Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 10-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
How00187

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Anyone Remaking concmap_exist?

Concmap_exist seems like a good remake for FF. I'd do it but I know I'd just botch it up. Any takers?
How00187 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
span

Well, my opinion - old maps should stay as a memory.

Fresh game = fresh content.
span is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Lt Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by span
Well, my opinion - old maps should stay as a memory.

Fresh game = fresh content.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
But what about 2Fort? What about Well?!

A good map is a good map, why limit it to the past?
Two maps that are simply terrible and boring.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #5
span

Those maps was original with TFC. Also, 2Fort and Well are bouth CTF maps and never really gets boring since they are classics, and to be honest i would rather have seen some new fresh CTF maps with FF release.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
stino

you just simply can't remake concmaps, ff is to good to remake old maps, just use them as ideas but don't remake them
stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 04:00 AM   #7
How00187

Quote:
Originally Posted by span
Those maps was original with TFC. Also, 2Fort and Well are bouth CTF maps and never really gets boring since they are classics, and to be honest i would rather have seen some new fresh CTF maps with FF release.
Agree with player, to a conc lover, concmap_exist is a classic. Why should CTF maps be remade only, cause you don't get bored of them?

Old 10-17-2007, 05:43 AM   #8
span

Becouse those maps are classics as i explained, you cant compare them to concmaps since i played those maps ages ago and still do. The resaon i wrote wasnt to stop you, i just wanted to say that keep those old maps as a memory and create new maps instead. Enough with those maps that has already been remade. Make the concmaps a favor and bring something new to enjoy!

Old 10-17-2007, 08:02 AM   #9
Psychodog123

Quote:
Originally Posted by stino
you just simply can't remake concmaps, ff is to good to remake old maps, just use them as ideas but don't remake them
^^
Psychodog123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #10
public_slots_free

Usually a remake entails more than just changing around the textures. Look at well for FF. That is a remake. Well is a remake because of the gameplay that is changed. For instance, you cannot throw the flag out of the window. Using the exact same jumps with a slightly different look is a port not a remake. That is what they are saying. As for the issue at hand, I am on the fence. On one hand I can see how people who liked TFC so much would like to have some of the things they like brought over. However, making a map takes a lot of time and (some) people would rather see you spend your time on new stuff than been there done that. As for me though, I would definitely play ports of old maps but I myself will be spending my time on new maps.
public_slots_free is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
Adam-g1

Very ironic topic.. haha, I think exist should stay TFC though, and maybe people should make a new map, exist themed maybe. Also that tunnel you juggle down would be nearly impossible with the wall-friction as of now, unless you are a god at timing.
Adam-g1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
CRADTZZZ also, it wouldn't be that hard Adam, you just suck :P

SOMEONE SHOULD MAKE A MAP CALLED CONCMAP_NOTEXIST and make it exist, just reverse, flipped upside down and 3000 units to the left (+ Making it fancy, clearly.)
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Different game, different physics.

I think remaking a TFC map exactly would be difficult considering the differences between the engines. A "spirutual successor" could be done, of course, but I would much rather see mappers use all of the sweet new tools at their disposal to make something truly innovative.

There are all of these cool things being done with concmaps like teleporters and checkpoints. If exist is remade, then I really hope it contains these embeliishments.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #14
Adam-g1

This is a message for anyone even thinking about re-making exist! MAKE SURE to get the original creators permission! Even if they seem like they are gone, keep looking! Cause you know, re-making maps is a horrible thing to even consider. Right?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #15
How00187

You all seem pretty set on not remaking exist for FF. I thought concmap5 was a good remake, figgured a map like exist would be as well.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #16
span

Concmap5 sure was a good remake, but (no offence) i thought that it was unnecessary to remake any map at all. Put your mind to create something new instead. Im not going to remake any of my maps, i want those to stay with TFC because thats where they belong - and as mentioned, remaking only makes the map messy and some jumps cant even be done in FF since so many factors has changed.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #17
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-g1
This is a message for anyone even thinking about re-making exist! MAKE SURE to get the original creators permission! Even if they seem like they are gone, keep looking! Cause you know, re-making maps is a horrible thing to even consider. Right?
When you don't make any attempt to contact the original creator and then complain when they take the intellectual property which is rightly theirs, yes.

Grow up adam.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #18
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
When someone has been gone for years and there's barely anyway to contact somebody, then they magically come back and claim it, you can barely tell him to grow up, if someone remade one of my maps, I'd be more than thankful.

Someone should remake concmap_exist, so the author comes back.
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #19
public_slots_free

Good for you mule. You have the right to feel that way if it ever happens to you. However, you don't have the right to tell me how I should feel about it since it isn't your map, never was and never will be.

Grow up, as silver fox puts it, means to think before you do shit like that because in the real world with adults, you DONT do that kind of thing. I respect all the man hours that gets put into a map and I would never take it and claim it as my own. It doesn't matter how long ago the map came out or even if the author can be found. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, if you do not feel the same and you do take someones map, put the original authors fucking name on it.

Last edited by public_slots_free; 10-18-2007 at 09:37 PM.
public_slots_free is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #20
Adam-g1

Iem so sowwy guyz, hoked on phonex wrelly werked fer me, I kno I shuld gro up, adult world scarrryy! I sowwy me onry 12

But in all reality, you guys take this stuff way too seriously. I admit I'm just being a jackass, but it's all out of good fun. Do you think I really give two shits about this thread or anything in it? I couldn't give a shit if someone re-made exist, as long as they got permission. Yes I know I did wrong with the whole concmap5 thing and I learned a lesson. Isn't that whole thing OVER though? Or do you guys hold on to pointless shit like that just because you have nothing else to? Silver_fox, I'm pretty sure I'm grown up..it just looks like you take things way too seriously, like half the people online. I'm just having a little fun. I still respect you both,but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD just get a sense of humor!

Last edited by Adam-g1; 10-18-2007 at 10:20 PM.