Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2007, 02:49 AM   #121
allisvoid
what is tfc?

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fail
Where doe sit say they were meant as a counter to snipers? Any weapon works like that except the IC cannon takes time to get there and has splash. If I spam my shotgun at him I'm doing the same thing. Does make that shotgun an anti-sniper weapon? Not really. If a sniper is being dominated by IC fire then quite frankly it's due to the sniper being an inept moron not able to comprehend the act of firing his bullet and moving to another location before the IC rocket hits an hour later.
^ rofl i agree 100%
allisvoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 03:40 AM   #122
Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
First of all, the splash radius on IC rockets was insane. Even if the sniper managed to get out of the way of it, he had to practically be back in his spawn to do it. Second, because it was so big, snipers tended to get hit no matter what. If you were on their side of the bridge in 2fort they couldn't get out of range before the rocket hit (practically). Third, the fire went through walls so a lot of the time the sniper couldn't even see the rocket at all especially if he was zoomed in. 4th, the flames were more effective against snipers than any other class, as a sniper charging his gun couldn't easily move foreward to clear the flames from their vision like other clases could.

So, in conclusion, the IC is an anti-sniper weapon.
Simply no way. I refuse to believe anyone with any perceptive skills and reflexes at all could not dodge an IC rocket with ease. The splash is not incredibly large and a quick side step dodge would do the trick even if you're dodging last second.

Last edited by Fail; 03-30-2007 at 03:46 AM.
Fail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 03:41 AM   #123
Guy Incognito

Any weapon was meant as an anti-whatever-class-you're-shooting-at weapon.
If we want to play technicalities.

Last edited by Guy Incognito; 03-30-2007 at 03:47 AM.
Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 03:47 AM   #124
Fail

Should have said could NOT dodge.
Fail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 04:03 AM   #125
paranoidkirb

Class/Position: O/D Pyro
Gametype: Invade and Defend
Send a message via AIM to paranoidkirb Send a message via MSN to paranoidkirb Send a message via Yahoo to paranoidkirb Send a message via Skype™ to paranoidkirb
Anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-anti-civilian-scout-hwguy-sniper-pyro-soldier-engineer-demoman-medic-spy-sniper?
paranoidkirb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 04:06 AM   #126
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Simply no way. I refuse to believe anyone with any perceptive skills and reflexes at all could not dodge an IC rocket with ease. The splash is not incredibly large and a quick side step dodge would do the trick even if you're dodging last second.
If you see it coming sure.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 04:09 AM   #127
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
yeah as stands splash a bit too large in tfc.
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 07:48 AM   #128
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Do you possess such skills? If you, how about this: I will 1v1 you, you playing Sniper and me playing Pyro, on a server of a neutral third party, on the map 2fort. If 2fort is unsuitable for you for whatever reason, I will allow YOU to choose the map. We will demo the whole thing and post it here, and then we will see how well you do against a weapon that is "not an anti-sniper" weapon.

I will give you first choice to play against me (and I am an average Pyro at best), but if you decline then the offer shall be opened up to any decent snipers here.

In the meantime, will anyone provide a server for an hour or so so we can privately 1v1? I can call up a few friends but it would be more fun to have someone like Nez or Mervaka in spec. :3

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 AM   #129
PussyHunter
Proper bo!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=160763
PussyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #130
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Engineer or Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Send a message via AIM to SizeableSSonic Send a message via MSN to SizeableSSonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Do you possess such skills? If you, how about this: I will 1v1 you, you playing Sniper and me playing Pyro, on a server of a neutral third party, on the map 2fort. If 2fort is unsuitable for you for whatever reason, I will allow YOU to choose the map. We will demo the whole thing and post it here, and then we will see how well you do against a weapon that is "not an anti-sniper" weapon.

I will give you first choice to play against me (and I am an average Pyro at best), but if you decline then the offer shall be opened up to any decent snipers here.

In the meantime, will anyone provide a server for an hour or so so we can privately 1v1? I can call up a few friends but it would be more fun to have someone like Nez or Mervaka in spec. :3
Hey, I'll do it. I'm a fairly good sniper. Probably get owned by your IC, but I like a challange.
SizeableSSonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #131
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
The Medic earns a charge by healing players, and when that charge reaches 100%, the Medic and his team-mate can become invulnerable for ten whole seconds.
Well that is how it works.

Quote:
As an Engineer, I found myself placing teleporters to move my team-mates forwards more quickly. Turrets were built, upgraded and repaired using metal found in guns and ammo on the battlefield, and dispensers were constructed to shovel ammo and health into the needy hands of other players on my team.
I wonder, typo or truth here?

Quote:
Hopping over to the Demoman class turned it into a different game again. Turrets and teleporters were now somebody else's problem, and it was my job to load control points with pipe bombs before heading to the frontline. The Source Engine's physics capabilities allow for some interesting ways to kill people with grenades, and when the train yard you're fighting in sees more than a few speeding trains thundering through it, the sight of somebody evading your explosives only to be hit by an oncoming train is as thrilling as it is frequent. And of course, the pipe bombs I'd left back at the control point could be detonated as soon as the HUD showed it was under attack.
Could the 2 minute timer have been removed? If this is the case, then this makes the demo much like the Engy; he can be on O and somewhat defend another place, like a control point or the flag, with his pipes.

Quote:
On the next map I found my class niche as a Sniper, quickly noticing that staying zoomed in increases the power of your shots. More than a few times I killed somebody in the same instant that they killed me, resulting in the camera cutting to the cluster of gibs who'd delivered my fate. There was the occasional ragdoll Scout being blasted across the screen by a lucky grenade, and a paranoia-fuelled Spy hunt in which several innocents were mistakenly targeted.
Interesting change in the sniper mechanics... so I guess in a way this nerfs no scoping and speed sniping. ): If speed sniping is still feasible, that is.

Bah the game is sounding nice but FF will still have my heart. TF2 will likely just bear a passing interest to me.

Granted, I have to play it to be able to judge it fairly, but to me it is not Team Fortress. You can not really make a sequel of a gameplay style in my opinion.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #132
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizeableSSonic
Hey, I'll do it. I'm a fairly good sniper. Probably get owned by your IC, but I like a challange.
If he refuses then you are my pick. We will wait and see what he says and see if anyone offers up a server where we can play undisturbed.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #133
GhOsT

Quote:
Could the 2 minute timer have been removed? If this is the case, then this makes the demo much like the Engy; he can be on O and somewhat defend another place, like a control point or the flag, with his pipes.
I don't see this happening too often, at least as a dedicated strategy. Sure, you may kill 1 person at the point but usually there are more right behind em. At least when an engy builds a gun and leaves it stands a chance of killing multiple things. Also, if the pipebombs are anything like they are in TFC then they will be much more useful while on offense to DM with.

Quote:
Interesting change in the sniper mechanics... so I guess in a way this nerfs no scoping and speed sniping. ): If speed sniping is still feasible, that is.
Well, if I understand the mechanics of speedsniping then it may still be there. When someone speed snipes they are just firing with an uncharged shot, right? I just allows them to strafe around to dodge and then pop off a quick shot while hardly stopping. If I am wrong I'm sorry. I don't usually player sniper and that's just what I have gathered from reading the boards and my short time playing the class.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #134
groovyf
In the clouds

Quote:
Quote:
As an Engineer, I found myself placing teleporters to move my team-mates forwards more quickly. Turrets were built, upgraded and repaired using metal found in guns and ammo on the battlefield, and dispensers were constructed to shovel ammo and health into the needy hands of other players on my team.
I wonder, typo or truth here?
Seen it mentioned a couple of times now, that the engy's disp gives ammo and health
groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #135
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

I'll be the bait! or Meat Shield!
Hell, i'll be the medic behind fail healing him each time his head catches on fire

Old 03-30-2007, 02:02 PM   #136
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article Guy
Valve are building on over a decade of experience, and as I'm sure you've noticed, their back-catalogue of online shooters contains some of the most played games in existence. For them to get something fundamentally wrong with Team Fortress 2 would be damn near impossible

just wow...
4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #137
mistermojo
the pumps dont work

ill buy it and play it, of course, but i dont see how it could be that much fun if they removed the things that made it great (bunnyhopping, concjumping) and added almost nothing except some doublejump and more warpath maps
mistermojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 02:33 PM   #138
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Hey, atleast it's gonna be noob friendly
But eh, lets just all stick to FF

Old 03-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #139
GhOsT

The thing is, things like bunnyhopping (which I have not seen them say was removed) and concjumping were things found by the community that the creators never intended on adding as a feature. You could probably argue that they knew about concjumping from TF. However, I really don't think they expected it to become the main offensive tool used nor the range of abilities it granted. HH concing was something new found in TFC (I'm pretty sure TF just had drop concs, and it wasn't nearly as powerful as in TFC, even today).

My point is that even though they are not coming out and saying "Hey, we deliberately added the ability for scouts to double jump and trimp off of a surface" doesn't mean something like that won't exist. I will garuntee you that there will be more "skills" to learn for the more advanced players. Why? because the more advanced players in these types of games almost always find ways to push what the game can actually do. Whether it be HH conc jumping in TFC, boost jumping in UT2k4, bunnyhopping in Quake, etc.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #140
PsYcNeT
Black Chancellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr0c0dile
Haha people are ridiculous.
What are the things most talked about over the last few years for why TFC was no longer growing or isn't more popular.
Oh it is very noob unfriendly! Yes that is the general consensus. If only there was a way to teach new players about bunnyhopping and concjumping etc etc the masses cried. Then they would understand and love the game.
TF2 comes with a system to teach new players about the game, and now the same people say "WTF that game is too noob friendly vavle isn't making the game for us experts!"
Well wouldn't the most logical solution be to add a tip/hint system to teach features to new users (like FF is doing) instead of dumbing down or crippling the game mechanics?

Perhaps some of us just expect innovation rather than mediocrity
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote