'abnormal' climate. And I guess my point is, people have a hard time realizing this very simple truism.

Also;

Water absorbs more infrared radiation (from the Sun) than anything else in our atmosphere, and there's far more water vapor in our atmosphere than there is c02. There's also more water vapor in polar/arctic regions than anywhere else.

Last edited by GenghisTron; 02-15-2010 at 04:12 PM.
GenghisTron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
If this was accurate, and a meteorite did wipe out the dinosaurs, it would have flooded the Earth's atmosphere with massive amounts of c02, more massive than probably anything else the Earth had previously seen. But the Earth didn't 'die', in fact, it regulated itself back to what we could consider 'normal'.
Who thinks the Earth is going to 'die' because of Global Warming? The concern over global warming is probably much akin to the other effects of that meteorite that killed the dinosaurs. It also killed 99% of everything and plunged us into an ice age. I think that would suck.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast View Post
Who thinks the Earth is going to 'die' because of Global Warming? The concern over global warming is probably much akin to the other effects of that meteorite that killed the dinosaurs. It also killed 99% of everything and plunged us into an ice age. I think that would suck.
It was a obvious hyperbole on my part, but yes, there are a few hysterics out there claiming we are 'killing' the Earth. Now, I'm not completely cynical when it comes to energy and pollution, I think we have nothing to lose from finding alternate sources of energy, and pollution is a terrible thing, but by no means is the planet 'dying'. And yes, if what we're experiencing now is going to kill us all, and plunge us into an ice age, I don't think lying to us and telling us we're responsible for it, is the way to fix the supposed problem. Do you?

Also, some comic relief from non-other than George Carlin;