Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 10-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
stino

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
[RELEASE]: counc_course!

EDIT: final version released: http://www.sgware.be/?p=downloads&f=view&id=43

i'm making a concmap, and one of the things that annoy me is that there is no theme in a concmap, just a bit of random rock textures.

so that's why i made a conc map that's kind of based on black mesa, or at least makes you think about it when you play it

every time you complete a jump, you reach a checkpoint wich gives you points and most important saves your spawn point! if you die you respawn right in front of your last jump.

The jumps may be a bit easy becouse i tried to make them possible for concers and Rocket jumpers

but some jumps aren't possible as rocket jumpers, so they have to take an alternative route, nothing to worry about scoring, if a concer takes that route, he will just get a penalty for taking that route

i'll post some fullbright screenshots as soon as possible so you cant see what i mean with eye candy

Last edited by stino; 03-05-2008 at 03:46 PM.
stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 01:10 AM   #2
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Hate to burst your bubble since I love your maps and all, but someone has a 6 Jump headstart on the first eye candy concmap. d:

conc_nyro

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #3
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

I have an idea for the end of the map. You should go into Xen and have to conc yourself at the final boss of HL1 (who won't move around) and hit it's >.>...sack...with your crowbar. And then you win

Old 10-02-2007, 02:43 AM   #4
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Oh, I can't wait to see that!
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Hate to burst your bubble since I love your maps and all, but someone has a 6 Jump headstart on the first eye candy concmap. d:

conc_nyro
lol didn't found that map around i've updated the topic

Old 10-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
stino

map on line at sgware server and it's disconnect safe, i tried it
sgware.be:29001

Old 10-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Adam-g1

Sorry to dissappoint you guys, my friend Penny is working on a concmap that looks better than Nyro's AND was being made before both Nyronic or you even started. I keep trying to get him to post pictures, but he just wants to wait for release and surprise everyone. So if you read this Penny, post some damn pictures! Haha
Adam-g1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
No pics no clicks!

I will check it out nonetheless, maybe I will get some shots up if you do not.. d:

Old 10-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
Adam-g1

Sorry to dissappoint you guys, my friend Penny is working on a concmap that looks better than Nyro's AND was being made before he even started. I keep trying to get him to post pictures, but he just wants to wait for release and surprise everyone. So if you read this Penny, post some damn pictures! Haha
Adam-g1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #10
stino

and adam, no forum post about that so i couldn't know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
No pics no clicks!

I will check it out nonetheless, maybe I will get some shots up if you do not.. d:
no clicks? where do you want to click on?, and afther al you joined the server. i took some shots of the map, going to upload it friday or saturday

well hell, i'm doign it now:

every screen is a jump:

Last edited by stino; 10-03-2007 at 08:22 PM.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #11
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Adam, is it a hard map, or is it a map designed for all? (easy, medium and hard)
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #12
stino

my map is easy, then medium then hard, but hard isn't finished yet

Old 10-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #13
SmellyCat
Darknight

I think concheadz has all of you beaten, by a good year or so, so hush now!

Whatever happened to that map / Headz?

I actually know next to nothing about concmaps to I'll simply add "ooh, I await to see it with lights, stino".
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #14
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

I played on this. I think I got to jump like... 12? Then the server cut out. I tried to load up the map on a listen server but I think it is missing the .lua because the checkpoints and stuff are not working.

First off, this map is brilliantly done. It actually scales in difficulty fairly well. I brought a friend with me into the server (MoreDead) who is a complete concing newb, and he managed to work his way up to jump like... 10 or 11, I forget. It took him 40 minutes or so to do it, but I think that is what makes a conc map good. The difficulty scales beauitifully.

As for the looks, well... the map looks like a Source concmap. TFC concmaps were pretty bare bones - I suppose this is somewhat the same when it comes to Source. It feels like it is lacking details in a lot of areas, although I suspect that those are the last things that stino will put in.

The checkpoint system is excellent, great job on coding it. No matter where you fall off, you can return to the last checkpoint you reached.

Now, for the point by point notes:

1) Have SOMETHING indicating the checkpoints on the ground. Perhaps a red line or something so you know when you cross it you have hit the checkpoint?

2) When the map is over, people randomly spawn at other jumps. I think it would be nicer if there was a central portal room. It could have 20 portals (one to each jump start). After you hit the last checkpoint and complete the map, the portal room becomes your checkpoint. If you mess up a jump anywhere, you return to the portal room. This lets you go to any jump you want to on the fly.

3) This map could use some sounds. Perhaps have the vox say which checkpoint you have reached? The words "check" and "point" are in the vox so this could be done.

4) Put numbers on the jumps, please, so we know which jump we are on.

5) Locations! Please do not forget the location codes. May as well implement them if they are there.

I have noticed some issues with landing in certain places you should not be able to and one or two movement/directional problems. I shall post pictures and explanations below.

Quote:

This lip makes this jump a bit too easy since you can just land on top of it and then walk forward onto the platform. If you intended it that way it is fine; it is one of the earliest jumps and should be easy.
Quote:

You can recognize the jump from the building below - I should not be able to get up here but I managed it with a triple conc.
Quote:

An arrow here (on both sides of the wall) would be nice to indicate that you have to go up and OVER the wall, not just land on top of it.
Quote:

Once again, I managed to reach somewhere I should not be able to. Recognize the jump by the building below.
Quote:

The last of those holes in the ceiling of the cave, and three for three I can get up here.
Quote:

On a closeup of the building you can see that it is missing a roof. It is important that it has one since many people will very likely get high above the building (even if you clip off the hole in the ceiling).
Quote:

The curve jump - I know I told you about this platform in-game, but I wanted to reiterate it here. At first I thought it was a bit cheap that you could stick a landing on the ground below the platform (highlighted with red boxes) - the target should be the metal platform. After a few jumps I figured it was fine. Problem is it is a bit of a pain to get onto the metal platform and go onwards in the map because the ground below the platform is so low. If you are not keen on removing it, would you please place a ladder on each side of the platform or raise the ground up so it is easier to get up there? I have seen a couple people get stuck and accidentally jump off during the test session today.
Quote:

This is the jump where you go over the wall and air control to land on a platform below (without hitting the floor). I think an arrow here would be nice so people know "don't go straight down".
That is about it for the map so far. It looks positively ace and plays beautifully. Great work stino.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:18 AM   #15
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

This map is great. I got through what was finished atm, and it's hella fun.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:58 AM   #16
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyCat
I think concheadz has all of you beaten, by a good year or so, so hush now!

Whatever happened to that map / Headz?
He stopped working on it
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #17
Nest

Excellent so far - the difficulty curve is perfect. Other mappers should take a leaf out of your book in this respect.

I think those areas you shouldn't be able to get to but can add character and longevity to maps.
Nest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2007, 06:28 PM   #18
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nest
I think those areas you shouldn't be able to get to but can add character and longevity to maps.
Well yeah but if you can get up there then they should not look like crap when you go up there (clipping through the map and whatnot).

Maybe there should be a huge ass forest up there with unicorns and gazelles! No wait... gazelle unicorns... GAZELLICORNS!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:50 PM   #19
Lt Llama

Cant wait to see it out stino
Lt Llama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #20
stino

well, i have to design the hard jumps, and i need someone to test them, since i'm only a moderate concer.

and then i need to tweak a few things, i was thinking of connecting the upper jumps with eachother. like walking on top of the facility, now you can only take a peak just above the ground and hit the skybox but i might connect those parts and make something to prevent you from jumping from one to another but not prevent you from seeing the others

Quote:
1) Have SOMETHING indicating the checkpoints on the ground. Perhaps a red line or something so you know when you cross it you have hit the checkpoint?

2) When the map is over, people randomly spawn at other jumps. I think it would be nicer if there was a central portal room. It could have 20 portals (one to each jump start). After you hit the last checkpoint and complete the map, the portal room becomes your checkpoint. If you mess up a jump anywhere, you return to the portal room. This lets you go to any jump you want to on the fly.

3) This map could use some sounds. Perhaps have the vox say which checkpoint you have reached? The words "check" and "point" are in the vox so this could be done.

4) Put numbers on the jumps, please, so we know which jump we are on.

5) Locations! Please do not forget the location codes. May as well implement them if they are there.
1: yup, and also a number of the jump
2: this is, as i told you, a difference between lua and bsp, i wrote the script for 20 jumps and i only made 14 yet, so it expects a next valid spawn point an it doesnt find one so ff spawns you wherever he wants.
3: how do you use the vox in lua? like saying "check point 12 reached"
4: checkpoints tell you already since i updated the lua on the server but yeah numbers where inteded but weren't vital for first playtests

ok, added a temp fix
go play the map now

Last edited by stino; 10-09-2007 at 07:34 PM.