Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you think this happens?
Yes 10 43.48%
No 4 17.39%
Don't know/Don't answer 9 39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
o_lord asriel

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
N people always beat <<N

I am so sick of this, and it's what happens in every group/society.

Survival of the fittest...where "fittest" means "many"

The immidiate topic that remind me of this was that of Blloodsire and his quicksniping post, but I am totally sure there are more.Edit: The topic is this http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...ead.php?t=5163 , thanks ekiM.

First, someone makes a decent post. He might state some facts that, unfortunately for him it seems, include that he has years of experience, has mastered a special/unusual technique, and so many other whatever stuff. These can serve as triggers for charging him for being elitist, 0m9 I kn0w 17 411-guy and so on.

Disagreements start to appear, and they build up on strength, as any of those who read it and disagree realise they are on the "power side". In this specific example, bloodsire was alone. Mervaka stated neutrally that his post had some validity, and I remember the 2nd person that used some reason was Rax? at about the third page. Soooooo......as I said, since the realization of the power side starts to build up, a point is reached when from a decent conversation the power side realizes they have power enough to start using sarcasm.

And then the conversation degenerates and the poor person who haves a point must make an epic defense at another 1000 who think "we CANT be beaten by just this 1's reason". Like Drizzt defending on 10 Marileths.

I really don't know why so much passion. The guy said something about a technique and you are quick to judge it without even knowing it, just like he predicted/said what other people do:

"Before I continue, I recognize the angst many have against snipers and the lack of respect we get."

He's been accused of elitism: Know the damn word guys. Elitism is not accepting others to come into your "guild". This one tired himself to copy the webpage, the server ip's, and so on. This ain't elitism.

There are much more to say but I won't keep on on just an example. Sooner or later another thread will come up and people will gang up accusing someone of things he haven't done for (not so) obvious internal character reasons.

I would like people who are neutral, and even better, those who are in disagreement to criticize offensive behaviour of this manner: all maturity of the world is the ability to have a disagreement without sarcasm and flames.

Last edited by o_lord asriel; 08-03-2006 at 07:43 PM.
o_lord asriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
o_alligator

Son, this belongs in the chat forum.
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
o_lord asriel

Not as long as it expresses what happens in this forum. I don't use these forums for chat purposes; I only care for FF. Out of this care has my complaint come out. It would be nice if disagreements weren't that way for soccer teams too, but I only care for FF.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
o_fresh

There are much worse forums out there. If people piss you off, just ignore them.

The FF community with widen and vary after a release.
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
o_lord asriel

People may or may not "piss me off", but that is not reason to end my struggle/wish to see THIS forum being perfect (or rather, a bit better).

Old 08-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I had to vote "Don't know/Don't answer" because your post is unreadable and I can't figure out what the poll is for. If you're trying to make a point that you think is important why wouldn't you go back and check that your post makes sense? At least link to the thread that you're talking about.

For what it's worth, while he was trying to be polite, Bloodsire's first few posts in that thread seemed like they could have been designed to antagonise people - he came off as incredibly egotisitcal and attacked arguments people simply weren't making.

Quote:
If I sound elitist, I am sorry for that, but you dont know how often I've been banned for hacking, when im doing nothing but playing the game the best I can. It happens often to people within this league, so the "we" was according to that. We are another breed that many people havent been exposed to, and simply dont respect or understand.
Quote:
If this angers you and you hate the fact that snipers live/breathe/shoot a weapon, then I am sorry and fully apologize.
Quote:
YES WE ARE ANOTHER BREATHE. Dont believe me, visit slv2.com, pm B||oodSire, Ill set you up with an array of sniper servers that we can go play in and lets see how fast you say I hack.
Quote:
I know the lot of you consider Snipers to be noobs, this is the reason for my disdain, dont knock what you dont know.
Quote:
Anytime anyone mentions the word snipe in this game you get a bunch of people rambling off how stupid the class is. Since none of you have experience the sniping league, please dont knock that either. If you wish to find out...my offer stands.
And he never uploaded a demo

Last edited by o_ekim; 08-03-2006 at 11:17 AM.
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
o_nezumi

1) Why the crap is this a poll?

2) I voted yes. Of course this sort of thing happens. I'm in that boat with teleporters. A lot of grumpy old-schoolers don't like their game changing at all, even the tele's did next to nothing to change gameplay (Except on certain specific maps, and only then because the map is missing a few entities)*. This is just how conversation works though. I mean, what are we gonna do about it?

3) I think the conversation started off completely reasonable and only broke down once B||oodSire started to sound more and more egotistical. And anyway, everyone had a good point. It's not like their arguments sprung out of the fact that a lot of people disagreed with B||ood.

*Bam! Couldn't resist the opportunity.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
o_ivaqual

internet drama itt
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
o_frenchtoast

This forum would lick balls without the sarcasm.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #10
o_deadpool

an elite sniper? lol
o_deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #11
o_darknight

I love the whole 'we are another breed' thing. Makes me chuckle.
o_darknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 04:52 PM   #12
o_dancingfool

Asriel, quit whining. You don't see me making threads about things that make me mad.
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #13
o_yoda891

People pick sides, it's how a lot of society functions. Get over it. Even though I say this, I will admit some people were being a bit harsh to B||oodsire, but he did come off as treating the forum members as ignorant twits that haven't seen the other side of tfc/qwtf/etf, when realistically, some of the best players the games have seen are members here.
o_yoda891 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #14
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Did you make a fucking Drizzt reference?

Old 08-03-2006, 05:38 PM   #15
o_puppychow

o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #16
o_dancingfool

Awwww. Puppychow I would hug you if your avatar didn't look like it would kick my ass if I did.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #17
o_puppychow

t3h pooh owns.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #18
o_dancingfool

Damn straight.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #19
o_etzell

Try some of this with your w[h]ine.

B||oodsire was told, straight-up by me what I thought of his particular brand of posting, and I stand by it. Just because he has an opinion doesn't mean that he's exempt from being an elitist (which he was) about it.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 07:31 PM   #20
o_lord asriel

Replies to all...or most!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekiM
I had to vote "Don't know/Don't answer" because your post is unreadable and I can't figure out what the poll is for. If you're trying to make a point that you think is important why wouldn't you go back and check that your post makes sense? At least link to the thread that you're talking about.
If my post is unreadable, I partly apologise and I partly have to say that I could do nothing more...maybe I speak in a strange way? Consider also English not being my mother tongue. And also I am sorry for not including the thread....truly.

Quote:
For what it's worth, while he was trying to be polite, Bloodsire's first few posts in that thread seemed like they could have been designed to antagonise people - he came off as incredibly egotisitcal and attacked arguments people simply weren't making.
Most of the posts you quoted were including the "we are another breathe" thing. You know what? I believe him for the simple reason that I have been playing tfc 5 years, nothing too shabby, but I know what the x technique means. However I have never heard of quicksniping, or ever see one do it. I have never seen it in any forum, and I bet most people who were angry at the "we are another breed" phrase indeed did not know it since the guy had to explain. And also, saying "I am another breathe" doesn't mean "I pwn you all".

Quote:
And he never uploaded a demo
As you never went into the server he mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
1) Why the crap is this a poll?

2) I voted yes. Of course this sort of thing happens. I'm in that boat with teleporters. A lot of grumpy old-schoolers don't like their game changing at all, even the tele's did next to nothing to change gameplay (Except on certain specific maps, and only then because the map is missing a few entities)*. This is just how conversation works though. I mean, what are we gonna do about it?

3) I think the conversation started off completely reasonable and only broke down once B||oodSire started to sound more and more egotistical. And anyway, everyone had a good point. It's not like their arguments sprung out of the fact that a lot of people disagreed with B||ood.
1) Well, the fact that there are both yes and nos justifies its existence, no?

2) Conversation does not work in a "if I see I'm powerful I start mocking" way.

3) I really don't think your average egoistical guy would spend so much time justifying a point in a forum he sees most are disagreeing with him in a mocking way. I truly found no egoism in his posts. I only see a person who has figured an aspect of the game and is concerned about keeping it, and he receives a "shut up you I-think-I'm-God idiot" just because OUR egoism is strong enough not to accept we have missed a technique in all these years, probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
This forum would lick balls without the sarcasm.
O really? I have the luxury of knowing basic psychology AND my mother tongue being greek, as "sarcasm" is a greek word, and I can tell you sarcasm is a thing that creates *only* negative stuff. Noone gains from it. And actually, I am trying very hard not to use it on your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingFool
Asriel, quit whining. You don't see me making threads about things that make me mad.
omg wait...wasn't that one YOURS? *deleting thread* :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda891
People pick sides, it's how a lot of society functions. Get over it. Even though I say this, I will admit some people were being a bit harsh to B||oodsire, but he did come off as treating the forum members as ignorant twits that haven't seen the other side of tfc/qwtf/etf, when realistically, some of the best players the games have seen are members here.
People pick sides, yes. It happens, and is right. When 10 people have opinion A and 1 has B, A is taken as correct. It happens, and it is not right. He indeed treated the forum members as ignorant, yes, twits, no, and being a very good player doesn't grant you you haven't missed a technique that someone probably found by luck and didn't get widespread. Saying someone ignorant of a technique is NOT the same as saying you're not a skilled player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Did you make a fucking Drizzt reference?
Yeah Couldn't resist it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
Just because he has an opinion doesn't mean that he's exempt from being an elitist (which he was) about it.
All I recall him saying is that he had mastered a specific sniper technique which was potent. Same thing like if all the comunity didn't use the concs to fly and he came and said "I have mastered the conc and when people see me do this they ban me from their servers". Then he would be an elitist again, right? And remember, elitist means "I am elite and you will never be", not "I am elite but you can try to be too". That is skilled, not elite. Elitism indicates closed groups. And you believing otherwise not only proves you do not know what the word means, but also you have not paid enough attention to my post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Asriel
He's been accused of elitism: Know the damn word guys. Elitism is not accepting others to come into your "guild". This one tired himself to copy the webpage, the server ip's, and so on. This ain't elitism.