Old 10-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
4v4 league? Any interest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
Ok, so this new 4v4/2v2 league will be the FF.PL (FF.Pickup League), and Vinny and I will be the head admins. Expect a website sometime in the future.

If you guys have any suggestions, feel free to post 'em up (caesiums have been noted).

Not sure how to handle the whole EU situation. Perhaps some sort of opt-in type dealie, but it seems like it's going to get complicated. Will have to talk it over with Vinny.

EDIT: http://www.ffpickup.com/league/
And there you have it.

__________________________________________________ ______

Vinny spoke about this in #ff.pickup and I support it. In fact, I support it so much that I'm making this thread just to see if there is any interest and to discuss the pros and cons of it. While the exact format was not talked about (4v4 OVD or 4v4 full game) I do believe that 4v4 OVD was being discussed, so lets talk about it.

Pros: Fewer players required than 5v. Represents how FF is best played without the insane 14-18 player requirement. Even number of O and D means that both have an even number of players. More action. Possibility of more clans or clans with multiple squads.

Cons: Team that plays offense second has an advantage (might be solved with 4 15 minute rounds, where one team goes first and last while the other team plays twice in a row). Lower number of players means less players play per game.

If you can think of any other pros or cons please say what they are. Now here is a touchy subject.

In this conversation, cash dough money was brought up. A prize and a fee. What the prize and fee for entering would be, dunno. I'm not going to give my opinion on this. I want to see your opinions. Would you play if there was a chance to win some cash? Would you put some cash on the table to enter said league? Do you think something like this would draw in some more players? Are you opposed to the idea of a fee to enter a league? Don't like the idea of a prize? Just think the whole idea for a 4v league is stupid?

Please note: This is just a discussion. Keep e-peens, egos, and other internet related things out of it. Keep things civil and keep talk about who is better than who out this. No insults, just discussion.

So lets hear it.

Another note: Discussion of a prize and fee does not mean that either will be included.

Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Credge; 10-04-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Pretty sure that a pay to play league wouldn't work very well in a community this small. I know I wouldn't play in it.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Buckshot Moose
Pretty sure that a pay to play league wouldn't work very well in a community this small. I know I wouldn't play in it.
I think the idea was that it would draw people in. Again, not going to give my opinion on it but I do want to see what others think and say.

Ronald Reagan

Old 10-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
teh_rape
Supa-leet-cap-a-cop

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I know I would not take part in it.
teh_rape is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_rape
I know I would not take part in it.
Any reason why? Just because I included prizes and fees in to the discussion does not mean that's the point of the league.

Maybe I should make that more clear.

Ronald Reagan

Old 10-01-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
I would love to play 4v4. I don't think I would ever pay for a league that offers prizes.

That being said... I would pay an entrance fee at a tournament for this game!!!
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
VinnytheBoss
Boss 4 all da rite reasons

Class/Position: O scout/med D sol/demo
Affiliations: Founder of the Goodfellas.
in TF2, CEVO is a pay league im pretty sure. And the reward is amazing. 5000 or 1000 im not sure. But regardless, money aside. 4v4 league would be great. I think a small entrance fee to a tournement would be great. I would pay it for sure. To know I could win money I would def do it

If i were to start a 4v4 and have cash prizes involved. I'd open the books and show the community exactly how much money in fees were brought in. What I am saying is, I wouldn't be doing it for profit. All the money brought into the game wouuld be the prize for the winners. and I would be very open with who payed what. How much money was payed etc. Anyways, money or not, I support a 4v4 league, USA and EU for sure. I know they many ppl who dont even play this game any more (they quit it) said they would come back if there was a 4v4 style league or tourney.
VinnytheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
Zuljin
mimic- Zuljin`aG

Class/Position: O Scout
Affiliations: mimic, mcccxxxvii
I think a 4v4 league would be great. It would have to be 4v4 OvD and not a full game since it would be too much like a full game of 5v.

I think the best round system would be 4 rounds of 15 minutes, with no break between rounds 1&2 and 3&4, with a normal 10 minute break between rounds 2&3. Although this might make the match really long (maybe rounds of 10 minutes?)

No fee.
Zuljin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On

Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
I thought everyone already played to win the prize? Now we have to pay to win it?
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
VinnytheBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartialSchism
I thought everyone already played to win the prize? Now we have to pay to win it?

how do u think those leagues are started??

every league i know of that gives a prize you have to pay to sign up...

duh

Old 10-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

I say no to a pay to play league, but yes to 4v4 and yes to FF Cash tournaments.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #12
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On

Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
Where would the money come from for FF cash tournaments if you dont pay to play?? besides we got 5v5 how about 2v2 ?
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
4v4 OvD league would be sweet, but no way in hell would i pay for it. i play FF for fun and good times, and while i do play to win, i dont have the time to practice and play as much as other people, so i would pretty much just be throwing my money away. i can think of better things to do with my money than give it to the fellas
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #14
teh_rape
Supa-leet-cap-a-cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
Any reason why? Just because I included prizes and fees in to the discussion does not mean that's the point of the league.

Maybe I should make that more clear.
I play in UGC and soon to be TFL.. that's enough FF time for me. Along with the pay-to-play deal..
I can't see myself joining another league any time soon. Plus what skanky said, I like playing for fun.
teh_rape is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #15
tim_
mimic- 3k. leisure^BtU

Class/Position: Fucker/On Your Mom
Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: #mimic #pick
I would be down for a 4v4 OvD league, and I agree with everyone else that I would not pay to play, BUT on a side note a Prize Tournement might draw some of the TFC and TF2 people over to the dark side....
tim_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
VinnytheBoss

okay im happy you all would love prizes...but ppl dont just dip money out of thier own pocket to get prizes...a small fee of lets say 7.95 to join the tournament is more then fair. how do you think they get prizes??? theres a fee to to join idiots...

so dont say you want a prize tournament if your not willing to shell out a small fee to play...

honestly i dont care either way. i would like to see a 4v4 league regardless.. But money involving would make things so much more interesting. And many more players would probably be interested bringing ALOT more competition into the mix.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #17
tim_
mimic- 3k. leisure^BtU

Class/Position: Fucker/On Your Mom
Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: #mimic #pick
I was agreeing with you vinny, if there was a prize tourny then the money would come from the entries or a sponser or both, and you could do could make door prizes for most deaths, most kills, most caps stuff like that.
tim_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #18
VinnytheBoss

yea agreed....it would be fun yo seriously....

i say we just do a 5 dollar entry fee...pool the money up...on the website show how many players registered and entered...showing how much money was pooled up...and divide the money into 1st place second place prizes depending on how many ppl sign up... no profits made ...5 dollars is nothing yo seriously....to bring AWESOME competition into the play 5 dollars is a small price to pay... 5 dollars * 100 players = $500.... = $400 1st place prize... $100 second place prize

how fuckin cool wit that be??

Old 10-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #19
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Sorry let me clarify what I meant when I said cash tournament.

A Tournament at an EVENT where the prize money is derrived from the entry fee of the event.

I would go to a LAN, and pay an entry fee, if they had a FF tournament.

Hope that helps

Old 10-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #20
fataL`
PUTTIN' IN WORK!

Class/Position: Soldier/Demo-(D) Scout/Medic-(O)
Affiliations: fx. -RS
all good idea's but the cash prize would not be that big considering you would most likely have to split the money among the teammates which you would probably have than 4 players on your roster.
fataL` is offline   Reply With Quote