Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 07-14-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
o_puppychow

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Ok WTF is going on in the middle east?

WWI started over less shit than this.

I wish I knew more history about the whole conflict - I don't. But its starting to get a touch scary. Oil also hit a new record high today during trading.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 04:54 AM   #2
o_backstaber

Well, Hamas in Gaza attacked Israeli soldiers and captured one. This is an act of war. Israel demand soldier is returned, Hamas refuses, Israel invades southern Gaza to save the soldier.

Northern Gaza is invaded to put more pressure on Hamas to free the Israeli solder. Hamas still refuses.

Hezbollah, a terrorist group being funded and housed in Lebanon attacks an outpost in Northern Israel. Another Act of war as there are Hezbollah representatives in teh Labanese goverment. Israel goes in to save comrads.

Thats basically whats going on right now.
o_backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 04:56 AM   #3
o_puppychow

i mean the history of the conflict. i had an understanding of current events of the past week...i just wish i knew more about the last 100 years with this shit.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 05:00 AM   #4
o_yomamashouse

I grow tired of hearing about these things. The people in the Middle East and from what i hear as well South America are having a hard time evolving with the rest of us. All the First world nations need to build up their armed forces and just sweep the world free of people like the Guerillas in the South and the people in the Middle East who are behind stuff like this. It wont be pretty for the time but it is safe to say they wont be missed by anyone who is important.
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 05:06 AM   #5
o_shadow34721

youre 14 right? or was it 15?
o_shadow34721 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 05:24 AM   #6
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I think he's the 17-year-old one. Maybe 16.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:30 AM   #7
o_yomamashouse

Puppychow, knowing the history and earlier causes would only make it worse for you because it would seem so stupid.

Edit : O ya and im 17 biatches. I dont see how it matters because a few people(you know who you are) have run that type of argument into the ground already by always bringing it up.

Edit again : 1 more post till the big 1000! better make it even more awesome than every other post of mine.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:53 AM   #8
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Heh, go around deleting your own posts so it stays at 999 forever.

As for the shit in the Middle East, I don't believe it will calm down until the demand for oil drops off the market, which will take a few decades. Once that happens, their economies go bankrupt, revolution sprouts like wildfire, and they go back to killing each other for goats and wives. Isreal is stuck right in the middle off all that, trying to give their people a chance at a decent modern life while at the same time keeping ever vigilant. Every one of their neighbors would be perfectly content to kill the "Zionists" off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppychow
WWI started over less shit than this.
Yeah, it did, but because no side wanted to back down and they all had the firepower to back their shit up.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 06:21 AM   #9
o_lithium

I hope MESCALITO is alright.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 06:33 AM   #10
o_backstaber

Well, if your talking about the past 100 years. Lets say it began with the occupation of Palestine by the British right after World War 1, when the Ottman Empire was broken up and divided between the French and British.

The British where given the responsibility of administration of the Mandate of Palestine. Which included, "secure the establishment of the Jewish national home". This caused a lot of controversy between the British and the Palestinians. Since there was much anti-Semitism in Europe in the 19 and 20th centries. Jewish immigration from Europe was very large. This of course created much Arab resentment. To stiffle this, they set bans on immigration on Jews.

Palestinian leadership began to incite violence upon the Jewish immigrants, which lead to attacks on the Jewish community. This incitement was cause by the fact that Jewish immigrants came from lands where there was land ownership. In Palestine the people did not nessisarily own the land. But could own thing on the land like tree's. When Jewish immigrants moved to buy the land, it evicted many Palestinians. This also lead to many misunderstandings between both. Which inevitibly lead to conflicts.

But it was Arab attacks on Jewish communities that started the first signs of a Jewish state forming when a Jewish paramilitary organization was formed in June 1920. Tensions increased though the 20's and into the 30's where groups of both Arab and Jewish groups where labeled as "terrorists" by the British goverment.

In 1937, the Peel Commision opted for a partition between Jewish and Arab areas, it was rejected by both groups.
But from 1936 to 1939, there was a high sense of Nationalism among the Arab population in Palestine. They staged non-violent protests againt the Jewish immigration, but also resorted to violance in several areas. Ironically, the Arab attacks actully killed more fellow Arabs then Jews, then useing the revolt as an excuse to settle accounts with rival clans. The Jewish community responded with their own acts of violance in retaliation to the Arab attacks.
It was not untill the Britsh interveened useing severe measures against both.

It was during World War II and after where the flood of the Jewish population from Germany and other Europene countries was teh greatest, but the Arab hatred of the Jewish only increased. Many Arabs wanted the Axis powers to win so that they could take back their country from the "Zionists." When the war was over, the British still refused to lift the ban on immigration on Jews. This actully led to attacks from Jews on the British. An attack on the Britsh Admininistration headquarters killed 92 people. After this the British annouced that they would terminatetheir mandate in Palestine and would withdraw by May 1948.

In 1947, the UN set up a plan to split the territory between the Jews and Arabs, then making Jerusalem and International zone. The idea was widely accepted by the UN UNSCOP (United Nations Special Committee on Palestine) and was to go in effect when the British had fully withdrawn.

But both Jews and Arabs rejected this proposal. But on the date of British withdrawl the Jewish provisional goverment declared the formation of the State of Israel, and that anyone within it's boarders, Arab, Jewish, Bedouin or Druze would be granted full civil rights.

The declaration stated:

"We appeal ... to the Arab inhabitants of the State of Israel to preserve peace and participate in the upbuilding of the State on the basis of full and equal citizenship and due representation in all its provisional and permanent institutions. "

Unfortunatly this isn't what happened. Following the establishment of Israel, the armies of Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Iraq joined in a fight against the creation of Israel in what became the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. Most of the armies where stopped at Israels boarders and the fighting did not end untill 1949. Jordan held an area called the West Bank, and Egypt had control over a small strip which was to be called the Gaza Strip.

After the war ended, Palestinians fled from Israel or where forced out. The estimated count ranged from 600,00 to 900,000 refugees. Immigration of Holocaust survivors and Jewish refugees from Arab lands basically doubled Israel's population within a year of it's independence. Over the following decade, approximately 600,000 Mizrahi Jews migrated to Israel. They were expelled from surrounding Arab countries and Iran.

Now that is basically the early history of what we have today. I put it into the most summarized way I could. Hope it isn't too long.

That spans from 1918 to 1949.

Wow, I just realized how fricken long it is!
o_backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 07:06 AM   #11
o_etzell

..."It looks like we may be out of luck/
Tomorrow night, we're pretty fucked!"
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 07:54 AM   #12
o_theres *nothing* here

WAR AGAINST TERRORISM

edit: *Bursts out laughing* BAAHAHAAAHAHAHAA! God damn, I crack mahself up.
o_theres *nothing* here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #13
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
to be honest, i just wish the ottoman empire was still about. shame we defeated it in WW1 :/ opened up a whole new can of worms

Old 07-14-2006, 10:44 AM   #14
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy Chow
Ok WTF is going on in the middle east?
Hezbollah have kidnapped two Israeli soldiers. Israel is committing the war crime of collective punishment in a massive overreaction to the kidnapping of its soldiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstaber
Hezbollah, a terrorist group being funded and housed in Lebanon attacks an outpost in Northern Israel. Another Act of war as there are Hezbollah representatives in teh Labanese goverment. Israel goes in to save comrads.
Dropping 500 pound bombs on civilians is going to save those soldiers how?

Last edited by o_ekim; 07-14-2006 at 10:57 AM.
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #15
o_rifle

How about we let Hezbollah and all thosen other countrys over thier fight a war them self then we don't have to fight it.
o_rifle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 01:08 PM   #16
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
yeah, because its a war between countries...

Old 07-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #17
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

I'm all for Israel kicking the crap out of Hezbollah and Hamas. It's about damned time.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 01:59 PM   #18
o_drtom

why cant we all just get along
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #19
o_yomamashouse

We will all get along fine when the people who dont get along have been blown to bits.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #20
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMamasHouse
We will all get along fine when the people who dont get along have been blown to bits.
Woah. I did not expect such a comment from you.

Playing Devils Advocate for the moment who decides what constitutes "not getting along" that warrants death?
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote