Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 82694
WOULD YOU TWO PLEASE KEEP THIS SHIT IN THE CHAT SECTION. There is no reason to derail this thread for what ever reason. I find it very disrespectful to FF if nothing else. Keep your fucking debate where it belongs.
this. leave your quibbles out of this thread. it is a thread dedicated to some good FF publicity, the last thing we need is for the douches of the community to fuck it all up kthx.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #22
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopk
A lot of it had to do with mapping in the sense that, if you were to fire up insurgency mod, you would see cars on fire, and debris littered around as decorations, whereas I didn't see that attention to detail in FF.
Yeah, I see what you mean, though in certain situations, details like that were intentionally left out for gameplay reasons: bhopping, wallstrafing, and concing can be a real pain when you keep snagging some fancy bit of detail on the map.

Your critique is fair, though, as a new player probably wouldn't care about such gameplay issues.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #23
nopk

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
Yeah, I see what you mean, though in certain situations, details like that were intentionally left out for gameplay reasons: bhopping, wallstrafing, and concing can be a real pain when you keep snagging some fancy bit of detail on the map.

Your critique is fair, though, as a new player probably wouldn't care about such gameplay issues.

I never thought of it like that, thanks for clearing that up. It does make sense- although in the future you can make the entities noclip over certain speeds to bypass that. It's not too important though, really.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #24
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Idiotic posts deleted, warning left intact. You guys know better.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #25
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Yeah, we mostly tried to keep paths clear of obstacles unless there were some kind of vital layout features wanted. The main difference between FF and most other Source games is the lack of physics props...except for the hunted ruins (which a lot of people hate those physics props) since we were going for a more realistic feel like most other Source games. Also, a lot of TF maps benefit from that clean and empty look. Not saying all maps should be like that, though...in fact, I'd like to see more "propagated" maps and more maps utilizing lots of physics props...and more realistic maps, too.

As for FF's textures, I think FF has some of the best textures of any Source game. Granted, they aren't all phenomenal, but I think most are good-great and quite a few are amazing.

I like that review, though. Just figured I'd mention something about the maps...haha, cause I have to, right?

It's like I agree and disagree at the same time. Not disagree in that I mean you're wrong, but just...it's how I feel about TF maps in general. The diversity is what's so great. Not all maps need to be realistic like CS:S or DoD:S maps, but they can. And not all maps need to look like TF2 maps, but they can. TFC/FF maps can be whatever the mappers want them to be. That's my main complaint with TF2, how all the maps basically look the same. FF maps can go from one style to some other random style. Personally, I love that shit.

Alright, now I'm starting to go on like some old guy in a park who needs to be put down.
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #26
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
yeah, making a map look even slightly decent without screwing up the gameplay is v hard in FF, and the apparant often "lack of attention to detail" is completely intentional for gameplay reasons as others have said. obviously what makes FF v different from other games in this respect is mainly its movement, and so you can't just simply spam raised-trims/debris/props/etc all around the map to make it look "detailed" like you can with other games - well you can do whatever you want to do ofc, but you have to be fully aware of the pretty complex consequences that it will have on the gameplay and design accordingly.

i didn't mention this before because i thought it was obvious, but maybe it's not.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote