Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Fuck Yea!!!
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
Deadly Furby
Elder Scroll

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Deadly Furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #23
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzEyes93 View Post
Wow. I don't know why I expected anything different from you guys, but do you HAVE to be such haters ALL the time?

Of 17 chapters, the last 4 chapters will be in a second release. That gives you 13 chapters to play and have fun in. Is it REALLY such a horrible thing? With every post I post on this site, it is followed up with "When BM OUt?" regardless of what the topic is. Now it is coming out and now all you can say is "Without Xen? WTF?"

Take a look at yourselves and see what exactly what the "Fortress Forever" real problem is.

I am done here.
I feel your pain Catz. 17+ years in open source I see this all the time. Something free that the only expense that the user has to make is to install and use/play and they piss and moan like they were the one bankrolling it...

I believe the words you guys are struggling to find are "Thank you."

Now...fire up steam and see what I can do with this...

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #24
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
It's called jokes. I don't think anyone here was really assaulting BM.

Oh and also, and I don't mean to sound rude, but just because someone does something, really works hard and puts their everything into it, doesn't mean we have to like it or even embrace it. If someone doesn't like your game you can't act like a baby because you worked so hard on it. Because people are entitled to their opinions, and this is a discussion board.

That said, I'm sure BM will be wonderful, and I'll even load it up and see what's up with the what up. Good work BM team.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #25
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=94128543

"This game has been Greenlit by the Community!"

FYI a FREE MOD got GREENLIT
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #26
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Hm. Not sure what to make of that. Good for them, though.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #27
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
3... 2... 1...

403 Forbidden.

Torrent download link (also dead at time of this edit): http://www.gameupdates.org/details.php?id=5152&dllist=1
Working torrent link with multiple trackers: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5372503/BlackMesa.torrent

Last edited by Agent Buckshot Moose; 09-14-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #28
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Eeeek! torrents are sloooow, the black mesa release download page is being thrashed, and the 3 sites as mirrors are basically either 403 forbidden, 502 bad gateway error for the canadian one, and gamefront only seems to have 2 of 3 and 3 of 3 files.

Last edited by SomeOldGuy; 09-14-2012 at 03:57 PM.
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #29
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy View Post
Eeeek! torrents are sloooow, the black mesa release download page is being thrashed, and the 3 sites as mirrors are basically either 403 forbidden, 502 bad gateway error for the canadian one, and gamefront only seems to have 2 of 3 and 3 of 3 files.
My download from the Dropbox torrent is going at 1.8 MB/s.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #30
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Finally got it. Thanks Moosie.

Started it up... and the memories of the original have come back.
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #31
be_

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Hello all. It's really weird that today I just decided to check out some old websites I used to frequent many years ago. Black Mesa was one of them and FF was another. Gonna finally check out BM. What has it been, like 7 years or something since it started??? holy shit man. Hope you're all doing well irl.
be_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #32
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

A few screenshots I took while playing:

The Art of Barrel Stacking

HOT!

Cool view. Don't look down!

These were particularly difficult to kill until I popped a few in the head with my .357 Magnum.

PIZZA PARTY! HOORAY!!!

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 09-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #33
Gamingmaster000
Banned

Affiliations: Dalokohs & Sandvich,I'm 12
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
hey guize hl2 and episode 1 and episode 2 were shit

games wit no endingz

why valve such scumbags it's been 7 years since ep2 and we still don't know when ep3 is coming out

fuk valve
Come on, don't get angry at Valve for having to wait for Ep3. I'VE WAITED FOR 9 F*CKING YEARS FOR TF2!
Gamingmaster000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #34
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamingmaster000 View Post
Come on, don't get angry at Valve for having to wait for Ep3. I'VE WAITED FOR 9 F*CKING YEARS FOR TF2!
You waited 9 years for a bad game? LAWL
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #35
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Last week when I got the game there were 3k torrent seeds, mine averaged around 70kps. Monday it was up to 7k. Today 11k seeds. Torrent is the way to go for a 3GB download. Having just finished the game staring at the "to be continued" screen I thought what a FUCKING AWESOME experience. Black Mesa is pretty damn cool.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #36
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Never played the original HL. So I've been playing through BM and it's just sexy as hell. I'm really enjoying it. However there are a few quirks that are dampening my experience.

The BM team just straight up fucked ladders. They are so annoying to use now.

Music ONLY plays during battles. Idk what's up with that. I enjoy the music itself, but instead of adding to the ambiance of the game it just distracts me in gun fights, making it impossible to hear enemies and such.

Also BM is the second game I've played that I experience negative mouse accel. Idk why that is, and I don't think it's really the devs fault or anything. It's just annoying.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #37
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

I completely agree with the ladders. That first boss fight where you gotta not get hit by those tentacle/claw things were difficult only due to the ladders and unfortunately, it's the same throughout the entire game.

The only other thing I didn't like was the amount of weapons I was obtaining. I'm pretty OCD about keeping ammo in my weapons at all times, so I rarely went without. Since I don't use 1-9 for choosing a weapon(instead I use [ and ] nextwep/prevwep/lastinv), it made it difficult sometimes to sort through the mess of weapons to find which one I wanted.

Still, even with these issues, I give this unfinished mod a 10/10 so far and I cannot wait till we see the last part of the game released as well as co-op or multiplayer.

Btw, co-op is possible currently, but it's a bitch to set up from what I hear and since it's only a workaround and not an actual feature, there will probably be issues with getting locked in places and stuff like that.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #38
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Since there are new half life players I'll censor certain things. Part of the fun is discovery.

The music "interludes" are from the original game at certain points. i agree while they initially add to the environment the shear volume is distracting. Can't hear whats going on in the arena.

I think the ladders were fucked in the original half life too. Maybe that's on purpose for this mod but I agree they are a pain and getting past the tentacles is tough because you get stuck on the ladders. And timing critical.

And how many times did I drop to my death trying to get onto a ladder. Same as the original.

One of the challenges from half life was the severe lack of ammo. Half way through the mod I stopped conserving and once you get the (censored) gun it's just baby town frolic. The enemy AI is tough though. Those shotgun (censored) are friggin hell. I will give it a month or so and try the hardest setting to see if ammo is more scarce. Since the alerted AI basically tracks you through walls there is no sneaking in this game.

The weapons also mirror half life but they are refreshingly modded heavily. And yeah when you turn a corner and a (censored) teleports in it's like "fuck where's my shotgun!" click click click - dead.

The achievements are also a nice touch. I didn't even know you could overcharge the (censored) and when I did and died I lol'd at the achievement.

The devs also have a great sense of humor, looking around at the little details is fun.

Black Mesa like Fortress forever is fucking pro.

10/10

To reference the original, I can't wait for xen!
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #39
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
If I can run FF can I run this?
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #40
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Thoughts:

Didn't like what they did for weapon selection, where if you have the pistol out and you press 2 again, it immediately selects the revolver. Just felt clunky and an unnecessary change that shouldn't have been on if you had quick weapon switching turned off.

Also, there's simply too many ammo drops to compensate for being able to carry less ammo. The two main weapons in the game are honestly the revolver and shotgun because they're constantly throwing ammo for those two weapons at you all game, and while it's not -bad-, I wish the other weapons could be made better by carrying more ammo (and the pistol sucks complete dick compared to HL1's pistol - you could beat HL1 with just crowbar + pistol, even the final boss).

Also, the crowbar oneshotting headcrabs is stupid. That's one thing I hated about HL2, being able to take out headcrabs with one swing made them feel like an annoyance rather than a threat. Especially in BM, where they only do, what, 8 damage on hard mode? Kind of pointless now.

Difficulty is great, the marines kicked my ass several times throughout my runs. There are still ways to abuse their AIs, like in any game, but overall it felt rewarding to get past a tough area.

Visually it's incredibly stunning, especially the opening sequence and the cliff part. Particularly when the jets fly overhead into the background (not going to spoil it).

I liked a lot of the liberties they took with some level designs (questionable ethics). At first I was worried they'd change too much from HL1, but they did a good job in picking what was bad and could be improved, and what was already awesome and memorable.

Voiceovers are a mixed bag - most are great, but the occasional ones (female scientists for instance) feel off. And the solid snake marines...well, they grow on you.

Overall it's a great mod. For using the source engine, the production values are still incredibly high and if it wasn't HL1 it could probably be passed off as its own game. I'm very excited to see what they do with Xen.

(also how can some people have never played the original HL? if you're looking for iconic FPSes, you have to play the early iD games, and you have to play half-life. They pretty much defined early FPSes and the FPSes in late-90's/early 00's. seriously it's like $5 on steam)
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote