Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #21
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Credge, Dr. Satan and I the guys running UGC FF 5v5. Had you missed that it is now open and accepting clans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBuster
Is there a hidden big ass plan 4est? i have a good one.. ill post it later...
If you post it, how will it be hidden?

Last edited by 4est; 12-03-2007 at 07:35 PM.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #22
be_

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I am working on a video! It is a Dustbowl gameplay one, and after that, I am planning to make one specifically for FF advertisement. It is going to include many things like those listed by Dr. Satan. I have also had some skit ideas, but I won't even think of those again until I finish these 2. It is only taking longer than usual because I have an other project that must be finished dealing with music recording and it's kind of a bitch to do. I am trying really hard to have it done ASAP so that I can focus more energy into completing the videos. Fingers are crossed for the end of this week...

Besides trying to get my TFC friends to come, I have gotten 2 players from CS to download and play FF, and I will get some more during the rest of this month. One of them needs to wait for the holidays to get the box as a gift.

Add me to the unofficial team of FF PR. I don't know crap about making websites or computer graphics, but if it involves some type of writing or video making, I can help. It is not hard to say, "Happy Holidays from the FF team. Here is some news..." It does not have to be much, but if anything like that could help, why not put it up?

You can also consider me for a merc if it helps any. If you can check with me ahead of time for a match or even a practice, hit me up. I'll play any class.
be_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #23
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
we have been over this already

if this thread ends up following the same path as all the others, it will share the same fate. luckily, yall have been doing a good job being constructive and undoucheylike, gg and keep it up.

btw i REALLY like credges idea of tfc leagues closing down and opening up FF ladders. i think that would gain us a lot of clan players. now, to get the pubbers...
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #24
Vicious
Nothing left to believe in

As for the pubbers?

If you build it they will come...

Build a good league ladder and people who want to play in a league but aren't good enough in TFC and TF2 will come to FF looking to get in the early action. Baby steps is what we need. Will there be bad clans in the FF League ladder? OF COURSE. Will there be good ones? OF COURSE. The idea is to have the bad ones get better by playing the good ones. Dedicated players do alot more than play. They actually train themselves every time they pub, practice, scrim, or match. They learn the things that the better players do and mimmic them, then create their own style of play. Every good TFC player started out as a noob at it, we need more noobs.

We also need to NOT scare them away. I know, it's hard. Most of the FF community consists of veteran TFC players that are either very good or ok. We need the bad players to join and WE NEED TO SUPPORT THEM IN THEIR GROWTH. It's difficult to put up with them, but it's crucial. I'm fine with playing a horrible clan every now and then in a league ladder because eventually they're only be bad. Then they'll just suck. Then they'll be ok. Then they'll be a challenge.

The people with empty servers need to advertise to their own real life friends and make them good. Wanting clans should pick these empty servers to play in and contact the administrators. Build up a hype. Don't always pick a full server to play in, find some good free-agents and get them into a "pre-clan" that plays on an empty server regularly. Then, when people are bored, they'll click the list of servers with people and BOOM, you're populated.

That server then get's added to someone's favorites and so on and so forth and then their favorite list goes from 3 servers to 7.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #25
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffee

Why do you think this is? Is the game really that poor?
The game is wonderful, but it should have been released a year ago. A lot of the people that were following this mod just lost interest.

As far as traffic to this forum - its full of rude people.

Lets take the videos posted by hammock. They were good videos, but people here kept posting rude comments because of the music. Hammock is a gaming buddy of mine and I was really offended by how many rude comments people posted about his choice of music. Hammock and I have been playing TFC on and off for the past 2 years. There is no way for me to express my frustration and anger at the way some of the members of this site treated hammock.

Several threads I started, people attacked my stance on just about everything. I can not post anything without it turning into a big argument. Screw that, I have my own site to post on, I do not need to feel unwanted here. Its as if some of the members come here just to pick a fight. I do not need cyber drama in my life, I have enough real drama. So its been a mix of rude people and drama on this site that has caused me to stop visiting.

The game FF is wonderful, but I can not stop relating the game to some of the members here. While playing, I often ask myself if that other player is that rude member here?

The other part is heavy handed admins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
if this thread ends up following the same path as all the others, it will share the same fate.
A moderator should not use their status to influence the course of a thread. Statements like that are heavy handed. A couple of my threads were locked for just asking a question. Three post down the mod says "irrelevant" and locked the thread I started. Instead of moving the thread to the right section, or merging, the thread gets locked.

Instead of complaining about how many times a "FF is dead" thread has been created and locked - just merge them and leave a redirect. Someone creates a ff is dead thread - merge it with an existing thread. That way the user does not feel bullied or that they did something wrong. Some of the mods here act like they are amateurs.

I have not played FF in a few weeks, as I have gone back to CS:S.

Last edited by ~kev~; 12-03-2007 at 08:34 PM.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #26
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
First of all, I think we currently have a core group of fans/players that'll help FF weather this current "lull". I also think that the tone on the forums has gotten more relaxed - most of the people around here truly want the mod to succeed. That's a start.

I'm also excited about future additions/changes to the game. Can't wait to see Dr Evils bots, even though i'm not much of a "bot-player", and it'd be interesting to see whether any of the community suggestions (regarding the scout, for instance) will make into a beta test. We can all help shape this mod.

But yes, some of the criticism is warranted. PR needs to be worked on, but most importantly, the website should be kept up to date - not keeping the downloads page current is a huge mistake imo.. and yes, an occasional "hey community what's up.. we're currently working on X, here's a screenie" newspost would not hurt either. I'm sure somebody from the community would step up to the plate if asked to participate - there are enough examples of dedicated community members helping out (the .exe installer comes to mind, for example). Use the community as a resource, dev team!
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #27
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
Honesty

Well I've been more than willing to point out areas in FF's GAMEPLAY that are outstanding to perfect in implementation. It's an area, as far as I'm concerned, that needs the least attention. You can see that they spent a lot of time testing, and re-testing class abilities vs each other.....in groups or otherwise.

The one thing that hurts FF the most are bugs and glitches. Many games that I have played have been fairly hampered by these. Even in this great game, it's hard to gain much satisfaction in your own abilities, if you know you could have performed better without a few glitches. I've even lost a few close matches to glitches. Sometimes the round never goes well for me, cause of reapeated glitch encounters.

Some players need to be able to take match results seriously.....and with many bugs still being pervasive, it's hard to do so. It's still a very, very fun, furious, and balanced game experience....but it's nothing you can build a house on at the moment. Glitches have been proven to kill otherwise remarkable games.....they need to die quicker.

People like Bowling, but they don't go to alleys that have random bumps in the lanes.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #28
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Another question would be: Is the dev team active enough that should FF gain (just an example) 10,000 players over night and lets say that the majority of those players hit the website too with problems, suggestions, and ideas. Is there even man power to handle it?
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #29
=AS= Pt

Can you help me by teaching me how to make a video in FF?

One more idea. To Help noobs to learn the game. Can we have a server dedicated to teach skills to new players? I've teached 2 or 3 newbs how to conc and to bhop...or at least showed them, and the reactions were all WOOW. They didnt even know it could be done, and thought that they already conced well (they let the conc out and then run o it ?!). I have experienced that kind of "shock" with "Wish" in TFC, that showed me great concs and how to conc aim. And that moment on i knew that things were possible, and started to get better every time. I unortunatly cant play all days, but everytime i can i go there. 1 player in a serve...2...ZERO...WHAT EVER. I go there. And EVERY FREAKING TIME i am the first one in and 1 hour after we have a 7v7 or 9v9 game.

What i am saying is that after SEEING the potential of the game i get even more hooked on TFC. Unfortunatly not all he players have that luck. The server idea was to have a spot were they could go to learn. After seing Wish i searched Bobo ofense, overkill defence, demo offying... But i needed the click, that Wish gave me, and needed the videos (Fin Vs Swe, Ger Vs USA, .... r~ Vs .iL, individual tricks...) to see. The server was the fist idea. The videos, i guess are now going forward.

HOW to make record ingame of FF?

Regards
=AS= Pt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 12:12 AM   #30
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon
The one thing that hurts FF the most are bugs and glitches. Many games that I have played have been fairly hampered by these. Even in this great game, it's hard to gain much satisfaction in your own abilities, if you know you could have performed better without a few glitches. I've even lost a few close matches to glitches. Sometimes the round never goes well for me, cause of reapeated glitch encounters.

Some players need to be able to take match results seriously.....and with many bugs still being pervasive, it's hard to do so. It's still a very, very fun, furious, and balanced game experience....but it's nothing you can build a house on at the moment. Glitches have been proven to kill otherwise remarkable games.....they need to die quicker.
Couldnt agree more, in argentina and i think in brasil too, the clan style comunity was the only one, and when FF appeared we where supposed to pass all the clans and leagues to FF... little do we know, almost everybody was having bugs, crashes, and stuff like that... the pub/newest players chose TF2 for obvius reasons and the clan style players that where going to be the mayority of the FF players run away to TFC/TF2 due there was no leagues or even matchs at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est
If you post it, how will it be hidden?
I was taking about if the dev team had a real plan for this critical situation, i got one but if they already have one i wont waste my time typing it (yeah its large)
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 AM   #31
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
Another question would be: Is the dev team active enough that should FF gain (just an example) 10,000 players over night and lets say that the majority of those players hit the website too with problems, suggestions, and ideas. Is there even man power to handle it?
Testers stepped up when we released by answering questions and lurking the bug reporting board. I'd assume those of us left would do our best to give help to anyone that asks. But its not just up to us. The community as a whole can help out; we have a lot of active forum members.

ATM We have very... very few devs... but plans are, as 4est mentioned, being made to change things around a bit.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBuster
I was taking about if the dev team had a real plan for this critical situation, i got one but if they already have one i wont waste my time typing it (yeah its large)
Let's hear it anyway. You never know if it might be better.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 AM   #32
GoatMan

hmmm

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned but its one of the main reasons TF2 is so popular... The more people you have try out a game the more people you have a chance of liking that game correct? Well what gives you the first impression of a game... graphics. You see pictures of the game and this is where TF2 nailed it with their cartoony graphics. All i could hear about is how people were going to try it just because they liked how it looked.

I'm not saying go with that theme but using the same models that were in TFC? C'mon... Spice the graphics up a bit make people want to try it out it might help or i could just be wrong all together.

In the end i could careless about graphics but it also seems like i'm playing games with hardly any players because of that.
GoatMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 05:24 AM   #33
be_

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =AS= Pt
Can you help me by teaching me how to make a video in FF?
Regards
Gladly. Check the suggestions in this thread. I used the youtube suggested by Sasuke.
be_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 08:13 AM   #34
Toffee

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
As far as traffic to this forum - its full of rude people.
I would agree with that, as proven by the minority at the start of this thread. People seem to prefer to be destructive rather than constructive. FF needs constructive people right now....not people who will scare others away from the forums. I was expecting to come back to the forums this morning with a barrage of 30 flames towards me, thankfully the rest of you were willing to be a bit more mature and suggested some good ideas going forward.

Anyway I think this thread has so many brilliant ideas. Unfortunately the leadership is absent to empower these people. Ive seen very little activity from the developers on here too. How many people are actually around to do anything now?

As an outsider I get the impression that the mod is ran by a bunch of techies who dont like to do the essential non developing side of this project. I work on large scale software projects and there are dedicated communications managers. All their job is is to maintain the quantity and consistency of communication with the customer, or in this case, the gamer. This mod desperately needs one of these. Or five.

This mod needs someone like this to help because the message is clearly not getting out there to enough people. I think revamping this website would be a start. This is the primary point of contact with the gamer and you get the impression that the mod is dead when you visit it.

And for the record, I for one would be willing to help....

Old 12-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #35
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Eye
Let's hear it anyway. You never know if it might be better.
Meh its so long but i guess it may help, ill do it now.
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #36
DarkieJ

Hey.

haha i readed all the threats on this topic and im impressed!
There are people who actually stay with this mod and will do everything to make it big, Im happy to read it.
Fortress - forever is just the coolest mod i ever played and i will do anything i can to make it big too. Oke i played tfc to since 1.5 and i liked it too, But if i was a new player uh a new whenffisout i liked it too i know it for sure.
uh great work modders.

Im from holland and i know dutch people who play it i met them in the servers and i can tell that they play active and they like the mod.

But i agree alot things have to been done:
We can even do it, (Or you can do it alone!!)

You CAN map!.. Download Hammer and just fuck arround and create something! I just know for sure that alot ppl think: Hmm.. Well is nice but i want it different.. Or think i want a damn good gas-map like rock2. or have great ideas dont Wait.. just Create!, haha Just create something!! If it looks like something just go further with it or if you are stuck with it search info how to get further.. Or just post something arround here alot ppl will help you.

We can: make videos(Demos it has allready been said i know) of the game, Some info for making it. (Help on edit too)

You can start your own clans just for fun or just to be good hehe meaby a opponent?,

Or just hang arround on mirc (Im normally on quakenet dont know what other guys do arround here if they do it)

Just play! Guess we'll be seeyin' ya arround on the battlefields!

haha so no i going to eat!

DarkieJ
DarkieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #37
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkieJ
You can start your own clans just for fun or just to be good hehe meaby a opponent?,

Or just hang arround on mirc (Im normally on quakenet dont know what other guys do arround here if they do it)

YES and YES!!

Start clans and join up on UGC FF 5v5...you don't have to be a super star clan to play and trust me we will be fair in who we schedule with each other in matches, but clans are a great thing.

As far as IRC is concerned, check out This Thread. I made that to get people to idle more, so everyone jump in and do it. Also I think we need more IRC pickups, so if anyone knows of a good FF Pick Up chan please post it in that thread and I will update (or TFC pickups that would be willing to host FF pickups as well!).
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #38
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est
Credge, Dr. Satan and I the guys running UGC FF 5v5. Had you missed that it is now open and accepting clans?
I'm a member of the first clan that signed up.

But the point of my post was missed, like usual.

Every game on the planet that has expansions, sequels, etc. is not played any more.

People don't league in Quake TF anymore.

People don't league in Quake 2 TF anymore.

Why do people league in HL still? I'll give you a hint. It's got everything to do with the leagues. In fact, I'll explain in detail and use the game starcraft as an example.

When starcraft came out, leagues started. Leagues continued, and still continue, to be dominant in starcraft. When the expansion came out, it took a little bit of time for everyone to get it. The leagues understood this but promoted that you get the expansion as soon as possible and put a deadline on when the non-expansion league would be shut down.

While there are some leagues that don't play with the expansion, they have very few members and are terrible.

My question is...

Why is TFC exempt from this?
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #39
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
The problem is that this isn't an upgrade of TFC...it's just another mod. TFC is still a game that is played, unlike quake 2 from quake FF isn't the next TFC (literrally speaking) but another "TFC like" game.

If anything by your logic technically the leagues should be encouraging TF2 in place of TFC and letting FF fend for itself.

~Note: I totally agree with you and think it would be a great idea, but I also have several concerns and I feel they should be mentioned. Please don't get defensive and assume I'm attacking your stance.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #40
DarkieJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
I'm a member of the first clan that signed up.

But the point of my post was missed, like usual.

Every game on the planet that has expansions, sequels, etc. is not played any more.

People don't league in Quake TF anymore.

People don't league in Quake 2 TF anymore.

Why do people league in HL still? I'll give you a hint. It's got everything to do with the leagues. In fact, I'll explain in detail and use the game starcraft as an example.

When starcraft came out, leagues started. Leagues continued, and still continue, to be dominant in starcraft. When the expansion came out, it took a little bit of time for everyone to get it. The leagues understood this but promoted that you get the expansion as soon as possible and put a deadline on when the non-expansion league would be shut down.

While there are some leagues that don't play with the expansion, they have very few members and are terrible.

My question is...

Why is TFC exempt from this?
and do you still play FF? Its good to see some clans out there then there will be some to fight!! But just make cool demos Or map iam biz at that too help the community ppl!
DarkieJ is offline   Reply With Quote