Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
o_jblade

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
How about using "Portals" Portal System

I know the trailer is not released yet, but I am sure alot of you have seen the videos of Portal. If not check out youtube, or the xbox website for the HD trailer. Anyways, what do you guys think about having the "Portal" portal system. Where instead of it being like a light/ or a wall that you run into, that you can see whats on the other side. I mean if you think about it, in a portal light would be transfered anyways, so it makes sense. Personally I think this would be very cool addition, although it is not likely as 1. Portal might be based off a different source engine. 2. Too much extra work for the devs.
o_jblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
o_dancingfool

3. That would rape the gameplay more than Michael Jackson, his horse, and a little boy at Neverland Ranch.
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2006, 10:36 PM   #3
o_frenchtoast

That screams TF at me.

Remember the teleporter fiasco? Think about it...
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblade
I know the trailer is not released yet, but I am sure alot of you have seen the videos of Portal. If not check out youtube, or the xbox website for the HD trailer. Anyways, what do you guys think about having the "Portal" portal system. Where instead of it being like a light/ or a wall that you run into, that you can see whats on the other side. I mean if you think about it, in a portal light would be transfered anyways, so it makes sense. Personally I think this would be very cool addition, although it is not likely as 1. Portal might be based off a different source engine. 2. Too much extra work for the devs.
From the title I thought you were suggesting letting someone build Portal-like teleporters. That would've earned you a beating.

HOWEVER! The idea of having in-game portals simply appear as pathways to the area they connect to, sounds very cool. I don't see how it'd rape the gameplay at all if it were used in maps with existing portals only.

What "different" source engine could Portal be based on?

Old 07-24-2006, 11:44 PM   #5
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
From the title I thought you were suggesting letting someone build Portal-like teleporters. That would've earned you a beating.

HOWEVER! The idea of having in-game portals simply appear as pathways to the area they connect to, sounds very cool. I don't see how it'd rape the gameplay at all if it were used in maps with existing portals only.

What "different" source engine could Portal be based on?
its gotta be a new addition to the engine, i dont think the ability to see whats on the other side (essentially linking 2 spots like a real portal) was ever ingame before. With that engine mod you could make a hall that goes on forever by continuiskly looping it. you also would always see copys of yourself in the disance though :P and rockets you shoot would keep goin past you, but you get the point :P i dont think it was ingame ;P
o_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2006, 11:59 PM   #6
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
It'd be an addition to the Source engine but it's not a new or different Source engine.

In the recent dev journal the trepids mentioned wanting Portal-esque portals for Hunted. Good sign?

Old 07-25-2006, 12:01 AM   #7
o_dancingfool

They're just making it even harder for my most favorite class of all, the civilian. *sigh*
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 02:42 AM   #8
o_nezumi

I've been waiting for portals to reappear in games like this for a long time. I really hope that, at least at some point in the future, we can use them in maps. I've already got some kickass ideas...

The source engine sure is expandable. First HDR, then relief mapping (although this wasn't done by valve) then motion blur, depth of field and portals. What's next? A particle engine? Ray-trace rendering?
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 02:53 AM   #9
o_shadow34721

Quote:
I've been waiting for portals to reappear in games like this for a long time. I really hope that, at least at some point in the future, we can use them in maps. I've already got some kickass ideas...

The source engine sure is expandable. First HDR, then relief mapping (although this wasn't done by valve) then motion blur, depth of field and portals. What's next? A particle engine? Ray-trace rendering?
isnt tf2 supposed to implement dynamic shadows?
o_shadow34721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 02:57 AM   #10
o_yoda891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaskar
its gotta be a new addition to the engine, i dont think the ability to see whats on the other side (essentially linking 2 spots like a real portal) was ever ingame before. With that engine mod you could make a hall that goes on forever by continuiskly looping it. you also would always see copys of yourself in the disance though :P and rockets you shoot would keep goin past you, but you get the point :P i dont think it was ingame ;P
Actually, I've seen a video of pretty much everything portal's portals have in GMod, with the same gameplay possibilities, and the look.

EDIT: Found one, http://youtube.com/watch?v=7JzXE3_T-...=gmod%20portal
o_yoda891 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 03:11 AM   #11
o_zaskar

the next big benchmark a new physics engine will have to overcome is density. If they add that objects can have true weight and properties, also you can add acual gasses and liquids (imagine water that can fill a container without having to define the walls of the liquid. shoot a hole in the side and it drains out, etc.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:15 AM   #12
o_alligator

edit: making a new thread

Last edited by o_alligator; 07-25-2006 at 03:31 AM.
o_alligator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 04:18 AM   #13
o_nezumi

I've always thought that someone has to get around to real-time fluid dynamics eventually.

Then again, people can't even animate water in non-real-time worth crap so I'm not holding my breath.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 04:29 AM   #14
o_kam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_...e_Technologies
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 11:08 AM   #15
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
I've always thought that someone has to get around to real-time fluid dynamics eventually.

Then again, people can't even animate water in non-real-time worth crap so I'm not holding my breath.
Thats just it though, it would eliminate the need to animate water , just add in a lvl of wind and all objects of approperiate density will move (watter will have slight waves, fog/smoke will drift, lower mass solid objects will go twards the direction of the windever so slightly when kicked up in the air (shot at. grenade casualtie, etc :P)

Old 07-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #16
o_ghost

Supposedly with directx 10 Flight Simulator X is supposed to go from looking like...

to looking like...

o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #17
o_sobe green

I'm wondering if by theory could you create an entire map with the rooms side by side and never actually connecting but make them look like they connected with that system.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 02:41 PM   #18
o_dr zoidberg

haha you could make som pretty twisted maps with that :P

For example harry potter style maps

a tent is this big outside | |

and when you get in its like 100 times bigger inside =D
o_dr zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #19
o_the russian

the only reason Valve worked up this little Portal game is to not let a game like Prey beat it out of any market-share. Check out the Prey demo and tell me its not a rip-off.

As far as the possibilities, Prey does explore portal technology much further than what is shown in the 'Portals' preview... as you stated like harry potter, where its a small tent but a huge world inside. In prey there are tipped over boxes that lead to weird parts of the level which you can walk through, several of which can take you to the surface of a planet, minituarized inside of a glass box, and then you see your enemies come into the room and look at you as if they were giants. It truly takes it to another level and changes gameplay into something realy twisted.

ie: In MultiPrey (multiplayer) there are maps where gravity is only relevant to your personal plane, where people can regularly walk on walls and ceilings. There is no MultiPrey map that uses only one floor or plane.

I could describe to you a dozen scenes where I had to bend my own mind to figure out how some of that stuff was possible and how to approach different situations. The entire game is a lesson in physics. It is too hard to go into details about specific dynamics without the reader having first experienced it, its something you'd have to try.

... all of this... and we havnt even talked about Spiritwalking yet... /grin

In conclusion, download the demo here:

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Games...rey-Demo.shtml

And then after playing, post just how much better Valve could make Portals
o_the russian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #20
o_kam

It's not a rip off of Prey. Portal is based on this (valve hired the guys who made it more than a year ago)
http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com...culardrop.html
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote