Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #81
Bomber
Skillet

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Hey I am the person who made this thread, and I am not fanboy of either FF or TF2, have no loyalty to either. Have both of them installed, and after a super long wait for TF2 I got something that isn't like TFC at all, maybe some cartoon game, that is it, it is so stripped down it is ridiculous.

Great GFX though!

Old 09-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #82
summit

True! However it's a great chance to balance the game - and that's usually why they let people play it because the data on a larger scale is very helpful.

I'm hoping they do change it based on issues they find.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #83
nataskaos

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I guess I don't get why they wanted to slow the game down so much.
A respawn timer?
No nades? (Not even concs)
Slower scouts and medics?

The entire fun in ANY TF game is the speed at which everything moves and attempting to stop those little bastard scouts and medics. Conc jumping and bunny hopping is an integral part of the game.

whatever. FF FTW.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #84
dieangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataskaos
I guess I don't get why they wanted to slow the game down so much.
A respawn timer?
No nades? (Not even concs)
Slower scouts and medics?
-slower respawn time for the loosing team allow to precipitate the outcome of the game.
-as for the nades in many cases they where just blurring the gameplay in my opinion (and the demo still has his GL if you want nades)
-the medic need to be able to follow an HWGuy/Pyro/Soldier in order to support them, no need to have two scout classes.

The HW gatling gun overheating is the biggest joke i've ever seen in FF, even if we consider just the suspension of disbelief (yeah a guy wielding a Gatling canon isn't exactly realistic)
Maybe i'm the only one that know this but the Gatling canon system is designed for two things:
-Shoot faster
-DO NOT Overheat!

I personally have been quite pleased by this TF2 beta, i like the look and feel, it's relaxing my eyes and the players really stand out from the background.

The new medic is really interesting and re balance the game and put back the scout at the position of flag capper/runner. Wich wasn't the medic job (yeah , remember medic is supposed to be a support class)

If you've been plowing into the audio commentaries it seems they have been asking themselve a lot of questions and made a lot of decisions to make TF2 more "competition oriented", now matches have a finite time (wich isn't just the map cycle time) and after this time , one team win and another lose. This is great for tournaments as we can foresee the length of each match.

To me valve took TFC and scraped from it the little "tricks" that where unbalancing the classes. They also made the combat cleaner (no more grenade spam) .

I've played FF a bit, it looks nice, it feels nice, there is a few bugs here and there and that's okay. But for me it got designed mainly for the "leet" tfc players that will use the little tricks to get an edge on the newbies.

I prefere TF2 because everybody has the same tools and knowledges and the winning team will be organised and able to adapt and anticipate their enemy, rather than being based on who can perform this or that twitch skill.

-pvp in a mmorpg: the one with the best tools and inner knowledges of the rules win.
-chess: the one that can foresee his opponent moves while having the exact same tools available win.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #85
Torn
Wootski

For all those who knocked the cartoonish look, you were wrong! It pwns. Though FF gameplay will be much better with a few tweaks.. mabye even steal the ability for medics to heal at a distance and for disps to give ammo etc. very nice ideas (even though we thought of them so many years ago).

Old 09-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #86
Jifcuits

had a wee go on it this morning, I quite like it but I think I'll play more fortress forever for now. TF2 will likely grow on me though.
What the hell did they do to well? Seriously, don't call that well call it something else. I'm sure the community will make a ctf_well.
What happened to the demo's mirv or am i missing something?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #87
NapalmDeath

I played TF2 on a friends computer for a few hours and afterwards I was happy I didn't pre-order it.

I originally didn't like the direction they took TF2 in when I saw the screens and videos but I tried not to let that effect my opinion of the gameplay. I could go into a million diffrent little reasons why I didn't like TF2 but the bottom line of it all was it just plain wasn't fun. I'll give them props for trying something diffrent and trying to distance this game from TFC but sometimes it's better to just stick with what you know works and improve that. Aside from the graphics and a few little changes, there wasn't much in the beta that I couldn't do in FF and have more fun doing it. I don't know I guess some people will enjoy TF2 more, and if so, more power to you but I just don't beleive some of the changes they've made suit the playstyle of a game like this.

Was it worth the wait for me? "No." would be such a laughable understatement .....

Old 09-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #88
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn
for disps to give ammo etc.
Uh, dispensers in FF do give ammo. I heard that TF2's dispensers also give out health, but I would need someone with the game to confirm that.

Does the dispenser still do the whole "Enemies are using your dispenser! / detdispenser" thing?

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #89
Rikta

1 word comes 2 mind

shit.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #90
benjpac

I played TFC for like 5 years and I was in top clans.. did all the big leagues and all that shit.. it was badass and I still appreciate that game... however most people are ready for something new and fortress forever feels like a shittier version tfc to me..

TF2 feels great, it's a new game with a lot of the same great feel of tfc. I like not having grenades because a lot of TFC was just spamming which takes very little skill (although still kinda fun ill admit :P). It looks a hell of a lot better than FF and plays more smoothly. I think most of the FF fanboys went into TF2 with a negative attitude... once things settle down between the two games I think FF will be about as popular as Q3F and TF2 will be as popular as TFC was.

mark my words...

Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #91
Thief
Super SPY

Send a message via AIM to Thief
thanks for the thread, I was about to buy orange box

Old 09-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #92
incognito

TF2, eh?

I did not like TF2 very much. It's not because it was a bad game, but because I already had a game on steam that played like it, and it was called Day of Defeat. if you think I'm crazy, try playing dust bowl and tell me it does not feel the same as playing a point control map on DoD.

I always loved TFC because of the fast pace game play, and after striping our the armor, nades, and speeds, (The pyro does not move as fast as he does in FF or TFC), the game feels slower. is it more team oreanted? Maybe, but it does not feel any more team oranted then when someone needs to sneak into another base to disable an SG, or when an engineer needs to toss an EMP at a stack of pipe bombs.

There are a lot of neat features, such as getting a nemesis after being killed too many times, but THATS not why I play fortress games, I enjoy the fast pace and total mayhem that goes on, and thats something I don't see in TF2.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #93
incognito

I already posted this in another thread, but it seems appropriate here as well...

I did not like TF2 very much. It's not because it was a bad game, but because I already had a game on steam that played like it, and it was called Day of Defeat. If you think I'm crazy, try playing dust bowl and tell me it does not feel the same as playing a point control map on DoD.

I always loved TFC because of the fast pace game play, and after striping out the armor, nades, and speeds, (The pyro does not move as fast as he does in FF or TFC), the game feels slower. Is it more team oriented? Maybe, but it does not feel any more team oriented then when someone needs to sneak into another base to disable an SG, or when an engineer needs to toss an EMP at a stack of pipe bombs.

There are a lot of neat features, such as getting a nemesis after being killed too many times, but THATS not why I play fortress games, I enjoy the fast pace and total mayhem that goes on, and thats something I don't see in TF2.

Last edited by incognito; 09-18-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #94
barronofhellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthraxium[WU]
only took me an hour to realize that FF is the shiznit
i even sort of gatherd it in the 1st 10 mins

Old 09-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #95
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i cant help but feel valve have just repackaged DoD, as incognito said.

that said, the graphics are awesome. lets just hope a new game is around the corner with similar graphics, but a bit more depth to the gameplay.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #96
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
ok, you know they were talking about promoting 2 man teamplay? so besides the medic/HW teamplay bonuses, what others exist?

Old 09-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #97
Tarron

does anyone else feel that tf2 has a worms/team 17 appeal to it?

Old 09-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #98
Bomber
Skillet

Anybody else getting freezing and crashes in TF2 every 30 seconds? Took me 10 min to play as every class, can't wait to play FF tonight, I can't believe I was so excited to play TF2 no nades and conc ruin it, it sucks pretty much!

Big thanks to FF for making a good mod I can look forward to playing!

Old 09-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #99
dieangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber
Anybody else getting freezing and crashes in TF2 every 30 seconds? Took me 10 min to play as every class, can't wait to play FF tonight, I can't believe I was so excited to play TF2 no nades and conc ruin it, it sucks pretty much!

Big thanks to FF for making a good mod I can look forward to playing!
concs are more like a bug anyway.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #100
benjpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief
thanks for the thread, I was about to buy orange box
Thief I don't think the FF forums are the best place to get opinions on TF2. I think TF2 is a lot better than FF and I'm very experienced in the team fortress scene (being in many top clans when the games were at their peak). I think TF2 has a lot more potential than FF because it's so uniquely different. It looks a lot better, it plays a lot smoother... and for once the game isn't so reliant on spamming. Removing grenades should be seen as a good thing because they took very little skill to master (other than the conc jumps) and the other changes in TF2 just make it better (a medic that actually heals? strange concept)... dispensers that can heal, demoman is the only class that can really spam, soldiers are by far the best at dealing with SGs, scouts are by far the fastest class... the list goes on...

This game has potential... we don't need a TFC clone we need a new game that will keep us as busy as TFC did... FF will be as successful as Q3f... only the diehard players that cannot move on to a new game will stick around for it... the rest will be playing TF2 (which will be the vast majority IMHO).

Closed Thread