Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 02-21-2007, 02:29 AM   #81
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
I've heard people saying this was an issue long before Bush's "troop surge" came around.

And I finally found the stats we are looking for, I believe, on the DoD's website:
http://siadapp.dior.whs.mil/personne...ARY/Miltop.htm

It lays out not just numbers, but locations as well. Most up-to-date is Sept 2006 I think.

Total Worldwide: 1,384,96

Of that about 1,100 are deployed in the US & its territories. Add in those stationed around the globe, and it starts to look pretty "thin".

The real question, I suppose, is how many of those troops in the US and other posts are "available" for deployment to Iraq or elsewhere. Given the number of reserve and national guard troops we've had to send and keep in Iraq, I'm thinking not many...?

"Don't get me wrong, I think the manner in which this conflict has been prosecuted has been absolutely retarded...but then you would have screamed alot louder had I been the one calling the shots."
Yeah, even if you think we should be there, I don't see how anyone could deny how badly it was (or wasn't) planned out. The general in charge now is actually one of the better guys, and is trained in counter-insurgency tactics (they talk a lot about how well he did in Fiasco, he was one of the few bright spots). I'm worried that it's too little too late, though... :/ And that bit about me screaming louder if it was you in charge I don't get...?!
Yes, the report I quoted above is from the September 2006 report as well. Personally I think alot of our Worldwide bases should be closed so we can focus closer to home and whatever hotspots where our involvement is required for whatever reason.

My comment about screaming louder if I was in charge refers to how I woul have prosecuted the conflict. It's fodder for another thread but I think the manner in which we have used our military in the last 35+ years has been absolutely retarded. The only conflict that comes close to the mark, IMO, was Desert Storm 1.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2007, 02:34 AM   #82
o_jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
Yes, the report I quoted above is from the September 2006 report as well. Personally I think alot of our Worldwide bases should be closed so we can focus closer to home and whatever hotspots where our involvement is required for whatever reason.

My comment about screaming louder if I was in charge refers to how I woul have prosecuted the conflict. It's fodder for another thread but I think the manner in which we have used our military in the last 35+ years has been absolutely retarded. The only conflict that comes close to the mark, IMO, was Desert Storm 1.
Not sure closing those would free up many troops, the majority are still in the US..? And yeah, we could be much more effective. I feel sorry for the troops... I mean, we tell them to take a hill and they'll fucking do it, they do their job. But when there's no overall strategy for victory from above, we really do them a disservice. They can win all the battles and we'll still lose the war if you get what I mean.
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2007, 02:42 AM   #83
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
Not sure closing those would free up many troops, the majority are still in the US..? And yeah, we could be much more effective. I feel sorry for the troops... I mean, we tell them to take a hill and they'll fucking do it, they do their job. But when there's no overall strategy for victory from above, we really do them a disservice. They can win all the battles and we'll still lose the war if you get what I mean.
I know there are some troops that do not like being in Iraq. I can tell you, honestly, of the ~20 that I know either online or in person they are there for the mission. Universally they think that Iraq is a sh**hole but they love doing their job...which is what they've trained for. I spent 3 weeks in South Korea for Team Spirit 89 and I loved being there. I didn't care much for the country though I found it interesting and I didn't want to go in the months before the deployment. But once I was there I loved being there and I am glad I went.

As far as freeing troops up goes many of those bases are in areas where peace prevails so deploying troops from there would not be a problem. Also, aside from ammunition we're already funding their operations. Moving their base of operations will not require that much more in additional funding.

There's certainly a game afoot in what we see in the press and I don't take much of it at face value. Applying this to the thread topic I think the biggest problem we'd see with a rebirth of the Soviet Union will be re-escalation of the Arms race...though I think China's working hard to enter that game as well.

Last edited by o_|404|innoc-tpf-; 02-21-2007 at 02:48 AM.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:47 AM   #84
o_soundchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
It's unbecoming to see people commit blatant and brainless trolling, but more unbecoming to see people become dissuaded and succumb to this simple and boorish trolling, whereas a simple ignore suffices.
yes...i agree....what he^^ said. enuff of the trolling peeps...you know who you are....like CRAYOLA the troll.
o_soundchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2007, 03:06 AM   #85
o_yomamashouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
There's certainly a game afoot in what we see in the press and I don't take much of it at face value. Applying this to the thread topic I think the biggest problem we'd see with a rebirth of the Soviet Union will be re-escalation of the Arms race...though I think China's working hard to enter that game as well.
I agree, China definitely wants to be seen a a super power just like the Russians, I don't know how I would feel knowing they possessed a great deal of military power, they come across as potential bullies.

The one reassuring thing is that they are making the same mistake they did in the Opium wars, I'm sure they think having the greatest headcount of all military powers is worth a lot but as long as Europe and the US have superior technology and (as far as i know) tactics they are not much good for anything other than defending themselves or attacking their neighbors.
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2007, 03:17 AM   #86
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

The thing you have to watch about China is that they are not as short sighted as the West and they think in terms of generations. One of the biggest dangers I think would be them throwing in on someone's side "we" are in opposition to. And by we I mean the West.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:06 AM   #87
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I don't have a whole lot of time lately, so I've been neglecting the forums to work on FF. Since I don't time to post endless warnings, I'll keep this simple:

Political Discussions = Fine
Pointless, stupid, trollish flaming = NOT fine

If you aren't sure where the line is, read some of the posts in this thread by Darken_Hellspawn, soundchaser, ()))Crayola))_>, STA_SirTiger, and anyone else I've missed. This sort of bickering is what drives more reasonable posters away from the forum, and so I will punish for it if and when I see any more of it -- starting with a temp-ban, and ending with a permanent one.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2007, 06:58 AM   #88
o_bubbles

Man, how the hell did I miss this thread before it got to 5 pages?
o_bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2007, 12:22 PM   #89
o_darken_hellspawn

I am very concerned about Russia...........

I do not want to come off as an US ingrate. I do in fact respect for Canada and Europe. I do have much respect for most other countrys as well. I am just putting out there that Putin seems to be hell bent on repeating history. It will repeat itself if people do not put their foot down and prevent it. Now russia has said that there will not be another "cold war". of course there wont because they do not have the economy or the money to do it. They are still trying to crawl out of the effects from the last one but they way they talk sounds different to me as if they are wanting the "status" of a superpower so bad they will do anything to acheive it.

That is where it starts to get ugly again..............
o_darken_hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #90
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Ok DH, I agree that the rumblings from Russia have an ominous tone. When you say that "people should put their foot down" what does that look like to you? What do you believe can or should be done to block that? Personally I think the economic hurdles in the way of such a move are pretty substantial by themselves without getting into the other issues that prevent such an action. I think that Putin can be as nostalgic as he likes...his dream seems pretty remote and inaccessible to me.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #91
o_darken_hellspawn

Well since you asked...........

I feel that if Russia continues this downward trend that first off take them off of the NATO ballot since we have denied them so many times it is doubtfull we can use that as a carrot anymore. Possible sanctions if Russia starts acting on the stupidity they are spewing. Now this will not be possible through the UN of course since I am guessing they will veto sanctions against themselves. Rice fired back today and the Russians are claiming they do not want to start an arms race but I do not see what they are gaining by publicly starting the flames. I do not hate Russia but I feel that they still harbour ill feelings toward us and I do not even mind that they were against us invading Iraq but who wasnt at that time.

They are wanting to gain support with China and of course they have military excersises with them allready and now almost backing Iran outright is absurd. They just want to be a thorn un our side since what they say makes no difference to us and we do not take them seriously anymore which angers them.

Now the Sanctions deadline is today for Iran and now I am sure that Russia will block the effort of further sanctions against them so it is up to Europe, Israel and US to stop them ourselves if needs be.
o_darken_hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote