Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout, Engineer and Sniper
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 17 Times
Your history of games.

When thinking of games, long time gamers have often played hundreds over the years from all genres of gaming. Out of pure interest and just something to chat about, here is a few questions for you to answer about your gaming history. (off the top of my head)

1] Are there any specific games that really got you interested in the FPS genre, that provided a unique gaming experience that you will never forget? And why?

2] The same question as above but regarding all other genres of gaming, RPG, Racing, Strategy etc...

3] What game has kept you interested for the longest, that made you clock up hundreds/thousands of hours of play time, and do you still play this game?

4] In your opinion, what would you consider to be the biggest breakthrough game in history?, that revolutionized gaming for you.

5] If you had to pick your top 5 best games of all time, what would you choose? (Can be in a specific order or no specific order, up to you)

1 -
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -

6] What was your first ever Console?

7] Have games ever conflicted with your social life, and won?

8] Have you ever been addicted to a game, where you physically crave getting home so you can play this game?

9] What mainstream game (if any) do you regret ever playing because it was just so.. bad?

10] Do you own a controller that you use with your PC, and what genre of games do you use it for?
FreaK367 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout, Engineer and Sniper
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 17 Times
Your answers do not need to be in as much detail as mine.

1] Soldier of Fortune II was the first game to really stand out to me, the FPS game that introduced me to so many of the common elements you see in all of todays shooters, using the Quake III engine released in 2002, it is a game I can install and play today and still find servers up and running and really enjoy the gameplay. Was very moddable too.

Quake III of course needed a mention, such a fast paced shooter it kept me involved in the gameplay and on the edge of my seat, with the well designed maps and pure enjoyability of playing. Especially the Railgun fights.

Other mentions:
Tribes 1/2/Vengeance,
Unreal Tournament
Unreal Tournament 2004

2] Mass Effect 1/2 are the best third person shooters I have ever played, the story is fantastic, and the gameplay is solid.

C&C: Red Alert 2 was one of the first games to really get me interested in Strategy games, to today, I can still play all the way through the campaign and enjoy every moment of it, expecially with the live action scenes to add depth to the story and introduce real life characters to your gameplay.

Fallout 1/2/Tactics, unlike a lot of newer gamers I played the Fallout series from the very start, which was pure turn based strategy at its best, with the perk system, depth and everything that makes Fallout such a great series of games.

Need For Speed: Underground was the first game to really get me interested in a racing game, being able to customize your vehicles in such depth was new to me, something I had only really experienced back when I played Gran Turismo 1 on the PS1.

Fifa 97 was the first sports game to really keep me entertained for a long time, played on the PS1 the graphics were impressive back then and the gameplay was great.

Pokemon was the first RPG game I ever played, which opened me up to this amazing world that is pokemon, with such depth and addicting gameplay, I played red, blue, yellow and silver, and stopped playing after they increased on the original 151 pokemon.

3] Silkroad Online is an MMORPG that was so complex and enjoyable, that it kept me interested for 2000+ hours of gameplay, which sounds like a stupid amount of time now. But it was such a great game, I hung up my boots on Silkroad online in around 2009.

In regard to browser based games, I have played AstroEmpires for 1,403 Days, being on every single day often for 3+ hours a day, sometimes 7+ a day.

Other mentions:
Counter Strike: Source - 500+ hours
Day of Defeat: Source - 400+ hours
Fortress Forever - No idea...

4] Hmmm, I.. would have to say, Mass Effect.. such a fantastic game that made me appreciate how important a solid storyline and campaign is to a game.

5] This is WAYY too hard, just going to put down my top 5 that come to my head as fantastic games, in no specific order.

1 - Mass Effect
2 - Quake III
3 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
4 - Fallout 3
5 - Godfather II

6] Atari Jaguar
Got it when I was very young, considering I was born in 1992 and it was released in 1994 in the EU. Favorite games were Rayman, Alien vs Predator, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and others.

7] Ha, yes, in the past I have put off social events in order to play games, which is very sad. Counter Strike: Source was famous for doing that to me.

8] Back in school I would crave to play Counter Strike: Source when in lessons, and when school finished, I would actually run home, just to play it... this lasted for months until I decided to have more of a social life with friends. It was.. sad.

9] Resident Evil 5, as soon as I turned it on, and realised you had to be stood still to shoot... it was instantly ruined, and I still gave it a go, it was abysmal.

10] I own a Microsoft 360 controller for Windows. Which I use to play Football games, such as Fifa 11, and racing games, such as DiRT2.
FreaK367 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
JackBauer

Posts Rated Helpful 20 Times
Short version, since I don't have much time at the moment...

1] Sin was my first ever FPS game. Got it for like 5 bucks. 2nd was Half Life which started my fascination for FPS games. Best game ever.

2] started with jump n run games: Lion King. Used to have an old 386 machine with disks only. Lion King was the only game I could get, everything else was already out on CD ROM.
Also played Fifa International Soccer a lot. First adventure: indiana jones 3, then monkey island 1 and 2, indy 4, zak, maniac manson etc. Would say I was really into adventures back then.

3] Half Life and later Team Fortress Classic. 3000+h easily.
NHL 2001 or 2002.. 1000h as well.
TOCA 2 - split screen with a mate... happy times.
GTA SA

4] Half Life again... dunno why. May be because it was so fantastic when it came out. you got to do different stuff all the time, some nice script scenes as well. surprises around every corner. also followed me through high school, was a cool time back then anyway.

5] If you had to pick your top 5 best games of all time, what would you choose? (Can be in a specific order or no specific order, up to you)

1 - Half Life
2 - Max Payne
3 - GTA San Andreas
4 - NHL 2002
5 - CoD MW

6] What was your first ever Console? Never had a console.

7] Hmmm... TFC ate up a lot of time. Not spare time though, more like time which was supposed to be reserved for studying. I still went out and had fun with the lads, I just refused to study. Still passed college.

8] TFC again. What a surprise. Always discussed tactics with a couple of school mates, so we could go home later and try them out.

9] Played quite a few shit games over the years. Can't really remember a stand out.

10] Yes, I own a logitech dual action pad. I usually use it for sports and racing games.

Last edited by JackBauer; 06-09-2011 at 11:23 AM.
JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
1. I have always preferred FPS games over other games, but the game that made me aware of my love for first-person shooters was the original Counter-Strike. I used to play this game religiously after a friend gave me a copy. I was a heavy fan of the competitive scene too. I practiced for hours hoping to become a professional gamer just like the guys in the movies I used to torrent. Hell, I remember staying up all night waiting for coL armageddon's release so I could torrent it at 12kb/s.

2. The only game that comes to mind is Starcraft. It was what got me into real-time strategy gaming. I'm not a big fan of the other genres to say.

3. I have over a thousand hours in Team Fortress 2. I don't think I have that many hours in any other game. If I include the other Team Fortress games, the entire series as a whole dominates.

4. Quake set the standard for first-person shooter games. At-least, that's how it seems from my perspective. It seems like that game was the mother of competitive gaming and really innovated first-person shooters into what they are today. I still play the original Quake to this day. Shit's boss.

5. This is difficult to say, but I would pick these games as having stuck out for me: The Pokemon games (Red, Blue, etc), Team Fortress Series, System Shock 2, Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, and the Quake Series.

6. I got a SNES for my fourth birthday in '94.

7. All the time

8. Yes

9. RuneScape; though, I fault it for what makes RPG games boring in general: You level up, slay some monsters, buy some items, repeat. You do this over and over. It just isn't satisfying to me. I like interacting with other players, and by that I mean slaying them, not having them join my party so we can whack some slimes with our goddamn maces.

10. Yes, I have a shitty Saitek controller sitting around here from when I used to play King of Fighters '98 with a friend.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
1. I Read about this awesome game called Team Fortress Classic when I was about 15, bought a second-hand copy of Half-Life, and went on from there.

2. Sim City 2000, Super Mario Brothers 3, Alpha Centauri, Manic Mansion, Half-Life, TES III: Morrowind.

3. I tend to binge on a game for a while and then quit, but the games I've spent most time on are Team Fortress and the GTA series.

4. Half-Life, probably. Just the excellent design, the mystique behind the story, and the fan/mod community that sprang up around it.

5. Shadow of the Colossus, GTA: San Andreas, Grim Fandango, Half-Life 2, and a slot reserved for some game I'm probably forgetting.

6. My dad's Intellivision. First one I bought was an NES, from saving up birthday/Christmas money.

7. I was never really interested in a social life, so no.

8. Not as bad as addiction, but some games do have a way of taking over my brain when I first start them.

9. If it's bad, I probably won't play it through. I'll call out Resident Evil 4 as a game I finished, but would never play again because of the horrible controls.

10. Mouse and keyboard is good enough for me.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
1] Are there any specific games that really got you interested in the FPS genre, that provided a unique gaming experience that you will never forget? And why?

Team Fortress Classic was the first FPS I was really into. I couldn't play CS because for whatever reason, I only got 10-15fps back then. It wasn't until after I bought a new computer that I started playing CS regularly. I'll always love playing TFC and owning as Engi and Solly. First map I played on TFC was Casbag, on the first day it was released. Favorite map: Badlands Favorite weapon: Super Shotgun

2] The same question as above but regarding all other genres of gaming, RPG, Racing, Strategy etc...

Strictly speaking about PC gaming, I will say these games had the biggest impact on me growing up: Age of Empires II, Diablo 2, Rollercoaster Tycoon and Half-Life(for single player FPS).

3] What game has kept you interested for the longest, that made you clock up hundreds/thousands of hours of play time, and do you still play this game?

TFC, Runescape, Age of Empires II. I still occasionally load up TFC, I play Runescape regularly still and AoE I had bought from MS for like a buck, but it never worked on my previous Windows install.

4] In your opinion, what would you consider to be the biggest breakthrough game in history?, that revolutionized gaming for you.

Team Fortress Classic. It's a completely unique style of gameplay that you don't even see today, other than in mods like Fortress Forever. TF2 is a bastardized version of TFC, and chances are I'll likely always feel that way about it. I played TFC actively for 6-7 years.

Socially, I made more friends(tons more) by playing Counter Strike than I did while playing TFC. So in that respect, CS has entertained me by gameplay AND the ease of communicating with online friends.

1 - Team Fortress Classic
2 - Fortress Forever
3 - Counter Strike
4 - Portal
5 - Half Life

Guess you could call me a Valve fanboy haha.

Nintendo Entertainment System. I still own Final Fantasy 1, The Legend of Zelda, and Archon(the best battle chess game ever)

Yes, unfortunately. I'm a big dude and I'm 100% sure gaming has played a role in that fact. I used to not get nearly enough exercise due to gaming, and with using a computer at work as well, there wasn't much time for exercise. My priorities were all fucked up. Gaming at one point in my life, took precedence over a lot in my life and that caused some major health problems for me. I lost a job due to my habits. It wasn't a job I liked by any means, but lack of sleep playing a fucking RPG(Runescape...), just to get more pixels had to stop. Since then, I've learned a lot about self control and I still game almost every day. But it's not for nearly as long and it's paying me in dividends. I remember pulling numerous all-nighters while playing TFC.

8] Have you ever been addicted to a game, where you physically crave getting home so you can play this game?

Yes. Runescape or any other game that requires leveling your character, getting better stats and equipment and unlocking new parts of the game took a big toll on me at one point. I think it was a mix of me not giving a fuck about my life at the time, I was depressed, and gaming helped as a temporary fix for that depression.

9] What mainstream game (if any) do you regret ever playing because it was just so.. bad?

Can't really think of much. Usually I have a pretty good eye when it comes to finding a fun game to play.

10] Do you own a controller that you use with your PC, and what genre of games do you use it for?

No I do not, but if I did, it'd be an SNES controller.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #7
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Would Goldeneye on the N64 count? I honestly can't remember if that was the first fps I ever played, but it was definitely one that I really enjoyed.

Quote:
I guess the first "genre" I ever got into, was arcade ports. Granted, back then, the ports weren't great, but it's what we had. I never got into "turn based" strategy games(except Chess), but wen RTS came around, Command and Conquer was the absolute best. I have it on the PC, the N64, and even re-bought it in the First Decade package, so I could play it on my more modern PC.

Quote:
There's a select few that I keep going back to: TFC(PC), Peggle(PC), Command and Conquer(PC/N64), Rogue Squadron(N64), Half Life(PC), Food Fight(Atari7800), Circus Atari(Atari2600), a few on the Commodore 64, and some on the Amiga.

Quote:
Half Life. While I enjoy games with scoring, HL added a nicely immersive story, with top notch(then) graphics, and was a lot of fun.

Quote:
1 - Team Fortress Classic
2 - Archon
3 - Gauntlet II
4 - Pac-Man
5 - Lemmings

Quote:
Depends on what you mean by "Console". The first home "video game system" I ever had, was the Telstar Ranger. It came with 2 paddles, a light gun, and 6 games built in: Tennis(Pong), Doubles Tennis(Pong with 2 paddles per side), Target Shooting, Skeet Shooting(I can't remember the other two, and don't really feel like looking for it at the moment).

My first "cartidge based" console was the Atari 2600, which I still have and it still works. I've amassed over 200 carts for it, and still play many of them.

Quote:
Sadly, yes.

Quote:
Yep. More of them than I could list.

Quote:
A few. Pac-Man on the Atari 2600, Defender on the same console, and a few games I've bought on Steam.

Quote:
I recently bought http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Classic-USB-Joystick-Blue/dp/B003WGLT68/ref=pd_cp_e_0 to use with some of the classic arcade ports that I've gotten my hands on. I absolutely love the thing!

On another note:
I have the following systems up and running in my home:

Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64.

Each system has a bunch of favorite games of mine, which is why I keep them functional.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
BOSTWIX

Affiliations: DBD, Orbital, e0, .end, DP, COBs
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to BOSTWIX
1.) Sonic 2
2.) Fortress Forever and SC2

The End.
BOSTWIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 03:00 AM   #9
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
GoldenEye 007 on the N64, my first FPS that I can remember playing. Medal of Honor on the PS1 was the next FPS I ever played, that I can remember. In 2000, I bought Half-Life, my first PC fps game ever, loved everything about it, and thought it was far better than GoldenEye and Medal of Honor. Within 2 years time, I had gotten into Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, Tribes 2, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 Arena, and Battlefield 1942; essentially solidifying the FPS genre as one of my favorites.

Mind you, I was only 9 at the time of GoldenEye in '97, and by 2002 with Battlefield 1942, I was only 14. It's been a solid 14 years of FPS gaming for me ever since.

Quote:
RPG - Pokemon Blue/Red, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy IX, Lunar 2
Racing - Mario Kart 64, CTR: Crash Team Racing, SF Rush, SF Rush 2049, Gran Turismo
Strategy - Warcraft II, StarCraft
Fighting - Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat II
"Action" - Metal Gear Solid
Adventure - Spyro the Dragon, Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
As unfortunate as it is for me to say, World of Warcraft holds this title with over 3500 hours. Followed by that would be Team Fortress Classic and Counter-Strike at about 1000-2000 or more hours each, as I used to play them religiously before WoW took over.

Quote:
As cliche as it sounds, Half-Life was a game that just changed my life in terms of my gaming career. From that point on, I was primarily a PC gamer.

Quote:
No particular order,
- World of Warcraft
- Unreal Tournament 2004
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Counter-Strike
- Team Fortress Classic

Quote:
I played my mom's NES (2nd gen, top loading NES), but it wasn't mine. My first console, that was mine, was my Sega Genesis. I played the FUCK out of that every day when I got home from school.

Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
Yep.

Quote:
Can't really think of any. I've grown picky with games I play these days. Shout out to Counter-Strike Condition Zero though.

Quote:
No, but I was considering getting a Xbox 360 controller for use with the XBMC media center.

Last edited by Anshinritsumai; 06-10-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Anshinritsumai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 12:44 AM   #10
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc

Doom2: first game to truly scare the crap out of me as well as LAN play (IPX IIRC)
DukeNukem3D: Pipebombs!

RTS: Warcraft I guess but it was always Command and Conquer that's closest to my heart.

FPS: BF2 hands down. I play it in LAN play with my son and stepson

I don

1 - Fallout 2
2 - BF2
3 - UT2004
4 - Half Life 2
5 - Crysis

Atari 2600

Hard to say...my prior marriage was pretty much doomed anyway...

TFC and CS was back in my clan days...

Daikatana...

I used to use a Wingman Force Feedback for flying...BF2 and other games.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote