Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
Disable auto-jump?

The auto-jump when I hold jump in mid-air is nice, but it's throwing off my strafejumping in TFC and other games. Is there any way to disable it?

-Joker
Private_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 02:35 AM   #2
richard nixon

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
No presently there is no option to turn it off. Most people don't even know about it apparently so I doubt it will be removed since everyone else in the entire world has already learned to deal with it.

You can still time your jumps like ya used to.
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 05:29 AM   #3
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

well, i had to change the bhop script on my mwheelup in order for it to quasi work. I used to have bind "mwheelup" "+jump; wait; -jump; wait; +jump; wait; -jump; wait; +jump; wait; -jump; wait" but that doesn't work in FF. So i changed it to "+jump; wait; wait; wait; -jump; wait" which kind of works, but not really, because it seems like it has a higher tendency to fail for me =(
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
I've gone back to the space bar for jump because of this autojump feature. Since it doesn't seem to work at all with the mwheeldown anymore.

That said my air control has diminished a bit, but I'm slowly relearning how to jump with the spacebar.

I love the autojump feature, it's the sole reason that I can pull off some unbelievabley awesome concs and glides.

Cheers,
Hammock
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Wait, what autojump feature? You mean autojump script? Because I have no clue wtf u r talking about. If I hold jump, I just jump one time.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
SmellyCat
Darknight

When compared to TFC, that is effectively an autojump.

I had to _special script last time I went back to TFC, had no timing whatsoever and I find using mwheel horrible (I also actually use it for gun selection).

So nice to not have to worry about timing.
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2007, 06:49 PM   #7
Hammock
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
Wait, what autojump feature? You mean autojump script? Because I have no clue wtf u r talking about. If I hold jump, I just jump one time.
The auto jump feature is that if you jump and release the button but have pressed and have it held down before the time you land, you will jump again instantly as soon as you hit the ground.

Easy example;

Concing off the conc ramp on aardvark, while in the air from your first conc, if you let go of the jump button, but have it pressed and held down by the time you land at the boost ramps, you'll jump again instantly. Basically giving you a perfect bhop jump.

_special did this to the effect that all you had to do was hold down the button and you'd jump continuously. If you just held the jump button in FF, you'd jump once and that'd be it. This is what makes bhopping soo much easier in FF.

Cheers,
Hammock

Old 11-01-2007, 04:51 AM   #8
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Oh, that's called bunnyhopping. Autojumping is where you hold the jump button down and never release it, continuously jumping. Although it is easier to bhop, it is not easy to bhop effectively, still leaving a challenge, but a bigger margin of error for their learning purposes. Bhop feature in FF is a good thing on how they updated it.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Jump queueing.

Something with that many vowels has to be a good thing.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 AM   #10
JECS

i think its pretty dumb.. entirely takes away the point of bhop. and then theres that stupid double jump shit when you go off an elevated surface. stops me dead in my tracks when im trying to go up a ramp
JECS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
The point of bhopping is the timing of the jumps? I always thought it was enhanced movement, greater speed...you know, all those things.
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
It's pretty slow though, practically running speed :/
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #13
Hammock
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
Oh, that's called bunnyhopping. Autojumping is where you hold the jump button down and never release it, continuously jumping. Although it is easier to bhop, it is not easy to bhop effectively, still leaving a challenge, but a bigger margin of error for their learning purposes. Bhop feature in FF is a good thing on how they updated it.
Autojumping might have been defined like that in TFC since there was no built in feature and everyone other than using a script had to press jump at the exact moment they hit the ground to complete the bhop. There was no automated button that would make you jump guaranteed.

I define this autojumping in FF as I did above. Since there's no more requirement for me to time my jump perfectly so much as just making sure I've released the button and pressed it again before I landed. If i'm holding the button down and jump instantly when I land, I'd call that auto jumping.

Bhopping is a product of using the auto jump feature. But it can also be accomplished without it using the mwheeldown. But if you do that then you're using your own timing instead of using the nice easy game feature that will guarantee you your jump.

Cheers,
Hammock

Old 11-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #14
JECS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
The point of bhopping is the timing of the jumps? I always thought it was enhanced movement, greater speed...you know, all those things.
the point of bhop isnt timing the jumps. in no way was that implied. greater speed yes. the thing is now everyone can do it without any effort meaning that nobody is at an advantage so it may as well not exist and just make everyone move faster. especially since there is a cap to the speed. once you and a pursuer hit the top speed you are still moving at the same relative speed. with real bhop there is a chance someone will screw up and then he will either fall victim, or he can escape. i still see lots of people in cs that cant bhop to save their life. also now its much easier to aim and continue hopping. try shooting at someone while hopping in ff and then try in css and tell me ff isnt worlds easier. thats where the skill part that lots of people overlook comes in. in ff i can bhop with like 10 different mouse patterns. i can only do it 2-3 different ways in css (forward/backwards, not including sideways)

Old 11-04-2007, 02:33 AM   #15
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
No effort?

Are you trying to tell me that in TFC you went right ahead and tapped spacebar every single time you were bhopping? No scripts at all, didn't even bind your mousewheel or have your spacebar jump multiple times?

Did you never play QWTF? That has the exact same jumping mechanic.

Just because the jump timing isn't an issue anymore doesn't mean there's no effort involved.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #16
JECS

there is relatively no effort involved. i know its bad to compare to this to css but if you try to aim at something and shoot while you try to bhop you will most likely not be able to hit the person or you will lose all your speed. in ff i can wave my mouse from side to side 10 times and still not lose any speed. i have plenty of time to aim and hit my target a couple times between jumps. i can spin right around shoot someone spin back and continue on without losing any speed. not to mention it just plain feels weird. its a lot less effortless because you are basically guaranteed to get the timing you need every time. it doesnt even feel the same as in tfc..

Old 11-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #17
SmellyCat
Darknight

It's the air accelerate thing that's the problem, or lack of air acceleration... meh. Jump queueing is fun.
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2007, 01:03 AM   #18
JECS

the air acceleration doesnt do much unless you are concing. default makes strafing in the air very awkward.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #19
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

The air acceleration is quite strong, but each landing pushes you back to the (low) cap.

Also, taking into consideration that you're playing CS:S, it doesn't surprise me that you can't aim while jumping like a maniac. Y'know, recoil, cone of fire, jumping penalties, etc. You can do it in FF because the speed increase is only fairly slight, the air acceleration is better (so it's easy to get back to speed), aiming doesn't have to be as precise and isn't randomized, etc.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:02 AM   #20
JECS

you have my statements backwards. cs hopping you dont jump like a maniac. its smooth and controlled. doing it any other way will cause it to fail.

in ff i can move my mouse around 100 different ways and it doesnt affect my speed at all, plus i can still aim. (not that i cant aim while bhopping in css, i just cant take as many shots).

the air accelerate is better in which? pretty much every server on css is different, along with the acceleration. i usually prefer it on css though. its much higher which give much better air control. 5x lower in ff (20?) and yet i can still maintain what is it 130% of my max walking speed? even on strange, bumpy terrain. then with the shotguns still being super accurate its not hard to land 2 hits between hops. or fire a couple rockets with their faster speeds. or launch a couple pipes, and hit exactly where i want them to. spin around and toss a grenade.

way too easy.. should just remove it..everyone already runs faster anyways..