Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 08-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #21
651ett
Fat kids are hard 2 kidnap

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Hooooooly shit L2pullout or if you're too lazy or it doesn't work L2condom, neither way is expensive. Damn.
651ett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #22
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
The earth is not overpopulated. There's no evidence to suggest that it is. That you have cities with insane population densities is not proof. Arable land incapable of producing sufficient food to meet global population demands would be proof and it doesn't exist. For every region where people starve I can show you that it is internal political corruption and strife that starves those people.

Now does that mean I'll pop out 17 kids? No. I have one child that is mine genetically and that is my son.

edit: "Fat kids are hard to kidnap". LOL ml4651

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #23
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
If I had a vagina nothing would be coming out of it.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #24
Thor-Stryker
Spybox

Class/Position: Sniper, Defensive
Gametype: Capture Point
Affiliations: Unguilded
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to Thor-Stryker Send a message via Yahoo to Thor-Stryker
Good for men then, because they'd be putting everything in :P
Thor-Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #25
Jifcuits

The earth is overpopulated
Jifcuits is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #26
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
The earth is not overpopulated. There's no evidence to suggest that it is. That you have cities with insane population densities is not proof. Arable land incapable of producing sufficient food to meet global population demands would be proof and it doesn't exist. For every region where people starve I can show you that it is internal political corruption and strife that starves those people.

Now does that mean I'll pop out 17 kids? No. I have one child that is mine genetically and that is my son.

edit: "Fat kids are hard to kidnap". LOL ml4651
If you're only going to take in the human to food ratio, then maybe the Earth isn't overpopulated. But there are many, many factors to consider. Take clean water, for example. Clean water is one of the foremost problems we face today. Today over 1 billion people lack clean water. Clean water is becoming more and more scarce, whether you notice it from your water rich community or not. Four billion people could face freshwater shortages by 2050. Even here in the USA, Arizona will be severely limited by 2025. Today, China is already facing water shortages. It's easy to dismiss these types of numbers when we live in a life when just have to walk a few feet to the kitchen to receive drinking water at our disposal. The problem has global implications, however. Deadly conflicts already being waged over water resources.

But again, food and clean water is just a small bit of what needs to be considered. We can look at the problems of clean breathing air, shelter, energy, employment, medical care, education and other resources that are fundamental. The question is how much population can Earth handle while being a suitable habitat, for both humans and other animals. Also needed to be considered is how much population can Earth sustain and at what level of quality. A world of 15 billion living, but suffering people is not a world of underpopulation. If you look at all forms of pollution, global warming, overfishing, species loss as a result of ecological habitat destruction, land use and desertification, etc., you see we are doing poorly. Non-renewable resources such as minerals, ores, and particularly oil are quickly depleting. We already had our discussion on peak oil. You need to consider what's called an ecological footprint: what we use and what can be regenerated. Looking at analyses and reports on our ecological footprint, it's evident there are more humans that what can be sustained. By no means is this a rapid or instantaneous process, but it's occurring nonetheless. So while you may not directly face the ramifications in your lifetime, the repercussions of overpopulation will be dire for future generations.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2007, 09:51 PM   #27
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
i dont believe in mixing races but thats jsut me
awesome! someone quoted me! Nuk3m ftw!
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2007, 10:47 PM   #28
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Uber, you're reinforcing the point I made earlier. The Earth is not overpopulated and regional issues does not make the broader statement correct. Also, you mention conflicts being waged over water resources. I suspect that any specific conflict you might name actually has larger issues at stake than just water so to say that they're being waged over water resources is hardly fair or accurate.

That said, I have stated all along that there are major changes everywhere that could be made. Developing Nations could benefit from some of the issues that the US has learned the hard way but they frequently do not appear to be interested. Relating to simply potable water...look at the pollution outflow from Chinese factories. With their population they're hurting themselves quicker and worse than the US ever did...even though the information on that was readily available.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:18 AM   #29
Jifcuits

Old 08-07-2007, 03:27 AM   #30
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jifcuits
Wow, so convincing. Run for office. Go, now.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:50 AM   #31
Jifcuits

I'm not falling for your tricks, office max is closed

Old 08-07-2007, 05:06 AM   #32
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

dang

Old 08-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #33
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
If you're only going to take in the human to food ratio, then maybe the Earth isn't overpopulated. But there are many, many factors to consider. Take clean water, for example. Clean water is one of the foremost problems we face today. Today over 1 billion people lack clean water.
That's a sanitation problem, not an overpopulation problem. If someone lives in my house and they piss in my drinking water and don't filter that water before using it again that isn't an overpopulation problem in their home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber
Four billion people could face freshwater shortages by 2050.
[sarcasm]Global cooling will prevent this.[/sarcasm]

Quote:
Even here in the USA, Arizona will be severely limited by 2025.
Problem solved: move out of Arizona. To quote the greatest commedian of all time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kinison
You want to help world hunger? Stop sending them food. Don't send them another bite, send them U-Hauls. Send them a guy that says, "You know, we've been coming here giving you food for about 35 years now and we were driving through the desert, and we realized there wouldn't BE world hunger if you people would live where the FOOD IS! YOU LIVE IN A DESERT!! UNDERSTAND THAT? YOU LIVE IN A FUCKING DESERT!! NOTHING GROWS HERE! NOTHING'S GONNA GROW HERE! Come here, you see this? This is sand. You know what it's gonna be 100 years from now? IT'S GONNA BE SAND!! YOU LIVE IN A FUCKING DESERT! We have deserts in America, we just don't live in them, assholes!"
Quote:
Today, China is already facing water shortages. It's easy to dismiss these types of numbers when we live in a life when just have to walk a few feet to the kitchen to receive drinking water at our disposal. The problem has global implications, however. Deadly conflicts already being waged over water resources.
At what point should government step in to stop of overpopulation the problem with forced abortions? Presumably the overpopulation problem could get this bad, when should this policy be carried out worldwide?

Quote:
We can look at the problems of clean breathing air, shelter, energy, employment, medical care, education and other resources that are fundamental.
Let's say someone lives in a small one room house with a small child. There is a sink, toilet, fridge, etc. They smoke, only feed the kid chocolate bars and water, don't really keep the kid clean or help them when they scrape their knee, don't read to kid or tell him about the world. Is that an overpopulation problem in that house? No, it's a regional issue with that population.

Quote:
Non-renewable resources such as minerals, ores, and particularly oil are quickly depleting.
If an when oil is depleted this problem will be easily solved with nuclear energy and telecommuting. Anyone who believes business is just going to "welp, shit, oil is gone, let's stop making widgets cause we can't drive to work" has a very limited view. If all oil was gone tomorrow, man would adapt very quickly. The middle east would be fucked in the long run, but places that can grown their own food like America/Europe would be fine.

Scuzzy

Old 08-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #34
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
And once again, uber gets owned :O.

+1 Scuz.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #35
CatzEyes93
Black Mesa Voice Actor

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
I see absolutly nothing wrong with this. They are willing, able, and happy to bring more bundles into the world. No one is being forced to do this. Not the wife, not the husband. Each child is obviously cared for and have two caring parents. They are able to support their litter and they are happy for each child that comes in the world. If they want to produce 50 children, how exactly is that affecting you specifically? It is no different than 50 couples only having one each. Or 50 couples not having any at all and this family picking up the slack and having 50 of their own.

You speak of them being a burden on society, yet you dont take into account the millions of couples that cant have children. You are suggesting these people specifically are causing an imbalance when in fact what it really is, is that you simply think they stupid for having so many kids cuz YOU wouldnt have that many kids. Fine. Dont. No one is stopping you from refraining from spreading your genes around, but who the heck died and made you God that you should decide at what point enough is enough? I mean really. Who died and made you God?

On a side note... I am amazed that this woman is actually ok with being pregnant for 10 years of her life!
CatzEyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2007, 08:09 PM   #36
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzEyes93
I mean really. Who died and made you God?
...Jesus?
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #37
CatzEyes93
Black Mesa Voice Actor

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
LOL!
CatzEyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #38
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
That's a sanitation problem, not an overpopulation problem. If someone lives in my house and they piss in my drinking water and don't filter that water before using it again that isn't an overpopulation problem in their home.

[sarcasm]Global cooling will prevent this.[/sarcasm]

Problem solved: move out of Arizona. To quote the greatest commedian of all time:

At what point should government step in to stop of overpopulation the problem with forced abortions? Presumably the overpopulation problem could get this bad, when should this policy be carried out worldwide?

Let's say someone lives in a small one room house with a small child. There is a sink, toilet, fridge, etc. They smoke, only feed the kid chocolate bars and water, don't really keep the kid clean or help them when they scrape their knee, don't read to kid or tell him about the world. Is that an overpopulation problem in that house? No, it's a regional issue with that population.

If an when oil is depleted this problem will be easily solved with nuclear energy and telecommuting. Anyone who believes business is just going to "welp, shit, oil is gone, let's stop making widgets cause we can't drive to work" has a very limited view. If all oil was gone tomorrow, man would adapt very quickly. The middle east would be fucked in the long run, but places that can grown their own food like America/Europe would be fine.

Scuzzy
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. While the problem of clean water has a lot to do with sanitation inadequacies, overpopulation has a large impact. The 2000 report from which the numbers are based, warns, "Keeping pace with a net population growth of more than a billion people over the next 15 years" will be a major problem in years to come. The report also states, "Current progress is inadequate to meet the [future water supply targets]. Something will have to change dramatically if the targets are to be met. In reality, as highlighted at the World Water Forum in The Hague, a wide range of issues would need to be resolved, and the majority of these are institutional and social, rather than technical." They go on, ". . . it is obvious that the past pace of providing improved services will be insufficient to cope with the projected population growth." Also needed to be considered is that while the raw number of people with access to clean water might go up, the percentage will go down because we cannot keep up with population growth ("almost 3 billion people will need to be served with water supply and more than 4 billion with sanitation"). The problem is twofold.

The message is clear: There is a shortage of water, whether from pollution or population, and it has global implications. Vast reforms and spending will be needed to meet the demands of growing populations, something we're not keen on doing here. And while it might be easy to simply tell people to move, it isn't that easy. And I'm willing to bet 100 to 1 that you wouldn't be fine with those people moving to your area simply in search of potable water. People are immigrating to the developed world in search of resources that are dwindling, a prospect most developed nations dread. Unfortunately, however, we do not live in world where people like you and I can just pack our stuff up and fly to the nearest place that meets our needs. Sadly, demographic entrapment exists. In fact, where industrialization can help, a lot of Africa is "dedeveloping." In places, people are forced with either population control or killing their offspring just to survive on the resources they have. But again, the problem is twofold; not only is escaping starvation and hunger not a reality for many, but we're actually exacerbating the problem through desertification, as I noted previously. Human activities are making more arid areas unsuitable for water supply and food production. Additionally, increased numbers of droughts and floods as a result of global warming only make things worse.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2007, 12:33 AM   #39
luminous

china have actually started limiting the number of children families can have to one or maybe 2 i cant remember, i think most countries should limit it to two tbh
luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2007, 12:37 AM   #40
there's nothing here
lol

Location: Halfway sprawled out of a cardboard box at the bottom of a flight of stairs.
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651ett
Hooooooly shit L2pullout or if you're too lazy or it doesn't work L2condom, neither way is expensive. Damn.
Is that the ps2 controller?
there's nothing here is offline   Reply With Quote