Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 01-27-2005, 02:57 AM   #1
o_sobe green

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
My idea: 4fort

First of all I'm almost 100% the map name is taken. Replace it as needed.

Basic Layout: The exact same as 2fort only instead of just two bases, we'd have all four. The red and blue would face each other, and the green and yellow would also face each other. This would create a cross at the bridge. On the bridge you'd have three flags but enough platforms for four flags. Each base's "symbol" can light up. On some kind of timer each base would have their symbol light up, for that amount of time that base is the ONLY base you can cap at. Of course when the symbol is lit that team can't access their flag. After so long it would switch to another base leaving them to defend while the other three teams tried to cap on them.

Random Ideas:

1. To prevent confusion there would be a timer either announced out loud or on the wall letting you know how long each base had before it'd be time to go to another base.

2. Instead of the above, there would be a symbol in each room, if its lit, your on the right track, if its not, you should be doing something else.

3. This could be used with either of the above or on its own. Each room has lasers for the entry and exit to it (similiar to rock2). If your still in another teams base when the timer runs out the lasers will activate to hurt anyone except the owners of the base. You will be trapped.

Suggestions:

1. Limit the amount of grenades you spawn with.

2. Prevent SGs from being built outside the bases (maybe restrict only to the defending base?)

I have always wanted to make this map, I've tried mapping and I feel I'm not up to par on skill in order to pull it off how I want it. Here is my idea, enjoy it.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
o_shaolin

That sounds like good fun - I'm not sure it could be done in clan play or something and it may be a bit laggy, but I like the idea
o_shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
o_michael

I like that idea it would be good fun to play in a public , but in clan play its hard enough to get into one fort :P

But for public play woud be great
o_michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
o_binarylife

Do it like dustbowl's timer.

When your team is on defense there's a timer in respawn that lets you know how long you have left. Time runs out you get an anouncement over the server saying "Red switches to offense, Blue Team is now on defense" or something of the sort.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the three flags in the middle. They aren't being carried into the defens's base are they? They would have to pull D's flag out of their base in into one of the respective's O's base. I'm just trying to be certain

This would create the fun dynamic of 3 teams competing over one flag for the cap. Not to mention a fourth team's attempt at returning said flag.

I have no mapping skill whatsoever...but this sounds pretty fun...even if I'm wrong about the interpritation.
o_binarylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
o_saintgreg

Could be fun but there are a few problems

- servers would need 2 times the capacity, which costs more

- the team on defense would get completely owned since they would be outnumbered 3:1.

- Once a team got the flag and got it out oof the base, there would just be rocket spamming, nade spamming, and any other kind of spamming you can think of in the middle area since it is basically now a free for all for the flag. Even if you limited the amount of nades there would still be massive spammage due to the high number of players.
o_saintgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Somehow reminds me of Murderball...

Not a bad thing
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2005, 05:58 PM   #7
o_photeknix

there was a 4fort in the original TF, it was 2fort varient but with 4forts with crossbridge.
o_photeknix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2005, 07:39 PM   #8
o_silver

yea there is a 4fort for tfc bt it never hit it off
o_silver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2005, 08:11 PM   #9
o_catzeyes93

I personally have been asking all over the web for someone to make a 2fort MIRROR map. Basically, it is exactly the same as what our classic 2fort is, except it is reversed. You walk in the door and you go left to the ramp room instead of right.. and you go right to the basement waterway instead of left.

Everyone I suggested it to likes the idea, but I dont know any good mappers that know how to do this.
o_catzeyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2005, 08:20 PM   #10
o_silver

it shouldn't be too hard to do, i dun think
o_silver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2005, 08:34 PM   #11
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

It's easily done, just pointless :P
Quite a few maps are mirrored rather than rotated (especially 2night3 for Quake3, Redgiant for TFC etc.) and I find it more annoying than cool if I'm honest.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:46 PM   #12
o_saintgreg

Agreed its much easier to play if its a consistent layout rather than having to remember what team your on and what base youre attacking. Naturally its a bit more difficult than just cloning and rotating a large section of your map, but it isn't significantly difficult.
o_saintgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2005, 12:19 AM   #13
o_mikequist

its not that hard to mirror a map. you highlight the map, right click, flip over horizontal, and its all peachy.
o_mikequist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2005, 12:19 AM   #14
o_mikequist

wait. things would be upsidedown. nvm lol.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:22 AM   #15
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
Somehow reminds me of Murderball...

Not a bad thing
Yes that's it, make Muderball Type. Ball in Center, 4 bases, same concept of 2fort bases (for hiding in the basement and stuff), and call it 4FortBall, FortBall or something simmilar.
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2005, 08:27 AM   #16
o_sobe green

Yea a few things would definately have to be tweaked to make it work right. A 32 player pub could run this. There were quite a few 32 man pubs in TFC, and they mostly ran 2fort/dustbowl/well 24/7 or in a rotation. Back in the day I even remember concmap servers with 32 slots. Either way it was meant to maybe inspire someone if anything. The idea of three teams bombarding one base would be some serious fun D practice IMO. If anyone wants to take a shot at it go ahead. I'll definately not be making this map if anything I might try a concmap once I can see how the concs work.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2005, 12:59 PM   #17
o_rebo

I like this idea.
o_rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2005, 06:31 PM   #18
o_mikequist

hmm, you know that its going to end up however with one attacking team ignoring map change and fighting other attacking team. and the one team would get schooled. the o of one team would kill the o of the other for the flag and youd end up with all the o's fighting for it in the yard and the d sitting and waiting like wtf mate?

Old 01-30-2005, 08:18 PM   #19
o_rebo

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=U&sta...ld.html&e=7249
o_rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #20
o_binarylife

haha I love that video.

If you're worried about too many teams ganging up on one, you could arrange it so that every base has it's own flag, in it's own flag room that can be capped anytime by anyone.

It does increase confusion since every offensive player has 3 flags to choose from, but it increases standards in defense. People are going to choose the weakest base to attack, so that base will have to pick things up. It wont be over kill since there will still be things spread out.

(the possibilty of 3 flag caps in a row by one team does sound annoying though.)
o_binarylife is offline   Reply With Quote