Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
2fort only servers

When the new 2fort map comes out will there be dedicated 2fort servers?

I noticed today that dev_2fort really packed in a big player base on FF.

2fort IS the most fun as I saw today.

As soon as the server changed maps, people started dropping out.

Hope there is a dedicated 2fort only server coming soon. FF would benefit from it I think.
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Klute

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
They can say all they want, but 2fort is the single most played map there is and perfect for new players and pubbers.
Many just want to relax and enjoy a game.
Klute is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I don't think many really understand why 2fort is popular. I've seen many make the mistake of saying that the map is good, but this isn't correct.

It's average in all areas. This is why it appeals to everyone. It's got a hand full of basic, and easy to do concs, the defense has an easy enough time, snipers can snipe decently... it's just an average map with nothing to set it apart from all the others besides being average.

This is why it is played, not because of it's incredible design, flow, and play style... but because it's simply average.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
=AS= Pt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
I don't think many really understand why 2fort is popular. I've seen many make the mistake of saying that the map is good, but this isn't correct.

It's average in all areas. This is why it appeals to everyone. It's got a hand full of basic, and easy to do concs, the defense has an easy enough time, snipers can snipe decently... it's just an average map with nothing to set it apart from all the others besides being average.

This is why it is played, not because of it's incredible design, flow, and play style... but because it's simply average.

And what is your point?

If you want you do a map with a incredible design, flow and play style (what ever you mean by that!!!) and put it in 24/7 against a 24/7 2fort. 2fort server will still have 10 times the player, inspite your incredible map design. Maybe all the people that are waiting for 2fort are wrong and you are right. Maybe what will get a good player base arent maps that are easy and fun to play, but maps with 3 concs design that can only be played by pros... Or maybe not. What says what a good map is, is the number of players that play them and love it. And 2fort is one of the best maps you will find.

If average is what makes a map great (and i mean great as with good player base on it), then we need more average plain vanilla maps.

People know why they love or not 2fort, and yes, it has a great design, a good flow and goes ahead of the majority of maps in one thing...It is a excelent spammy map. HELL FF AND TFC ARE GREAT SPAMM GAMES. Skill? YES. Spamm? YES. Spamm with skill? omg YES! Or isnt 2fort one of the best spammy maps you have ever seen?

There you go why 2fort is so popular... by the same thing TFC was...IT IS SPAMMY ALL THE WAY. Small, narow, with respawns well placed whit grens...SPAMM, SPAMM, SPAMM...is that leet? Maybe not, but are all FF players leets? no, so 2fort is great.

Hasta
=AS= Pt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Credge what you're really saying is that the map is perfectly balanced among all classes and all players.

I think the only distaste it recieves is based on a lack of visual creativity, vets not wanting to play with noobs, and the few people who don't love it end up hating it because it's ALWAYS playing somewhere.

You gotta step back from those critiques. The map really is perfectly balanced and that's saying a lot in this world. It's small, simple, and mirror image perfect. That doesn't make it amazing or worth intense praise, but it does make it worth a little bit of respect.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Meh. I think 2fort is bland and unapealing. Mostly because nobody's server is drippy's.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 01:07 AM   #7
Hirohito
The last true Emperor
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
What's wrong with that? It has something for everybody; newbies, concjumpers, Spies, HWGuys, and everybody else. A map doesn't have to be fun only when you've put in 20+ hours of training into it.
Hirohito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 02:01 AM   #8
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
People like what they are used to. Which is why the majority of CTF maps are 2fort clones.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:38 AM   #9
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
I like the Dev 2fort map though its not my favorite map.

I wouldn't mind it being a bit bigger, not a whole lot, but a little and it needs no build stuff in the spawns, we had an idiot in there today blocking the door.

I also wouldn't mind a ladder or 2 hanging off the bridge to get out just in case you fall into the water.

Either way its a pretty even map no matter what class you are.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 03:20 AM   #10
battery
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife
Credge what you're really saying is that the map is perfectly balanced among all classes and all players.

I think the only distaste it recieves is based on a lack of visual creativity, vets not wanting to play with noobs, and the few people who don't love it end up hating it because it's ALWAYS playing somewhere.

You gotta step back from those critiques. The map really is perfectly balanced and that's saying a lot in this world. It's small, simple, and mirror image perfect. That doesn't make it amazing or worth intense praise, but it does make it worth a little bit of respect.

I don't think Credge is bashing the map. Credge simply stated the map is easy to play for every class. He uses the word "average" to describe how nothing in the map 2fort stands out. The connotation appear to be neutral. Actually, Credge's choice of word indicates he was trying to sound as neutral as he could. It is neither a criticism nor a praise. Well perhaps you and I live in totally different culture, may be being neutral is not a nice thing to do in your culture? Or perhaps you expect euphemism (like "well balanced" to replace "average") in all communiation? I don't know.
________
Vaporizer Reviews

Last edited by battery; 03-31-2011 at 11:45 AM.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 03:35 AM   #11
battery
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by =AS= Pt
And what is your point?

If you want you do a map with a incredible design, flow and play style (what ever you mean by that!!!) and put it in 24/7 against a 24/7 2fort. 2fort server will still have 10 times the player, inspite your incredible map design. Maybe all the people that are waiting for 2fort are wrong and you are right. Maybe what will get a good player base arent maps that are easy and fun to play, but maps with 3 concs design that can only be played by pros... Or maybe not. What says what a good map is, is the number of players that play them and love it. And 2fort is one of the best maps you will find.

If average is what makes a map great (and i mean great as with good player base on it), then we need more average plain vanilla maps.

People know why they love or not 2fort, and yes, it has a great design, a good flow and goes ahead of the majority of maps in one thing...It is a excelent spammy map. HELL FF AND TFC ARE GREAT SPAMM GAMES. Skill? YES. Spamm? YES. Spamm with skill? omg YES! Or isnt 2fort one of the best spammy maps you have ever seen?

There you go why 2fort is so popular... by the same thing TFC was...IT IS SPAMMY ALL THE WAY. Small, narow, with respawns well placed whit grens...SPAMM, SPAMM, SPAMM...is that leet? Maybe not, but are all FF players leets? no, so 2fort is great.

Hasta
Credge did not say whether being average is a good thing or not. I think you over-reacted.

Regarding 2fort as a spammy map, well, other maps such as dustbowl, casbah, warpath, and especially flag_run are much more spammy than 2fort. The FF2.0 map monkey is nothing but spam, imo. Compared to other maps, 2fort is quite "average" as a spammy map.

Last edited by battery; 04-14-2008 at 09:10 AM.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #12
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by battery
I don't think Credge is bashing the map. Credge simply stated the map is easy to play for every class. He uses the word "average" to describe how nothing in the map 2fort stands out. The connotation appear to be neutral. Actually, Credge's choice of word indicates he was trying to sound as neutral as he could. It is neither a criticism nor a praise. Well perhaps you and I live in totally different culture, may be being neutral is not a nice thing to do in your culture? Or perhaps you expect euphemism (like "well balanced" to replace "average") in all communiation? I don't know.
yeah I read that post by credge and the reply after and thought the same thing...I think credge was trying to be as neutral as possible and you (=AS= Pt) pretty much jumped him as if you were expecting a fight in this thread. Sometimes it's best to re-read what people have posted before you fly off the handle with a reply cause if you do you might just see that the post really wasn't all that bad in the first place.

Me, personally I hate 2fort...yes I grew up playing it and yes it's where everyone starts and yes I think for the good of the community this map needs to be made (finished), but I guarantee you wont be seeing me in that map very often. But as myers says "to each his/her own." I hate it, you love it...so just agree to disagree.

@ OP: YES, I'm sure as soon as the official ff_2fort is released you will see some 24/7 2fort servers. IDK about official one's, but maybe. I know that shock has set up a 24/7 dustbowl server so it's definitely a possibility.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #13
dys
I am the nip to your bud.

2fort is a fun map where you can let it all fly, regardless of the class you're playing. It's fast action that satisfies the urge of anyone joining.

Sometimes I play it to work on dm, sometimes for concing, sometimes work on accuracy and sometimes just to pound the crap out of people. And I'm never disappointed.
dys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #14
myersjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane
I like the Dev 2fort map though its not my favorite map.

I wouldn't mind it being a bit bigger, not a whole lot, but a little and it needs no build stuff in the spawns, we had an idiot in there today blocking the door.

I also wouldn't mind a ladder or 2 hanging off the bridge to get out just in case you fall into the water.

Either way its a pretty even map no matter what class you are.
Good point, as a tfc player, i love the tfc version of this, yes, its dated, but, its still fun. As very similar to yourself, i agree that it could be just a bit bigger. I think if the yard could be as big as the one in Blis_2fort you'd really have something there. Make the ramp room a bit larger, or perhaps highten them so its a steeper climb or conc up..like when you conc to the ele hallway from the main entrance. I suppose the only problem is that the ele shaft would have to be taller?? unless somehow you managed to raise the basement level a bit..?? Does that make sense?? Oh, i have an idea..have more water entrances in it..something like in well?? Just another thing for the D to think about??
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 05:34 PM   #15
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
yes, i liked the TFC 2fort better. I dunno, for FF, i just like Aardvark better.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
myersjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
yes, i liked the TFC 2fort better. I dunno, for FF, i just like Aardvark better.
What id really like is to figure out how the heck they conc from one platform all the way across the yard to the entrance of the enemy fort..i been trying it, guess i dont know what technique to use?? What is it..throw one down and hh the other?? or is it best to use a scout cuz he is lighter than medic and can fly farther?? I think i would prolly enjoy aardvark a whole lot more if it didnt take me twenty years to get across the yard..lol and thats with one conc..my double conc timing needs much work..

Old 04-14-2008, 06:07 PM   #17
dys
I am the nip to your bud.

One conc can do it for both, myers. It's harder as med, (the scouts conc further, distance-wise) but still possible. A lot of it is in the angle you're looking upon takeoff. No double conc necessary.

Something else to consider is maybe your air movement/strafing. It's not so much just a straight line and hold forward while you're in the air. I think that might be what's getting ya.

We need to get into a server together man!
dys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersjr
What id really like is to figure out how the heck they conc from one platform all the way across the yard to the entrance of the enemy fort..i been trying it, guess i dont know what technique to use?? What is it..throw one down and hh the other?? or is it best to use a scout cuz he is lighter than medic and can fly farther?? I think i would prolly enjoy aardvark a whole lot more if it didnt take me twenty years to get across the yard..lol and thats with one conc..my double conc timing needs much work..
it's just a handheld...jump right as it's about to go off and arch your mouse while you jump...should land you about 2 / 3 hops away from the launch pads...then just be sure you bhop when you land and you will keep that speed going up the ramp.

If you can do it right and security is down...from there prime another conc right as you land and by the time your rounding to the left off of the main ramp your 2nd conc should go off...shoots you straight into the FR and right through the flag...keep that momentum going as you round the flag room and back down the ramp and you can pretty much grab the flag and be out the front door before most demos can think to det...especially on a pub.

That's all probably pretty advanced, so for now just do a hh from the bats...keep practicing it and you'll get it.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 04-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #19
myersjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
it's just a handheld...jump right as it's about to go off and arch your mouse while you jump...should land you about 2 / 3 hops away from the launch pads...then just be sure you bhop when you land and you will keep that speed going up the ramp.

If you can do it right and security is down...from there prime another conc right as you land and by the time your rounding to the left off of the main ramp your 2nd conc should go off...shoots you straight into the FR and right through the flag...keep that momentum going as you round the flag room and back down the ramp and you can pretty much grab the flag and be out the front door before most demos can think to det...especially on a pub.

That's all probably pretty advanced, so for now just do a hh from the bats...keep practicing it and you'll get it.
Thank you sir..im going to work on that..one hh you say..neat..Arch the mouse?? Guess i dont understand that part..

Old 04-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #20
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

just move it in an arch from left to right...like if your bhopping it gives you the most height and distance from your conc when you flick the mouse like that before you jump
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF: