Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 12-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
yfni&len

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
need rsync alternative or solution.

I have two fileservers. Fileserver A = Source. Fileserver B = Destination/Backup.

They are connected to eachother through the internet but are both on the same vpn.

Since the amount of data transferred is massive ( 750gb+ sometimes more).
I use an external hdd as go between. (inet connection is adsl2 max)

So what rsync does is compare A to B and anything that is missing on B is copied to the external HDD. Which I then bring to location B and do a normal copy paste. This all works fine.

The process of comparing A to B and then copying from A to ext HDD takes too long (it's esata). Takes about a day for 300gb. I don't understand why.

So I need an alternative or a fix for rsync.
both run windows.

below you see my rsync code
Code:
SETLOCAL
SET CWRSYNCHOME=%PROGRAMFILES%\CWRSYNC
SET CYGWIN=nontsec
SET HOME=%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%
SET CWOLDPATH=%PATH%
SET PATH=%CWRSYNCHOME%\BIN;%PATH%
rsync -ar --exclude "\[A.00\]\ Nieuw" --exclude "\[D.00\]\ Familie\ Video8" --exclude "\[D.01\]\ Familie\ VHS" --exclude "\[D.02\]\ Familie\ DVR" --exclude "\[C.02\]\ TV\ Series\ (2\)" --compare-dest=/cygdrive/y/ /cygdrive/c/MediaJunc/Films/ /cygdrive/r/

Last edited by yfni&len; 12-31-2008 at 02:13 PM.
yfni&len is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Can you provide a little more information on your hardware? What brand and model servers or motherboards? What brand and model is the USB drive. You could be seeing an issue with the USB or the drive itself. I have seen HUGE differences in the effective data transfer rates between drives and USB controllers.

By way of example...When imaging a Dell Optiplex 330 running Windows 2003 Server (clean build) it takes about 1/2 hour. The identical image made from a Dell 1950 server takes about 4 minutes. In both instances the same external drive is used. The installed operating system has no impact on the imaging time as this is all done from a bootable Windows PE environment.

I suspect that you're probably dealing with a USB bottleneck. Lower tier hardware either in the USB controller or the external hard drive.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
yfni&len

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I've just found a tiny program that seems to be able to do what I want.

It's called ThirdDir found it in one of the remote corners of the web...It's not pretty but it's easy to use and seems to do what I want.

Although it has some silly bugs....It doesn't allow capitals in the exception/ignore box. Can work around it by just replace the capitals with *.
http://www.mtg.sk/rva/

thanks for reply!
yfni&len is offline   Reply With Quote