Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2008, 12:24 AM   #21
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Well of course you don't, but what choice have you got?

A) Sit here and complain, look like a douche.

B) Find a way to be useful and contribute to the team (money doesn't count!).

C) Shut up and roll with it. Play 2.0 and be glad we've all come this far. Make up for the game's inadequacies, help show new players how to get into the game. Teach someone something new, give helpful advice on the forums, be a good player.

I'm gonna try C.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:10 AM   #22
Klute

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Well of course you don't, but what choice have you got?

A) Sit here and complain, look like a douche.

B) Find a way to be useful and contribute to the team (money doesn't count!).

C) Shut up and roll with it. Play 2.0 and be glad we've all come this far. Make up for the game's inadequacies, help show new players how to get into the game. Teach someone something new, give helpful advice on the forums, be a good player.

I'm gonna try C.
The servers are damn near empty, pickups are becoming rare. New players are non existent, there is no one to help. We are trying to do something while the game still has some sort of a player base as many are dropping from what I have seen.
The only constructive post was Hammocks in regards to some form of a prize awarded tournament.
Klute is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 02:48 AM   #23
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
correct. this is just like when we were stuck with 1.0, and the servers were massivly being emptied and stuff. everyone was like "ff is dead, who cares about it" then 1.1, 1.11, and then defintaly with 2.0, it was revived. 2.0 was the most players on FF since 1.0. We have to keep trying.

(i wish we had as much people on 2.0 as we did on when we first released.)
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 AM   #24
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

We've been waiting...for 8 months or so now...forgive me for not being more patient for a mod to take off after 8 months.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #25
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klute
The servers are damn near empty, pickups are becoming rare. New players are non existent, there is no one to help. We are trying to do something while the game still has some sort of a player base as many are dropping from what I have seen.
Yesterday I played a few rounds of FF.

There were two new players on the server. One of them said so, and another player said that he could offer some help.

You know what that experienced player did? He gave his Steam Friends Username so they could be way more easily in contact.

I know you are being dramatic, but there are new players and there is people willing to help.
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #26
Klute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11
Yesterday I played a few rounds of FF.

There were two new players on the server. One of them said so, and another player said that he could offer some help.

You know what that experienced player did? He gave his Steam Friends Username so they could be way more easily in contact.

I know you are being dramatic, but there are new players and there is people willing to help.
So, you feel the current state of players is more than it was a few months ago, that new players are joining all the time, and your confident enough to state that in a thread that is about doing something to attract new players and keep the ones we have?
Confident enough to just sit back, and do nothing except help the influx of new players joining each day?
You feel that a tournament is totally unnecessary, feeling strongly enough to not only derail a thread that could possibly start one, but state it with out any positive input on the threads subject.
Interesting.

btw,I can honestly say I am not being dramatic. That I play this game exclusively many hours per week. More so than just a "few" rounds yesterday. In fact I play several hours per day. Dramatic? No. Honest? Yes.

Last edited by Klute; 04-24-2008 at 12:36 PM.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #27
BlisTer
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Raising money to hire a modeller/animator might be a good idea though, we hired one when i was in the HL2 Brutal mod team, some of the animators out there are awesome.

But tbh current animations arent that bad and improving them won't give us sustainability.
Likewise a compo with a prize will only keep the current clans playing more, it won't attract new ppl.

The only way to go, imo, is finish the training map, release 2.1 and advertise the hell out of it through steamnews. The only thing we can do is welcome the new ppl with open arms and help them in the best way possible. If we're lucky we can hold on to a "critical mass" amount of players to get leagues going etc.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #28
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
^Yes. Honestly, i think the animation & model issue is exaggerated on the forums. Playabality for new players needs to be worked on, 2fort needs to be released (ideally rock2, badlands, casbah, warpath as well?), and a training/help mode included, as well as referencing the excellent wiki in-game. Couple that with an ad campaign, funded by volunteer forum members, which shows off FF's attractive sides - speed, teamplay, depth, speed - and we can turn this ship around. The announcement of a cash prize for league play should go hand in hand with a release and would be icing on the cake.

/la-la-land

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #29
=AS= Pt

Cheerz to BANANA HAMMOCK...

Great idea. At least it would be something. I like the idea of a world league because in europe there arent much clans, but the few we have are getting games pretty often.

I like the idea of a price money league with a admin to control the cheating.

As for Circuitus, you cant expect that the community know that information.

Regards
=AS= Pt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #30
Gator-
FF God

Class/Position: Scout O, Medic O, Demo D/O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF 4v4
Affiliations: [milkwood] ( GoodFellas )
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to Gator- Send a message via MSN to Gator- Send a message via Yahoo to Gator-
wait, leagues = money? = in ff?

interesting...I might actually continue playing this game then

/me assembles the Goodfellas.
Gator- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #31
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
Quote:
So, you feel the current state of players is more than it was a few months ago, that new players are joining all the time, and your confident enough to state that in a thread that is about doing something to attract new players and keep the ones we have?
I don't know if the playerbase is rising, falling or staying. I just made you notice that even in with the near to zero FF advertisement, there are new players. Not 50 every single day, but they get there.
Quote:
Confident enough to just sit back, and do nothing except help the influx of new players joining each day?
You feel that a tournament is totally unnecessary, feeling strongly enough to not only derail a thread that could possibly start one, but state it with out any positive input on the threads subject.
Interesting.
Yes, I said that a tournament is unnecesary, a waste of time and money and totally improductive, and that it will make FF meet it's doom. If you can find those words or anything similar in my previous post, then you sure have an extraordinary power, because I never wrote that, not even thought it. I didn't even mention the word "tournament", "money" or "unnecesary".
Quote:
btw,I can honestly say I am not being dramatic. That I play this game exclusively many hours per week. More so than just a "few" rounds yesterday. In fact I play several hours per day. Dramatic? No. Honest? Yes.
No, you were dramatic. You can't state that there are not new players if there are, even if it's two players. Also, just so you know, I don't have enough time to play FF several hours per day, because my free time is at the mornings GMT+1 (when the servers are empty) and I arrive home at around 9:30-10:30 PM, which leaves me little time to play any game since I get up every day at 8:00 AM. But I can tell you that almost every single hour I've got I dedicate it to either play FF, wander around the FF forums or trying to create maps for FF with little success.

I didn't never, ever said that a tournament is useless. Anything that helps the game is the way to go. I just pointed out that you were being overly dramatic about the new players trying FF, and you just went all throttle assuming I said something I didn't.

To make things clear:
Code:
I, known in-game as Firefox11^FtN, support any kind of activity or advertisement
that can help the Half-Life 2 Modification formerly known as Fortress Forever.

Signed,
Firefox11
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #32
Klute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11
I don't know if the playerbase is rising, falling or staying...

To make things clear:
Code:
I, known in-game as Firefox11^FtN, support any kind of activity or advertisement
that can help the Half-Life 2 Modification formerly known as Fortress Forever.

Signed,
Firefox11

There, and I just made you admit to not being able to provide a fair and sound assessment of the player base for FF and commit to making the topic of this thread a success.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #33
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
I'm not sure if this thread is on topic or not anymore.

During my playing over the past 2 weeks I can think of 3 new guys that vocally announced that they were new to this mod. 2 of them over mic, said they loved the game think it's awesome. One over text who seemed to be experimenting with different classes, never really commented on his like/dislike of the game.

But that's 3 I counted in the past 2 weeks.

It seems many people actually like this idea, which is great news. Now all we'd have to do is act on it insead of twiddling our thumbs like we have with the majority of other ideas.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #34
richard nixon

I doubt this would bring new people (other than maybe TFC clanners and such). And if it did I think the slight boost in the player base would dwindle just as it has in the past.

If it does then that's a good thing. But I'd rather the money be donated to the team so they can afford to take time away and invest some decent sit-down work at the game.

But even then I'm skeptical. Because mods such as INS, Zombie Panic: Source, Zombie Master, Dystopia, and even Battlegrounds 2 are doing better (some better than others) and most of those are very old and have balance & performance issues as well as not so great graphics or overall polish.

For some reason I just think it's the type of game play (not solely related to balance issues) or maybe the players that are really good that are bringing the game down. Not to mention I'm sure TF2 has something to do with it. Wonder what will happen to those Zombie mods when Left 4 Dead comes out...
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #35
Hammock
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard nixon
If it does then that's a good thing. But I'd rather the money be donated to the team so they can afford to take time away and invest some decent sit-down work at the game.
You miss the point, FF dev's aren't taking donations first of all. 2ndly this would be a buy in price for people to have a chance to win money.

The only reason why I thought of it is because of my experiences playing Everquest. I'm sure anyone who's really dove deap into an MMORPG can understand where i'm coming from.

The possibility to make money online playing/doing something you like to do is a huge draw.

Ebay and Everquest became mutual friends (even though sony faught ebay every step of the way). If an MMO would just stop the useless fight against people's desires to make money playing their game and actually embraced it by implimenting a safe secure way of expending real life money in game.. I think you would see an MMO flourish to the top very quickly (as long as the game was still well designed).

Old 04-24-2008, 10:44 PM   #36
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
I don't like it anymore than you do, but I can keep quiet.
As can I by not being interested in the game anymore.

Truth is, lack of updates is what is killing the game. Rather, lack of updates to fix the problems the other updates have caused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
If an MMO would just stop the useless fight against people's desires to make money playing their game and actually embraced it by implimenting a safe secure way of expending real life money in game.. I think you would see an MMO flourish to the top very quickly (as long as the game was still well designed).
EQ2 did this. It did not work with EQ2.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #37
Hammock
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
EQ2 did this. It did not work with EQ2.
EQ2 Was very poorly designed. It was a terrible sequel compared to the Original everquest. EQ2 was never really a big success.

I could see it working for WoW though. The company would have to keep their fingers off the money transactions. If they started charging people to trade money in game they'll just keep using ebay and say F-U to the company. But if they allowed for free money transactions through their game and let the people set their own marke prices, it could in theory work.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:02 PM   #38
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
As can I by not being interested in the game anymore.

Truth is, lack of updates is what is killing the game. Rather, lack of updates to fix the problems the other updates have caused..
Yeah, I know. What, exactly, can we do about it?

You really want to just fill the forums full of UPDATES PLZ posts while the devs are all busy elsewhere, unable to even see it?

If you're gonna quit the game because there aren't any updates, do it. Complaining won't make it happen any faster.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #39
Green Mushy
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via AIM to Green Mushy
We would need really experienced and knowledgeable admins watching the cash tourneys, or i wouldnt really feel safe playing in them. Im also concerned about how the word of cash tourneys would get out.

Ive always thought that even if the word about FF got out, and tons of people played it, tons of people would still quit. The game is very complex, and people dont really play it right off the bat and they feel like "wtf is going on, i like cs better."

Maps that are good for pubbing is almost more important then publicity i think. We lose new people regularly because they play on a bad map/pub and think the game stinks. Ive seen it happen to a plethora of my friends. They still say it sucks. Wtf do they know, they played it for like 10 minutes.
Green Mushy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #40
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
EQ2 Was very poorly designed. It was a terrible sequel compared to the Original everquest. EQ2 was never really a big success.
The reason it wasn't a really big success isn't because it was poorly designed. It was designed very well. In fact, it was more like EQ than Vanguard was and Vanguard was designed by the guy who made EQ+Kunark+Velious. He also tried to design it like EQ+Kunark+Velious.

The reason it wasn't a big success is because they embraced stuff like that. The instant they added that is the instant they lost some 3,000 subs.

Quote:
Yeah, I know. What, exactly, can we do about it?

You really want to just fill the forums full of UPDATES PLZ posts while the devs are all busy elsewhere, unable to even see it?

If you're gonna quit the game because there aren't any updates, do it. Complaining won't make it happen any faster.
What can we do about it?

A fuck ton, but it's ALL up to the devs.

2.1 needs to be a balance patch. A quick and simple balance patch that should have, at the most, taken a month to churn out. The devs should, at the very least, make a thread that does the following:

1. Starts a thread on what 2.1 will address.

2. Have people go out and test these settings (99% of the things that need to be addressed can be done in game with sv_cheats).

3. Have people report back what they thought about the various settings.

4. Rinse and repeat for about 2 weeks.

5. Change code. No need for tweaking as it's been done prior.

6. One day beta to check for any glaring issues.

7. Release patch.

It really is that simple. The game doesn't need new content, it needs fixed.

Until then, yeah, the forums should be filled with UPDATE PLZ threads to get the point across. If the devs don't have the time/interest in the game they need to pass the torch. Then, when they get the time/interest to do this they should come back.

I guarantee you there are hundreds of people interested in something like this to put on their resume.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote