Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #41
TongueNGroove

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I was finaly able to find a server that had some people on it that had less than 100 ping last night so I tried it, but sadly, I wasn't impressed.....

The SG model still looks dull and is hard to see... Plus it seems a bit small/low profile even when built to level 3.

The Heavy looks like a bean pole with a giant metal hard on. Isn't the heavy supposed to be a big dude?

All the characters still look very similar to eachother.

The new colors for the characters are ummmm ugly.

Why is it if I am traveling fast (say I just conced) and I throw a grenade it won't go in front of me? It's like grenades and concs have a certain speed limit or something. Plus they don't travel far enough when you throw them, even standing still.

The affected area of a conc or grenade isn't big enough. You basicaly have to hit them in the face with it for it to do anything. That is an exageration of course, but not much of one.

The sound effect for the HW's gun is wierd and not gun like at all.

Why is it when I shoot a rocket as a soldier it sounds like a demo's pipes? You know that (Thuuuump) sound. And I don't notice any real trail behind the rockets when shooting them.

The characters jump animation looks silly.

The maps look great and I realy try to get into it, but there is something about the actual gameplay that I just can't get into. It just doesn't feel right. I wish I could explain exactly what would make it perfect, but I suppose it is just a big combination of things.

Keep working on it guys... you're on to something, but you're not there yet. Wish I could be more help.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #42
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The Pyro is INCREDIBLE! On crossover, I managed to get 4 caps as one, thanks to the Flamethrower. As an offense class, the Pyro is much easier to pick up and play. I usually suck on offense, but I did a great job with the Pyro.
Hirohito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #43
mixer
Interzone technican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handym
First impressinons:
Soldier is so ridiculously overpowered now it's not even funny. The splash and the damage makes it almost impossible to counter any kind of decent soldier at mid-close range.
couldnt agree more ... he just shoots near you, and the uber-blowradius does the rest ... its exactly what i feared when i read the upcoming changes.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #44
DD`

I'm just after spending a few hours playing FF (the longest I've ever played, partly due to crashing issues) and it's the most fun I have had playing a game in quite some time.

Soldier
Seems a lot better now and from what I've seen so far playing against them I wouldn't agree with some others that it's over powered (my opinion may of course change over time). Popping people up into the air and getting air shots is awesome tho

Pyro
The flame thrower acting as a jet pack is rather fun to mess around with as well as obviously coming in handy for playing offence. I can see some really nice Pyro related skills maps being made to take advantage of this new feature.

Scout
The jump pad/man cannon is a great addition to the game to promote a bit more team play. I only really tested it on openfire, but it's great being able to get to the balcony without wasting a conc or to even get a HWG up there . Is it possible to add these jump pads to bags? I have been talking to a few people who have some nice ideas for skills maps with them being the main feature.

Medic
Having the ability to throw med kits was a great idea and makes the medic a bit more of a....er...medic. NOTE you better never ever take my concs away! I never got a chance to test this but I assume thrown med kits don't heal infections? If this isn't the case I would change that as it makes infections pretty much useless.

Demo
I never really played this class in TFC (unless I wanted to spam the shit of people playing FD defence ) as I sucked with the blue pipes. Due to the shorter timer in FF 2.0 it's a lot easier to predict when they are going to explode, making them a hell of a lot more useful without resorting to aimless spam. I can see myself playing this class much more than I ever did in TFC due to this fact.

Maps
I didn't get a chance to try all maps but what I saw openfire seems particularly impressive. It's nothing overly fancy but this is how I prefer my maps - nice, clean and simple. It's pretty much the same as the TFC version but there was no need for much change as it was already one of the best maps out there. One thing to note about my openfire was the 2 ERROR models at the left and right of the yard. I assume it's a problem with the 2.0 full installer as everyone I asked never had the same problem but had used the incremental patch opposed to the full.

Woot
The biggest change in this patch for me (and the skills community) was the fix for grenade fiction on walls. To be honest before I tried out out I was expecting some half assed fix which would only disappoint, but no Aftershok has implemented what is pretty much a prefect fix and concers can now rejoice. In the light of this fix I can see alot more conc maps being made by people including myself.

Overall I have been very impressed with 2.0, it's a world apart from earlier versions imo.

GJ to Aftershok and the rest of the dev's who made it happen.
DD` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 03:30 PM   #45
Foxtrick

I hope the developers realise with the advent of MMO's leading the way in terms of gaming, players of any genre feel they can contest any aspect of the game in terms of balance and individuality etc. In otherwords, to take things with a pinch of salt sometimes. Don't get me wrong I feel the critique here is quite well constructed and presented on the boards but sometimes I think people are going over the top(not directed at any single post).
Foxtrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #46
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Maybe make it so you can't use the jump pad if you are carrying the flag?

Like teleporters
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #47
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

2.0 is teh shixxle

The game mechanics have been discussed here and in the game. ALOT in the game.

But from the download to the install the release was a really a good experience. The splash screen and wizard, very nice. The readme file... very nice will help noobs downloading the sixxle 2.0 polish. I think I even noticed an unistall. Anyway good job. The changes will take some time to learn for us gamers and overall a welcome breath.

Kudos to those who work so hard so we can play and kill one another in glorious fashions. ;0
SkullBash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #48
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueNGroove
Why is it if I am traveling fast (say I just conced) and I throw a grenade it won't go in front of me? It's like grenades and concs have a certain speed limit or something. Plus they don't travel far enough when you throw them, even standing still.
If your speeding in the back of a car and throw a 2 pound rock, why will it not go in front of you, either? It's called inertia.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #49
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
If your speeding in the back of a car and throw a 2 pound rock, why will it not go in front of you, either? It's called inertia.
...?

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #50
MightyLotu

nobody mentioned the engi's gloves yet
MightyLotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #51
Tsukasa

Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: mimic-
I think the trails should only be visible when movement is present, the fruity RED RAINBOW, BLUEBERRY, AND MANGO TOO! grenades are... well fruity.

Mancannon needs to be less glitchy overall. The engineers build ghost needs to be there. The radius of the mancannon needs to be decreased probably 3 inches or so. etc.

I miss caltrops =(. Why can't we just have them as instant drop like in tfc?

Edit: I'm not going to go into pros v. cons of having the mancannon in the first place, i'll let the community flame that one out.
Tsukasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #52
Player
D&A Member

Fortress Forever feels rather nice now :)

Grenade trails and halos; these make the game look polished, professional, clean; probably my favourite aspect of this patch :P

Movement feels really smooth, increase to bunny hop speed is good (a bit more? go on, you know you want to :P). I wish, however, +forward had more of an effect on your direction (too much cpma / warsow?)

Other stuff is good (rpg feels good when firing (it used to feel like crap etc)), haven't tested other stuff (poopy internet (can't see new class skins etc)), other stuff doesn't sound (increased rpg radius (it felt massive prior to this patch)) / feel (jump pad (needs some tweaking)) so good

After testing on LAN, I can definitely see myself sharing time between this, tfc, cpma and warsow more equally now :P
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #53
ensiform
Time Lord, Doctor
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukasa
I miss caltrops =(. Why can't we just have them as instant drop like in tfc?
Thats why they were removed or disabled. As they were useless in the current state.
ensiform is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #54
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukasa
Mancannon needs to be less glitchy overall. The engineers build ghost needs to be there. The radius of the mancannon needs to be decreased probably 3 inches or so. etc.
Then next time your playing scout...press 5. It's in a weapon slot too ;D

Old 02-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #55
ensiform
Time Lord, Doctor
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD`
Scout
The jump pad/man cannon is a great addition to the game to promote a bit more team play. I only really tested it on openfire, but it's great being able to get to the balcony without wasting a conc or to even get a HWG up there . Is it possible to add these jump pads to bags? I have been talking to a few people who have some nice ideas for skills maps with them being the main feature.
Yes it is, check out the waterpolo lua as I know for sure the grenade packs on that have one. Most maps give one on cap too, no?
ensiform is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #56
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
I didn't play all the maps or all the classes but here is my impression...

Good.
Pyro flame thrower/ jet pack is pretty cool. You can get to some interesting places with it and even survive high jumps if you are low in health.

I like the new colors, much better then before.

The stronger melee weapons.

no overheat with the mini gun

Bad.
Scout jump pad needs to be destructible. I put 15 pipes to one and nothing happened. It also shouldn't stay around for as long as it does, maybe 15 seconds at most, but if it does stay around longer it should be destroyable. After all you can kill an SG or a dispenser so why not the pad?

Maybe even limit the number of jumps on it. After 4 jumps, it blows up.

They should also not be allowed to build them in the spawn room, someone did that and it was annoying as heck.

Snipers charged shot didn't seem to kill a whole lot. I would suggest putting a full charged shot back up in strength.

Heavy goes through ammo WAY too fast now. And on maps like dustbowl where you are attacking, you can't even get out of the whole without wasting all your ammo and there is no where to pick up more. Defenders have way too much power on that map.

For Well, I liked the door how it was with the button. Sure it slowed you down to get in, but that went for both teams.

Also I think the bug of not seeing the grating in the spawn from the water is back and the alarm kept picking me up as I passed through, it also tried to shoot me a few times.

I didn't notice any difference with the spy cloak. There was points where I just sat still and people ran right past me in both directions without anyone seeing me. Heck I even stayed in one spot and started to tranq people then recloak. Got one guy like 5 times.

Thats all I can think of at the moment
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #57
Tsukasa

Affiliations: mimic-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane
I didn't play all the maps or all the classes but here is my impression...

Good.
Pyro flame thrower/ jet pack is pretty cool. You can get to some interesting places with it and even survive high jumps if you are low in health.

I like the new colors, much better then before.

The stronger melee weapons.

no overheat with the mini gun

Bad.
Scout jump pad needs to be destructible. I put 15 pipes to one and nothing happened. It also shouldn't stay around for as long as it does, maybe 15 seconds at most, but if it does stay around longer it should be destroyable. After all you can kill an SG or a dispenser so why not the pad?

Maybe even limit the number of jumps on it. After 4 jumps, it blows up.

They should also not be allowed to build them in the spawn room, someone did that and it was annoying as heck.

Snipers charged shot didn't seem to kill a whole lot. I would suggest putting a full charged shot back up in strength.

Heavy goes through ammo WAY too fast now. And on maps like dustbowl where you are attacking, you can't even get out of the whole without wasting all your ammo and there is no where to pick up more. Defenders have way too much power on that map.

For Well, I liked the door how it was with the button. Sure it slowed you down to get in, but that went for both teams.

Also I think the bug of not seeing the grating in the spawn from the water is back and the alarm kept picking me up as I passed through, it also tried to shoot me a few times.

I didn't notice any difference with the spy cloak. There was points where I just sat still and people ran right past me in both directions without anyone seeing me. Heck I even stayed in one spot and started to tranq people then recloak. Got one guy like 5 times.

Thats all I can think of at the moment
I played with sniper for hours last night and I can kill quite a lot. Maybe you just suck?
Tsukasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #58
Lt Llama

A question that came up on our forum is if the wall friction fix is a generic fix to the walls or just to the concs. Does pipes and nades also work with the same friction now as concs?

Old 02-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #59
mixer
Interzone technican

well after playing few rounds again im rather disappointed with the offence-emphasis of this patch ... they gone so far they even reduced the cells in the resup-backs on aardvark. Technically everythings fine, but the balance is way off imho ... im gonna wait for the next patch ... cu then.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #60
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer
well after playing few rounds again im rather disappointed with the offence-emphasis of this patch ... they gone so far they even reduced the cells in the resup-backs on aardvark. Technically everythings fine, but the balance is way off imho ... im gonna wait for the next patch ... cu then.
What? The resup-packs on aardvark? Could you show me those? I think you're confused...

EDIT: And, all the defense got a boost as well. I think you're playing the wrong game.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote