Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 02-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
TF2 and its stupid updates

Never in my life have I ever seen a game with so many updates as TF2. Was valve even working on this game for the last 9 years? With the number of updates it gets, I really doubt it.

Some people might say - "well, tf2 is a big game." So was HL1, HL2, counter strike, quake and quakeworld - but those never got the updates like tf2 is getting.

The more updates that are pushed out the door, the more I think that TF2 was pushed out just for the 2007 holiday season.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Most of the updates were additions to the game.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Etzell
D&A Member

You clearly don't pay attention to what the updates actually do, do you?
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
A Boojum Snark

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Isn't this the point of steam? To allow for many, many updates? It's the first NEW multiplayer game valve has done on steam, so I suspect we are seeing what's been intended all along finally occurring.
A Boojum Snark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
Suite307

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~
Never in my life have I ever seen a game with so many updates as TF2. Was valve even working on this game for the last 9 years? With the number of updates it gets, I really doubt it.

Some people might say - "well, tf2 is a big game." So was HL1, HL2, counter strike, quake and quakeworld - but those never got the updates like tf2 is getting.

The more updates that are pushed out the door, the more I think that TF2 was pushed out just for the 2007 holiday season.
TF2 has a lot of issues to be dealt with. Not so much with the other games you mentioned.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
So, wait... if you don't update enough, you get yelled at. If you do, you get yelled at?

Why anyone bothers is beyond me.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:28 AM   #7
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
So, wait... if you don't update enough, you get yelled at. If you do, you get yelled at?

Why anyone bothers is beyond me.
There is a balance to it all.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 04:29 AM   #8
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
The balance of upsetting fanboys is all there is. You and kev are two of the biggest whiners about TF2 on the forum, right up there with Tu. But Tu's just plain comedy.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 04:56 AM   #9
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
The balance of upsetting fanboys is all there is. You and kev are two of the biggest whiners about TF2 on the forum, right up there with Tu. But Tu's just plain comedy.
How what I posted was woven into what you said is something I will never be able to comprehend.

My comment was about the balance between update speed. To often, like what they are doing, will make people complain about constant downloads. Not often enough will make people complain about a lack of updates.

Ronald Reagan

Old 02-22-2008, 04:59 AM   #10
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Given your past history of whining about TF2, it was assumed that comment was a negative one towards the updates of TF2.

See what I did there?

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 05:12 AM   #11
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Given your past history of whining about TF2, it was assumed that comment was a negative one towards the updates of TF2.

See what I did there?
Yes, but it would be sort of like making the assumption that a every BOSS MFX pedal will be just a great buy as the last.

For me, though, I prefer lots of updates. It shows that they are doing stuff and are wanting to change the game. However, I've always felt that FPS games update the game insanely slow. MMO's tend to get the speed right for me.

However, slow updates can be counter balanced by large, useful updates. If a large useful update produces some buggy stuff, then a lot of small, quick updates are best.

I'd say a small update every two weeks, a medium update every three, or a large update every four is, generally, a good way to go about things for FPS.

Ronald Reagan

Old 02-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #12
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Well it's not lik eyou have to do anything, just leave steam running and the game updates itself.

Damn, FF needs this...
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Quote:
Sir, I am very, very offended by your statement.

Lets something straight right NOW - I am the biggest whiner about TF2 on this site, PERIOD. There aint no second place, or second runner up for the biggest TF2 whiner job. Either I am THE biggest whiner, or I am going to bump someone out of their place.

Now then, who is this "Credge" person? I bet he can not whine near a much as me. I have yet to begin to whine. I shall not whine before its time. Whining is like a fine red wine, it only gets better with age. You only "think" you have seen whining, you aint seen jack. I know whine when I see it, and this aint no whining

As for the updates - valve had 9 freaking years to beta test TF2, and they still have to add and fix stuff? Are yall blind or something? Hello??? If something takes you 9 years to do, then you still have to fix it - something is wrong there!!!

I bet the only reason why tf2 was ever released was because FF was nearing release. I am willing to bet that valve slapped tf2 together and pushed it out the door just to try and squash FF. The development of tf2 was done in sheer haste - the number of updates proves it.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ

Quote:
Whine
http://www.cheese.com/ < All the cheese you need for your whine

Old 02-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #15
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

I don't want to click that link...

Old 02-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #16
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Kev, he can't whine as much, but he sure as hell can bombard you with walls of text.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #17
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Kev, he can't whine as much, but he sure as hell can bombard you with walls of text.
You can break those with an 'I'm too lazy to read that'-shield.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #18
SmellyCat
Darknight

Wow, there are some really dumb posts in this thread.

Here's a +1 to that.
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #19
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
As for the updates - valve had 9 freaking years to beta test TF2, and they still have to add and fix stuff? Are yall blind or something? Hello??? If something takes you 9 years to do, then you still have to fix it - something is wrong there!!!

I bet the only reason why tf2 was ever released was because FF was nearing release. I am willing to bet that valve slapped tf2 together and pushed it out the door just to try and squash FF. The development of tf2 was done in sheer haste - the number of updates proves it.
TF2 has been several games throughout those 9 years. Off my head, I can recall:

1. Realistic Shooter with a commander. (1999)
2. RTSesque game focusing on collecting building materials. (2003)
3. The current one. (2007)

I imagine that the current TF2 has been in development for about two or so years. Given that they developed a consistant art style and made the gameplay more acceptable to today's gamers within two years, they did a great job. If you look at the early videos and the files inside the game, there were a lot of ideas cut out, such as a Nailgun for the Scout, Detpack for the Demoman, and Tranq Gun for the Spy, along with cp_badlands being planned to be in the game at release. It seems that, now that they have the game out, they're trying to implant those ideas that they didn't have time to solidify eariler (via the "alternative weapon sets" and patches). I don't see anything wrong with that.

FF has done the same thing with it's patches. Models for Training, 2fort and Rock2 are in the files, along with early bot code, and those features are coming out, in one way or another.

Fortress Forever and TF2 have two different goals. FF is a mixture of classic TFC and new ideas to streamline gameplay and encourage teamwork, while TF2 is a new game using ideas from TFC as it's base.
Hirohito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #20
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Looking at it, well... I don't like TF2. I also think some people whine way, way, way too hardcore about TF2.

That said, I agree with ~kev~. The released game is being changed every 15 seconds practically - it's like it's one huge public beta.

They have some bugs around that just shouldn't be. Just look at all of the griefing videos...

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote