Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 08-31-2006, 06:36 PM   #181
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
What are we supposed to be able to read from that picture?
It's supposed to be a book about alchemy, read by the characters in the show. Instead it's an excerpt from a review of a d20 Dungeons & Dragons book, detailing the alchemy laboratory in it.

To the above: Dude, I watch TV and stuff to be pleased. If the show in question isn't trying to please me, why the fuck should I bother? I can get plenty of sad/crummy endings in my own life, I don't need a TV show to do it for me.

Man, I don't really mind anime. There's a lot of it I don't like, a lot of it I do, and many many times more that I haven't seen or heard of. I'll give a particular anime a chance, but I don't go seeking it out - THOSE are the people I don't get. They jump on shit just because it's anime, with no regard for whether or not it's any good. "Oh, anime! Let's hop on that bandwagon!" The smart ones will find a lousy one and ditch it, the stupid ones cling anyway. It drives me insane. Anime is not the be-all end-all of animated entertainment.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:19 PM   #182
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Totally agree about Evangelion's ending and the comment on Cowboy Bebop though I have no basis for comparison as I've never watched the series with the Japanese soundtrack and english subtitles enabled ...wouldn't do me much good as I know very little Japanese.

Eva's ending was a huge disappointment.

And I did not realize that you were referencing all of the OVA's for Samurai X.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2006, 09:12 PM   #183
o_nezumi

This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk
or ~20+ episodes of evangelion which some director wrote on antidepressants and seriously fucked up the ending?
And this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Man, I don't really mind anime. There's a lot of it I don't like, a lot of it I do, and many many times more that I haven't seen or heard of. I'll give a particular anime a chance, but I don't go seeking it out - THOSE are the people I don't get. They jump on shit just because it's anime, with no regard for whether or not it's any good. "Oh, anime! Let's hop on that bandwagon!" The smart ones will find a lousy one and ditch it, the stupid ones cling anyway. It drives me insane. Anime is not the be-all end-all of animated entertainment.
Need to be restated.

Although in response to Circ I should point out that with anime you can track writers, directors, animation studios or even voice actors (although I never really understood that) and find more stuff you'll probably like by the same people, and it's generally easier to download/buy than american stuff (although that's changing).
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2006, 09:16 PM   #184
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
This:

And this:

Need to be restated.

Although in response to Circ I should point out that with anime you can track writers, directors, animation studios or even voice actors (although I never really understood that) and find more stuff you'll probably like by the same people, and it's generally easier to download/buy than american stuff (although that's changing).
Cartoon network seems to recycle a number of the same voice actors...whoever voices Mandy on Grim Adventures also does work in severl other cartoons... And I see that Gendy Tartankovsky (however it's spelled) as director for quite a few...Samurai Jack of note....haven't seen that one in quite some time...

Old 08-31-2006, 09:56 PM   #185
o_tyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
Cartoon network seems to recycle a number of the same voice actors...whoever voices Mandy on Grim Adventures also does work in severl other cartoons... And I see that Gendy Tartankovsky (however it's spelled) as director for quite a few...Samurai Jack of note....haven't seen that one in quite some time...

Just for curiosity, I have listened to many series with dubs (only a few episodes, of which is all I can handle) and this statement is 100% true. I think there are a total of like 5 american anime voices. In Berserk, for example, I bet like 6 or so of the characters are the same voice actor just using different tones and pitches. Its so fucking obvious. Its so easy to spot someone "trying" to sound like they have a deep voice when really they don't. It simply sounds like a joke. Same goes for the girls. It seems like one girl does all the voices. It's also obvious when the actor tries to sound young by talking in a fake high pitched whiny voice.

For the love of god, American dubs need to hire more voice actors. Maybe someone would say "but they don't have the budget for it" What a crumby excuse. I'd do it for free, joe blow would do it for free, many people would do it for free. It's a chance for your voice, your own voice to be heard nationally! How cool would that be? Even if you are paid very shabbily, its still cool!

Any ways...dubs suck dick.
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2006, 10:01 PM   #186
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

It does come down to money, though. Getting good voice actors is expensive. Disney did a pretty good job dubbing Miyazaki's stuff, but Disney has deep pockets and access to good voice talent.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2006, 10:20 PM   #187
o_zaskar

Alotta dubs suck, but some are good. But still i rather listen without needing to focus so intently on the screen to read, its not relaxing.

I hate those people though who just get pissed at dubs because "ive heard the Original and thats not how they sound!", damn ffs shut up Some people wont be happy unless a dub is the same voice actor as it was in japan who was made to learn English, and then the script needs to be Exactly translated, regardless if the sentences translated wont be fluid. And others wont be happy then cause being that guy who only liked the imported original Japanese voices with subs makes them feel elite.

BTW anyone know if Lupin the 3rd is really like that pre dub or if it is just heavily modded/localized. Its funny as hell so i dont care, but still just curious.
o_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2006, 10:23 PM   #188
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I would guess heavily "localized"

That's ok, though, since Jap cultural references just don't transfer.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:27 PM   #189
o_skull

Baaaaaack to thread, I'm going to start watching Naruto again, since the fillers are getting to an end. In episode 200 kakashi gaiden will begin, and in the 205, the new season will do so. Anyway, the latest episode is 199, so, next week, Naruto ftw!
o_skull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2006, 10:30 PM   #190
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Yeah, I'm not touching Naruto until the fillers are over.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:42 PM   #191
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
I would guess heavily "localized"

That's ok, though, since Jap cultural references just don't transfer.
There are colloqualisms in every language and cultural references that simply won't translate. However, I am thinking that's not what Tyrus was referring to.

On the limited number of voice actors the stuff of Cartoon Network produces strikes me as being "fast food animation". How much can we shovel at you and how fast can we do it. I think you can point to animation studios in other countries that do the exact same thing. That's Part of what makes me appreciate good anime so much more. For the good stuff...the way the do what they do is art. You can see the care for the results in what they do and it makes all the difference in the world.

Personally, I've always liked the Mecha concept...Gundam was such a mixed bag for me depending on which series you look at. Love the concept...never found anything that really struck a chord for me.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:48 PM   #192
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I thought Gundam Seed Destiny was pretty darn good. Wasn't such a fan of Gundam Seed, which you'd have to watch for Destiny to make any sense. Mostly b/c the main character in GS was kinda whiny, though not nearly to Evagelion levels.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:54 PM   #193
o_tyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
I thought Gundam Seed Destiny was pretty darn good. Wasn't such a fan of Gundam Seed, which you'd have to watch for Destiny to make any sense. Mostly b/c the main character in GS was kinda whiny, though not nearly to Evagelion levels.
Hmm, thats interesting that you said that Jiggles. Did Destiny actually start to get good? Around what episode did it really catch your attention? I watched about 10 episodes of it and was disappointed. Maybe I quit too early? Plus, I read a few reviews on it and the few I read seemed to all say that "Destiny" was terrible compared to Seed. I guess I'll give it a second chance. On the other hand, I thought GS was superb. I absolutely loved it. I think I might have loved it so much because of all the drama it had.

Currently I am watching Kyou Kara Maou. I started watching this series way back when it came out and it was funny at first, but for some reason it didn't hold my attention very long. However, I love long series and it seems that this series is getting quite long. I'm not saying that all long series are good, (cough..naruto..cough) but most of my favorites ARE at least 50 episodes. So, as with giving GSD a second chance (thx Jiggles), I will also be giving KKM a second chance. I'm currently on 15 of KKM and yes, it is starting to grow on me. Imagine that.

Last edited by o_tyrus; 08-31-2006 at 11:10 PM.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:11 PM   #194
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

The begining, really

I liked Destiny because it focused more on a stable character - Athrun Zala - rather than the whiny "Oh why are we fighting?!?" Kira. Plus, I thought Chairman Durandal was a cool character.

There's sort of 3 "acts" to Destiny, so there's probably something to like there

Old 08-31-2006, 11:50 PM   #195
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskar
BTW anyone know if Lupin the 3rd is really like that pre dub or if it is just heavily modded/localized. Its funny as hell so i dont care, but still just curious.
I doubt the original contained the references the Americanized version does. I figure they're used in place of the original references, which simply wouldn't make sense to us here. Would the show be nearly as funny if they only referenced TV shows, movies, and celebrities from the '70s? From Japan? Unless you're big on '70s Japanese pop culture, prolly not.

Shin-Chan is doing the same thing now, and it's fucking hilarious.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:53 PM   #196
o_tyrus

Edit to my last post: I watched up to episode 8 of Gundam Seed Destiny. I'm going to go ahead and finish that series before I resume and finish Kyou Kara Maou.

One thing though, that I love about both Gundam series, Seed and Destiny, are the opening and ending songs. I love the artists and have downloaded both OST's for the two series! Great stuff.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:40 AM   #197
o_zaskar

Quote:
I doubt the original contained the references the Americanized version does. I figure they're used in place of the original references, which simply wouldn't make sense to us here. Would the show be nearly as funny if they only referenced TV shows, movies, and celebrities from the '70s? From Japan? Unless you're big on '70s Japanese pop culture, prolly not.

Shin-Chan is doing the same thing now, and it's fucking hilarious.
Cool

And am I really the only one who has seen Full Metal Panic! ? lol thats a shame
o_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2006, 01:24 AM   #198
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrus
One thing though, that I love about both Gundam series, Seed and Destiny, are the opening and ending songs. I love the artists and have downloaded both OST's for the two series! Great stuff.
Yeah, I especially liked some of the themes from Destiny - though the last one is kinda slow and "meh"

Old 09-01-2006, 06:01 AM   #199
o_milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
I just DL'd/watched the first episode of Haruhi Suzumiya today. I was all like "WTF?" but I couldn't sotp giggling. I'm assuming the rest isn't all 'home video' so I'm planning on watching it.
Nope, its not home video. Its.. different =p hope you enjoy, I did.
Quote:
To the above: Dude, I watch TV and stuff to be pleased. If the show in question isn't trying to please me, why the fuck should I bother? I can get plenty of sad/crummy endings in my own life, I don't need a TV show to do it for me.

... but I don't go seeking it out - THOSE are the people I don't get. They jump on shit just because it's anime, with no regard for whether or not it's any good. "Oh, anime! Let's hop on that bandwagon!" The smart ones will find a lousy one and ditch it, the stupid ones cling anyway. It drives me insane. Anime is not the be-all end-all of animated entertainment.
I should have clarified, "Pleasing in the same way" because personally I dont think that the monotonous, aimless path that most series take (not to mention you can watch them out of order mostly) and the suspenseful "ohshits, somebody is having a baby" 'twist' for sitcoms and soaps are very pleasing.. or interesting for that matter. Maybe I am disillusioned, but I seriously give 98% of TV two thumbs down, but then again, I give 99% of japanese TV two thumbs down. I actually dont subscribe to cable anymore, and for the exceptional shows I do watch (<3 mythbusters) I just get my friend to automatically record with her digital cable box. I personally have seen 90+ japanese animated series, though not completely watched through all due to my taste being different from the majority rating for that particular installment. Wow you say! Considering the 2005 stats on how much americans watch TV, with 99% of households owning a TV, and on average an american watches 4 hours of TV a day; thats not very much. 4 hours a day! WTF, thats roughly 10 standard anime episodes a day (considering you have digital copies.. avi/no commercials and dont watch the intro/outro at 22 minutes a piece). Yep, I spend about 75%-85% less time a day watching my movies and imports than the average american spends watching TV. So back on track; I do go out in search of what I want to watch. I guess you could look at it like eating something you cook vs eating something that is available at the cafateria. I dont think its bad, or nerdlike to go hunt down my meal instead of chompin off the conveyor belt. How do you know you are gonna like it if you dont go try it? You cant rely on reviews for everything but oddly enough, those 90+ series I checked out all were rated highly. If you still dont get it, I dont know how else to put it because you probably wont be able to understand. As far as the otakus that encompass anime as their everything~ hell yeah they are freaky. Just like any other social outcast. Though the point im going for is that when it comes to foreign things it seems people go out of their way to bend over backwards to shoot it down, not to mention everyone associated with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskar
And am I really the only one who has seen Full Metal Panic! ? lol thats a shame
Seen it (both), yep its a nice as a comedy, though the action scenes seemed a little choked? Dunno. probably in my top 20 or 15.

As far as mecha go, seems too nerdy for my liking =p I could only sit through evangelion and sokyuu no fafnir cuz they were the post apocalyptic against all odds type. Infinite ryvius wasnt terrible (rated highly), though it reminded me at some cases of those terrible 80's movies we watched in grade school. Its odd specially cuz I liked mech warrior and starsiege though who wouldnt like to have a giant all terrain tank to demolish stuff with. Hopefully battlefield 2142 will encompass the ideal of a giant walking tank properly =D
o_milk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2006, 06:11 AM   #200
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Total anti-anime freaks are just as bad as the "OMG KAWAIIIIIIIIII" idiots I've met before, so... yeah, looks like we're almost in agreement?