Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #121
o_darksoul

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
donny, do whatever you'd like with your map. i don't think anyone posting on this thread will be losing any sleep if you don't include their comments and suggestions in your map. at the end of the day, the comments that have been mentioned are for your own benefit, the only person whos going to miss out is yourself when noone wants to play a rather poor looking map that you've spent a lot of time working on.
o_darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2006, 08:02 PM   #122
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
No offence meant, but seriously, you have been to an art college and you can't see what is wrong with this?
If you have been to school you should be able to read this line which was written over the picture Note that I havent done anything with the walls in the back. meaning that you are looking a un-finished hammer picture.

Quote:
And as far as I am aware, I thought when someone creates a topic on a map that they have been designing, it is to show it off what they have done, and to ask for constructive criticism of which we are trying to do, but you just tell us to feck off with our ideas.
Umm... You want to have lights; I say that there are no light props that would suit my taste, and that building is just for the feel that the players entered the spawn trough that door, so no lights are really needed.
Then you want to have sidewalk of a sidewalk and really ugly concrete wall on the back of the building which really serves no purpouse there, I dont like the idea, you start acting like bunch of asses and now you say that "Hey we acted like ass and didnt see you post that I dont like that idea and we pulled the idea back like you hadnt see it there so now that you say it louder and you hurted our feelings we now say you dumb all our ideas down!! u suxx lolz! i wont liek post in dis tread lol! ur map suxxx becuz you dont add a wall there lael lolz!111"

EDIT: And if you think that I dumbed all the ideas down you should read this thread trough and see the idea on adding something to the walls to not make it repeative. I said that I will do that, and I have thought of it myself. If I dont think some idea is good you dont have to feel so hurt There there.
If I like the idea or I think that it could work I try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksoul
donny, do whatever you'd like with your map. i don't think anyone posting on this thread will be losing any sleep if you don't include their comments and suggestions in your map. at the end of the day, the comments that have been mentioned are for your own benefit, the only person whos going to miss out is yourself when noone wants to play a rather poor looking map that you've spent a lot of time working on.
I think player is losing his sleep for me not thinking that his idea is not good.
And do you really think that people say when they see this map "Oh man that building doesnt have concrete wall behind it! This map sucks!" If there are really people like that Im glad that they arent playing this map.
I have seen many really ugly maps being played and liked. And I wont lose any sleep if this map isnt played. I just like to create something, did others like it or not.

EDIT: Anyway, if I dont think some idea is good, I wont add it to my map.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2006, 01:45 PM   #123
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
If you have been to school you should be able to read...
Maybe you should learn to read...

Right, lets start; for starters, nowhere in this thread have I spoken about wanting you to have lights in your map so

Quote:
Umm... You want to have lights; I say that there are no light props that would suit my taste, and that building is just for the feel that the players entered the spawn trough that door, so no lights are really needed.
is completely incorrect. You then go on about me telling you to include a concrete backing for your building which must look as the example I posted; whereas if you had read my posts you would have seen this:

Quote:
But then again, my example was only to give you an idea. I didn't say "Do this or G-Man will rape you...", it was supposed to get you thinking of ways to make the building fit in.
With this, you should have then gone on to use your "art college" knowledge to come up with some ideas and experiment possible solutions to see which looks best instead of saying "Im the artist here, if I dont like the idea..." . I know this as I too went to an art college for Graphic Design; you should never just stick with your intial idea unless you have tried out many possible solutions to choose from. And what on Earth is a 'Sidewalk of a sidewalk'? And yes, it would serve a purpose. A purpose that is to make it look more correct, more 'at home' and natural as I keep saying. When people make buildings in the real world they tend to make a concrete base for the building to rest upon; this is done for a reason...

You actually have a map idea that could end up turning out quite good if you listen to criticism and suggestions and try and expand on some of these suggestions, otherwise, it will unfortunately go nowhere.

Oh, and I wouldn't loose sleep over something such as this. It isn't in my nature to loose sleep anway as that is all I do. And this idea you speak of, it was just an idea; something that perhaps could ignite some creativity within you just to make the thing in question more appealing.

Yes I do realise that you have taken some, or should I say one suggestion on board and that is good. It is a start atleast :P

Last edited by o_player; 06-20-2006 at 02:48 PM.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2006, 10:29 PM   #124
o_donny

Yeah I have read your point, too many times so to say.
But the end of this talk is here
1. You try still to get me do that ugly wall there
2. I say no
3. You finally admit that Im still going to keep my back and not break under the pressure of the constant spam and whining and Im still the mapper and it's up to me if I want something to be added. And finally leave this thread as it is.
4. Trolls get their sausage and weed from local store and go bully others.
5. Everyone is happy. EDIT: (Even Circuitous is not, but let's just say that he will never be happy.)

Old 06-20-2006, 10:30 PM   #125
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I'm not happy.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #126
o_player

I give up; I cannot compete.

Now post some updates...

Old 06-21-2006, 03:19 PM   #127
o_donny

Quote:
I give up; I cannot compete.

Now post some updates...
Yeah, as soon as I get the Red hq area ready (this takes long time)

Old 06-25-2006, 11:53 AM   #128
o_stino

maybe you could have used this tactic:
if someone complains about somthing, let him complain, and let him discuss it with the others, and keep working on your map, and post screens of improvements (but not about that specific point :d) and when the rest looks good enough, or you changed something about that point, you can post a screen of it.

thats what i did with badlands :d, if you read the thread you'll see what i mean :d, ignore them and keep working on the map :d
o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2006, 12:31 PM   #129
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by stino
maybe you could have used this tactic:
if someone complains about somthing, let him complain, and let him discuss it with the others, and keep working on your map, and post screens of improvements (but not about that specific point :d) and when the rest looks good enough, or you changed something about that point, you can post a screen of it.

thats what i did with badlands :d, if you read the thread you'll see what i mean :d, ignore them and keep working on the map :d
Lol.
I'll try that.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #130
o_donny

I'M

NOT

DEAD

YET

This is to prove you that Im not fucking with you
Hammer is also being a bitch with the burshes.

Oh and indeed, this is the new style that I have decided to go with. VERY VERY unfinished.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #131
o_bumgravy

Haha I remember seeing this shot and getting inspired to go nuts with architecture, now I think I see a touch of my own "style" (term used very loosely) used here, it almost brings a tear of joy to my eye to know somene is getting use out of my bevelled arches tutorial Its looking very good, I like those barrel shaped sections. I think it will look awesome once youve displacementified this area.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #132
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumGravy
Haha I remember seeing this shot and getting inspired to go nuts with architecture, now I think I see a touch of my own "style" (term used very loosely) used here, it almost brings a tear of joy to my eye to know somene is getting use out of my bevelled arches tutorial Its looking very good, I like those barrel shaped sections. I think it will look awesome once youve displacementified this area.
Yeah, we all can learn from eachother. :P
I hate when the bevelled stuff get's fucked but with your tutorial, 80% of them actully work when I do it!

Im stunned to hear that this map got you going. Wow

Old 01-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #133
o_pigeons

Hate to stray off-topic here, but where is this tutorial you speak of?
o_pigeons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #134
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeons
Hate to stray off-topic here, but where is this tutorial you speak of?
Search around the BumGravy's map topic. Link is in his signature.
Somewhere around the end, but not too soon. Scroll down when you see the bridge picture, if I remember right it's close.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #135
o_own3r

Quote:
I'M

NOT

DEAD

YET

This is to prove you that Im not fucking with you
Hammer is also being a bitch with the burshes.

Oh and indeed, this is the new style that I have decided to go with. VERY VERY unfinished.

I quite like the large pillar style you've got going there!

What part of the base am i looking at here?

Theres something about that satellite dish which looks wrong i cant place it though
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #136
o_player

Now that is an improvement when compared to the other screenshots :P

And, here comes the moaning--again; that satellite produces a negative effect for my mood. It might be its position, it might be the fact that there is a satellite there when I believe it would look better off with something else there, ie. symmetry... Uh, pipes. The pipes you see at on the left pillar do not look properly lit, either.

Some of your textures need to be changed or realigned (I am sure you are aware of this, though; I am also aware that this isn't final) :P

Well it looks better than your last version and I hope you continue to improve it

Old 01-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #137
o_sta_sirtiger

Would you feel great if I told you that the last screen shot looks much better than most of FF's official maps? If so, great . Keep up the A+ work. Actually, maybe better than the officials..(except for the pipes and the satellite).
o_sta_sirtiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2007, 10:34 AM   #138
o_donny

I placed the satellite dish there just for fun. If feeled dull without it.

Player you said that the textures aint realigned properly, if you mostly mean the textures in the arch of the ball wall thing that comes out of the respawn, it's so much work for so little thing, so I wont do it now, I know that the rock textures arent in best scale and that the redish brick wall texture in the 'thing' that comes out over the doorway isnt also (fixed it already).

I'll try to get that spawn somewhat finished today.

Own3r the last picture is from the spawn, where red team spawns. They can use the path that is on the right of their spawn to get out or, the concers can use the path that is behind the camera for faster path... seeecreeetss!

As for what STA_SirTiger said, I do not concur. Eats curfed maps will still give me erection, and always will.

Edit: Now for cup of coffee and cup of mapping barren

Old 01-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #139
o_donny

UPDEATZZZ

Had to re-do some blocks to stop grinding my gears, had to re-desing few places, had to add few ugly things to make your gears grind, had to add another pipez0r clusterz0r to get more whinez0r

It's still not finished but I'll leave it like that for now and start working on capure point 1.

Anyways:

If you are wondering what's the black wall of death in front of the spawn, it's where there will be box that I made it, so players can spam my inbox how much it sucks donkey balls instead of the server admins.

EDIT: Just noticed, the pics are from older compile, I've chainged few things after that, nothing über major though.

Last edited by o_donny; 01-09-2007 at 02:13 PM.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:31 PM   #140
o_player

To be honest, I do not like your prop placement (your flood lights and the wires look bad); experiment with the placement/model type anyway until you get something that looks natural. I suppose it could just be the poor model lighting. Other than that, I guess it looks good.

Instead of drinking coffee, drink tea :P