Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #41
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
More pics. With words.

Here's the flagroom so far. I'm going to add more lights to it to brighten it up, maybe amp up the brightness on the non-blue lights. The blue light is where the flag starts.

This WILL be getting much brighter. Things are perfectly visible in game, but apparently my brightness in game is also higher than default.

Here's the left entrance. It's bare and large. The area to the right of the picture needs something. I'm thinking of a secondary spawn there.

Here's the first spawn I've started on. Very literally, just now. It needs lighting, functioning doors (I hate doors so much), and all the other spawn stuff. Maybe I'll make this a spawn with lasers instead and just have a hallway leading out. That seems more like a balance thing, though.

And here's the start of the outside rocky bits. I'll be using less brush and more prop for this outside area I do believe, but I'm mainly using the brushes to test for smoothness.

One conc is all it takes to get from the inside of one base to the inside of another. This map will play very fast. I'm hoping the alternate rock route will be best for scouts and spies while the two ramps will be best for medics.

Thinking about it, I think an O sniper might be decent here if the soldiers are playing forward a little bit. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Credge; 08-21-2009 at 08:50 PM.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #42
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Credge if you hate doors so much why don't you do lasers? Sure it's more spammy but don't have to deal with the horrible doors

Old 08-22-2009, 02:31 AM   #43
zE
Pew pew ze beams

Gametype: Gathers
Affiliations: pew pew
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
good job looking so much better : D now grass aardv alike in yard, yellowish envoirment light and boom candy : D

Last edited by zE; 08-22-2009 at 02:33 AM.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #44
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

It will probably end up being lasers but for now I'm going to go with doors to see how it plays. I know that the map will need two spawns but I'm going to try it out first with just one spawn.

Here's the updated flag room. I put a random set of pipes in. I want your opinion on pipes for this map since a connecting piece has pipes.

It's still a tad bit too dark. Maybe 100 brightness on the lights will do it.

Same with the spawn.

That square on the left in the second picture will be doors.

Also, if pipes are a go, then I'm going to call the left entrance room the pipe room. Many pipes running everywhere. Testing the pipe waters with this set of pipes. It's not in the way of anything and that entire area needs some spicing up.

Thoughts, comments, questions?

Ronald Reagan

Old 08-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #45
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
like the pipes concept, and definitely spice it up, but it's looking great!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 08-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #46
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Wow, that was a fast comment.

I'm going to give the pipe thing a whirl. No guarantees or anything though. I do have some ideas for some spices though.

Ronald Reagan

Old 08-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #47
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Just a non-update.

I'll only be able to work on this map on weekends now that school has started. A weekend for me starts on thursday, so that's still a lot of mapping I can do.

My first guess is that this map will be play testable next week at the earliest, the week after at the latest unless something major happens.

I would like everyone who play tests it to write a good deal about it, what you would change, pictures of where you think things should be (bags, extra spawns, etc), maybe giving some ideas on textures, and all that jazz.

The more info I get the better I can make the map.

Ronald Reagan

Old 08-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #48
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

How's this for an update? I'm going to need some people to play the map over the next week or so. I want opinions, comments, questions, everything you've got. Spot a fault? Point it out and tell me. Have an idea? Post it up, maybe draw something for me.

I would like everyone who plays it, or to have a few people who play the map, to post in the thread about their opinion on how it played, if it was too fast, too slow, needs to be smoother, needs to be easier for the O, easier for the D, decently balanced, etc.

Note: The yard and back ways don't have much work on them (read: any at all) because I don't know if I want those back ways in the final product or not. This is why I need people to test it.

Mainly, if the idea for the map isn't that fun then I'll scrap it and go to another map. If it is fun then I'll continue to update it until I get a final release version on it or my interest runs out :P.

Pics and a file soon to come.

Ronald Reagan

Old 08-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #49
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

No pics as it would just be the same thing that the red base has and an unfinished and ugly yard.

Anyway, I have some good news and bad news. The good news? The map is playable and ready to be tested. The bad news? I'm going to finish up some other maps that I found and release those before working on this again.

So, what does that mean? Well, I'm tired of looking at this map, but I want to play it a bit and see how it actually pans out. As I said, I'm going to work on some other maps that I found before continuing so I'd like as much info on this map as I can get. Opinions, etc. The map link to the map will be found here and on the first post of this thread at the top.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f...4e75f6e8ebb871

Enjoy.

Ronald Reagan

Old 08-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #50
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

A list of things I'm aware of:

Ugly yard. I may completely change the idea of it.

The lazy skybox. Yes, it's just a box that covers the entire level. There are no leaks, but since the yard isn't finalized I didn't want to commit to doing a proper skybox as I'm very, very bad at it.

The single white laser. Everytime I tried to color the laser but it would cause crashes in game right as it came in to view.

The flag position is a little bit off.

Ronald Reagan

Old 08-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #51
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Map does not work, gives lightmap error.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014

Old 08-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #52
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
Map does not work, gives lightmap error.
Very odd. Does anyone else have this problem?

Ronald Reagan

Old 09-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #53
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
requested
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF: