Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 09-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #21
Lt Llama

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I dont care anymore either
j4 as desktop image now, and it right out is one of the best things I seen in a concmap. Machinima material.

*goes sketching on the next sequel of Indiana Jones as a concer*

p.s. try to have enough room at j1 and j2 so it doesnt turn into a spam fest, but i'm sure you know this
Lt Llama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #22
NyRoNiC

Yea...

I've been thinking about that lately I just havn't thought of an easy solution yet for #1. I guess I could give it 2 sides that end at the same place? :P

As it is now its just a double conced U turn for jump 1, so I could make it a like a W. Like ---> UU
NyRoNiC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #23
Lt Llama

No, what i mean is the place the concers stand when they start to conc. Im not talking about the actual jump. Just have enough room to avoid spam at start.
Lt Llama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #24
DD`

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyRoNiC
With LUA help from AltPluzF4 theres now a checkpoint system in place for the map. So if for some reason you die, get stuck, or go spec...or anything for that matter(except disconnect from the server) you can just respawn at the start and walk through a gate thing which will teleport you to the last jump you hit a checkpoint for.
Mind sharing this part of your lua file? Sounds like something that should be in all concmaps.
DD` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 02:44 PM   #25
NyRoNiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Llama
No, what i mean is the place the concers stand when they start to conc. Im not talking about the actual jump. Just have enough room to avoid spam at start.
Yea I knew what you meant. I did widen it a good amount(33% wider if you want to get technical) Its 768 units wide now(was 512 before, which was only good enough for a couple people) PLUS theres a 2nd side as well... so you can probably have about 6 people going at the same exact time on jump 1 without affecting each other(not counting hitting each other in the air :P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD`
Mind sharing this part of your lua file? Sounds like something that should be in all concmaps.
EDIT: http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...ad.php?t=11811

Any questions about it just ask alt+f4

Last edited by NyRoNiC; 10-03-2007 at 12:16 AM.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #26
DD`

Thanks very much.
DD` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 02:53 PM   #27
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Any questions about it just ask alt+f4 in this thread or send him a PM
I do indeed have questions.

1) Can this survive a disconnect? If your client crashes, do you have to start over?

2) Does this track the individual player? I mean, if there are four people on a server, and someone makes it to jump 3, can anyone go through the portal to jump 3, or just the person(s) who actually made it there?

As for the mapper:

If you use this checkpoint system, it should be visually represented on the HUD somehow.

Perhaps take the Control Points hud from cz2? One for each jump, and light them up on the HUD as you make it to each checkpoints.

Concmaps: The Next Generation.

Cue TNG theme.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #28
Cece

Quote:
Yea...

I've been thinking about that lately I just havn't thought of an easy solution yet for #1. I guess I could give it 2 sides that end at the same place? :P

As it is now its just a double conced U turn for jump 1, so I could make it a like a W. Like ---> UU
add a big anti-noob start room whit a jugglejump , so only skilled player can start the map at jump 1
Cece is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #29
NyRoNiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi

1) Can this survive a disconnect? If your client crashes, do you have to start over?

2) Does this track the individual player? I mean, if there are four people on a server, and someone makes it to jump 3, can anyone go through the portal to jump 3, or just the person(s) who actually made it there?

As for the mapper:

If you use this checkpoint system, it should be visually represented on the HUD somehow.

Perhaps take the Control Points hud from cz2? One for each jump, and light them up on the HUD as you make it to each checkpoints.

Cue TNG theme.
Well I know #2 and sort of know #1

1) Right now it won't survive a disconnect, although I think he said it could be changed so it would? Not sure I'll ask him.

2) Yes its individual ;D

As for the HUD thing I'll look into something like that if its not a huge pain to get it working + making it per-player based.

Anyway been up all night(8am now ) so gonna go to sleep for a little bit...heh

Old 09-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #30
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Looking great Joe, just like your past maps .

You're going to have some slide jumps, right? J2 on vi4 was among the most fun jumps evar.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 PM   #31
AltPluzF4
Newb

Send a message via ICQ to AltPluzF4 Send a message via AIM to AltPluzF4 Send a message via MSN to AltPluzF4 Send a message via Yahoo to AltPluzF4
Quote:

Well, first off, he only gave code for the "base", he didn't give the "function" code (which makes everything happen.)

And, with some small modifications, I could change it so it stores the player's STEAMID, and if they leave, set a timer. Say, 30 minutes? After that 30 minutes, if they aren't back in the server, then it will remove their saved progress. I'm currently trying to find a good way to detect if the player leaves.
Currently, it just checks onspawn of OTHER players, if that entities team is set to 0 (1 is spec, 0 doesn't exist!) So, if it is, then it removes them. I'm hoping for the lua to have some pre-built functions for:
player_connect
player_disconnect
or something similar... once I get that, I'll make a easy to integrate checkpoint system, and post it for everyone.
AltPluzF4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2007, 01:22 AM   #32
NyRoNiC

Updated jump 1 pics are up, and I added jump 6 pics too.

On jump 6 I'm having a weird water issue which I wasn't able to find any answers to anywhere I looked. Let me start by saying yes, I do have a water_lod_control and the water is well within the range to not do what its doing.

From what I've been able to tell, it happens only when I enter a certain visleaf(shown by red wireframe lines). In the first picture I'm in the highest visleaf of this section, and the engine is drawing cheap water. However once I go down below this visleaf(shown in second picture) the water turns into expensive water. On jump 5 theres a drop MUCH farther than this one, and it doesn't do this. I believe it has something to do with being too many visleafs away from the water? Anyway if anyone has any ideas let me know...right now I'm just gonna try hint brushes in different spots to try to manipulate vis into not cutting this area up as much. If that doesn't work I'll just move the water or delete it...heh

Old 10-02-2007, 01:09 AM   #33
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Bump, this should be on page one, best looking concmap to date.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:04 AM   #34
BoltR

Looks great so far, thanks for actually taking the time to make your conc map actually look like it belongs on the Source engine.
BoltR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #35
Fragile

you need to make adl maps. youre good.
Fragile is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #36
SmellyCat
Darknight

Whilst looking elite, having the jump completion progress/checkpoint on the HUD would just be like, uber cool
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #37
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyCat
Whilst looking elite, having the jump completion progress/checkpoint on the HUD would just be like, uber cool
You mean like I said a few posts up? d:

Quote:

As for the mapper:

Old 10-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #38
stino

Quote:

As for the mapper:

Cue TNG theme.
nothing can survive disconnect, your fortpoints are also gone so why bother

one thing you have to do is to clear the table of a player when a player leaves the server or someone else will have to possibility to take his progres (since you get the first Empty player ID available ) (donno if you've written some other protection, but this method isn't possible now, only afther the patch )
stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2007, 07:36 AM   #39
NyRoNiC

Jump 7 pics up.

Yea, been lazy past few days, anyway...I started working on 7 last night+today and thats what I got. As stino said in above post theres no way to survive disconnect yet, hopefully by the time my map is done the next patch will be out

If any mappers care, I found out what was causing the my water issue a few posts up. You can't have 2 expensive waters on DIFFERENT levels of height being seen in the same visleaf. Kind of an annoying limitation with water in hl2 :/

Old 10-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #40
SmellyCat
Darknight

Quote:
You mean like I said a few posts up? d:
I thought the wording of my post suggests that, yes. Maybe it didn't.
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote