Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Tips and Tutorials

Old 03-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
Zalador

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Script request: conc

hey guys! could someone create a script that automatically makes you jump after holding the grenade sometime? like if the script triggers a timer with the button G, it will wait some time, and at last, it makes you jump, thereby getting blasted a good distance by the conc. so you get balanced jumps every time.
this is mainly because i suck at concing, and would be pretty useful to me
Zalador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
many ppl would say that's a cheat. my personal opinion is that it's not a cheat, but that you're going to be an awful lot better at the game and you'll enjoy it a lot more if you learn to conc well yourself. this is because: firstly, the skill of conc jumping is awesome fun to learn is so deep that you can always go further/higher/faster/etc and it's simply not possible to master it completely (it's non-sensicle to think you even can); secondly, a conc jump isn't just a conc jump, but you are always adapting it on-the-fly (literally, lol) to suite the exact situation - this rapid thinking and adapting mid-offy-move is for me what makes the conc classes so damn fun and skillful to play.

i'd teach you to conc one evening myself if i could, but i'm without net atm. if you're still struggling in a month then send me a pm gl
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
yeah this would be fairly easy to scripts, but as caesuim said some people would consider this a hax. And secondly doing this will really hurt you more then help you. I never jump the same when concing...it's always different and always adapting to the situation. someitmes you want to jump so your at the peak of your jump when the conc goes off and sometimes you want to be falling / jumping etc. it's soo situational that trying to script it is really a bad idea IMO.

Get with me on steam sometime and well jump on a moderately easy conc map and I can help you out. Steam name is: heengreen. Add me to friends and we'll jump on the UGC server sometime!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Zalador

well, i guess i have to train then. anyway, thanks for your help.
Zalador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Just jump right as it goes off for maximum height, jump shortly before it goes off for more distance.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
concing is an easy adaptation. you just need to practice. most people want to do concing immediatly, and dont want to deal with learning a game. thats why games like halo and CoD4 are so popular, because the average chimp can pick up and play.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
I might take you up on that Dr. Satan. I never tried concing (or quad) but I'm a little interested to try it after seeing some of the designs for these conc maps. Would definitely help me with some better ideas and designs for future maps as well. Of course I like to play running the server as a lan, that way I'm not that affected by lag. Any good beginner conc maps that people recommend? The only map I've done is conc_oneeye (I think that's the name?) when FF first came out and it was fun but got easy after figuring out what to do, I guess? Anyhow, maybe send you a message sometime if I have any available free time, if you don't mind. If not, I understand as I'm busy as hell my self most of the time.
cownaetion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

well pm me anytime and I'll be happy to make time, I'm usually at work all day, but the evenings are free game provided my gf isn't home (or pissy )

As far as easy maps...
  • ff_concmap_mc is very nice and easy
  • concmap5 is moderately easy and nice for a beginner who know the basics and want to improve
  • conc_oneeyed_b2 - this would go about here...I think the last like 2 jumps are a little bit more difficult then some / most of the maps in concmap5, but not by much really.
  • conc_adam - this would be my next choice in terms of a step up as it progresses from very easy to pretty difficult.
  • conc_adam2_r - go here next
  • conc_adam2 - same map but harder first jump i believe.
  • rj_shirobi - put this about here or before adam2 as it's difficult in some places for a conc class especially since it's a solly map really.
  • concmap_cave - This would go here I think...haven't had the time to beat it yet so it might be harder / easier.

If your new stay the fuck away from:
  • ff_conc_zion
  • ff_charybda
  • and kinda rj_midori
Seriously these maps will make you cry if you haven't ever played a concmap before...hell going through zion almost made me cry and I feel I'm a pretty adequate concer!

also there is:
  • ff_conc_foamy
  • conc_example
  • concmap3 (being developed currently)
  • and ff_nodconc

but idk shit about them as I haven't loaded them up since they were in beta's.

I'm pretty sure there are more maps out there too that I don't have or know about but some mappers are secretive bastards and I can't get a hold of the lua for them!

BUT definitely hit me up...or at least add me on friends. Generally when I get board I jump on the UGC server and just conc cause sometimes I like to! So if you see me on the UGC server odds are that I'm concing or about to be. That or I'm testing server stuff (happens lol). Seriously though hit me up whenever. I also spend lots of Friday and Saturday nights (like 10pm to 6am) concing b/c I don't have to be up for work!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 PM   #9
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
Ah sounds, good. Thanks for the list, will try the first few since I am new to it. Saturday nights would be a safe bet since usually the only day I have off is Sunday so staying up late is open to me. I'll try to get on Steam and add you later. Do you happen to have the UGC Server address on hand or is it easily findable in the server list? I haven't really played publicly since 1.1 came out, so I'm a little behind on the times
cownaetion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #10
-=Roland=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Just jump right as it goes off for maximum height, jump shortly before it goes off for more distance.
You know what? This has got to be one of the MOST helpful statements I've ever seen for concing.

No... Seriously it is and very simple too
-=Roland=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 12:44 AM   #11
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

lol it's in my siggy!

Also I lied...bad...I'm sorry!
I thought conc_example was ff_concmap_mc and it is definitely NOT.

Better (not lying) list:
  1. conc_example - best beginner concmap I have seen
  2. ff_nodconc - great if you want to learn triple concs and juggling
  3. concpillar_b3 - great map for beginners...you conc up to each of 4 / 5 platforms. Most jumps can be done with a triple conc with the last needing a 4th conc OR a perfect triple conc.
  4. ff_juggle_this(dk about sp there) - great map for learning to juggle...
  5. concmap5 - great beginner map with some moderately difficult jumps
  6. conc_oneeyed_b2 - a little more advanced then concmap5 due to the last jump
  7. ff_conc_foamy_r - great map but does have a few difficult jumps not as many jumps as adam so it's before it just on time
  8. concmap_adam - great map with some moderately difficult jumps. This map progresses the best of any map I have seen in terms of difficulty...starts out fairly simple and ends with a very early stages of advanced jumps
  9. concmap_adam2_r - nice map but jumps are fairly advanced
  10. concmap_adam2 - same as above harder first jump
  11. ff_charybda - difficulty is advanced...many jumps require you to sting multiple sets of concs together. Great map if you have the skills to play it
  12. ff_concmap_mc - very difficult map. Starts out simple with a few advanced jumps, however ends up with a plethora of advanced down and up juggle concs.
  13. ff_conc_zion - IMO the hardest map I have seen in FF yet...nice jumps and apparently he will chastise you if you mess with his lua, but very difficult jumps

Rocket Jumping Maps:
  • rj_shirobi - rocket jumping map (can be done with concs) has a category of it's own!
  • rj_rocketeer - I have not played this map yet, but I am told it is between the 2 by the mapper.
  • rj_midori - rocket jumping map, most difficultly of the 3
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 03-04-2008, 01:16 AM   #12
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Roland=-
You know what? This has got to be one of the MOST helpful statements I've ever seen for concing.

No... Seriously it is and very simple too
Thank you.

I love how much more flexible handheld jumps are in Fortress Forever when compared to TFC.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
lol it's in my siggy!

Also I lied...bad...I'm sorry!
I thought conc_example was ff_concmap_mc and it is definitely NOT.

Better (not lying) list:
  1. conc_example - best beginner concmap I have seen
  2. ff_nodconc - great if you want to learn triple concs and juggling
  3. concpillar_b3 - great map for beginners...you conc up to each of 4 / 5 platforms. Most jumps can be done with a triple conc with the last needing a 4th conc OR a perfect triple conc.
  4. ff_juggle_this(dk about sp there) - great map for learning to juggle...
  5. concmap5 - great beginner map with some moderately difficult jumps
  6. conc_oneeyed_b2 - a little more advanced then concmap5 due to the last jump
  7. ff_conc_foamy_r - great map but does have a few difficult jumps not as many jumps as adam so it's before it just on time
  8. concmap_adam - great map with some moderately difficult jumps. This map progresses the best of any map I have seen in terms of difficulty...starts out fairly simple and ends with a very early stages of advanced jumps
  9. concmap_adam2_r - nice map but jumps are fairly advanced
  10. concmap_adam2 - same as above harder first jump
  11. ff_charybda - difficulty is advanced...many jumps require you to sting multiple sets of concs together. Great map if you have the skills to play it
  12. ff_concmap_mc - very difficult map. Starts out simple with a few advanced jumps, however ends up with a plethora of advanced down and up juggle concs.
  13. ff_conc_zion - IMO the hardest map I have seen in FF yet...nice jumps and apparently he will chastise you if you mess with his lua, but very difficult jumps

Rocket Jumping Maps:
  • rj_shirobi - rocket jumping map (can be done with concs) has a category of it's own!
  • rj_rocketeer - I have not played this map yet, but I am told it is between the 2 by the mapper.
  • rj_midori - rocket jumping map, most difficultly of the 3

Wait 'till you see his new map, its more of a precision based quad map, got a few of them blue'd, but it'll make you cringe if you think ff_conc_zion is hard :P

ALSO, sidenote, ff_conc_zion was made when concs stuck to the wall, its got significantly easier since they fixed that.

If you have some spare time, pop into the Euroskills FF server (IP: 85.114.140.42:27015), great server with a friendly community, we're (By we, I mean Llama.) Is trying to convince the TFCers to come over, slowly but surely, always good to have moar people =) that and you'll get tips if you're stuck on anything and what not.
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #14
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWetMule
Wait 'till you see his new map, its more of a precision based quad map, got a few of them blue'd, but it'll make you cringe if you think ff_conc_zion is hard :P

ALSO, sidenote, ff_conc_zion was made when concs stuck to the wall, its got significantly easier since they fixed that.

If you have some spare time, pop into the Euroskills FF server (IP: 85.114.140.42:27015), great server with a friendly community, we're (By we, I mean Llama.) Is trying to convince the TFCers to come over, slowly but surely, always good to have moar people =) that and you'll get tips if you're stuck on anything and what not.
eww...concing in EU servers is really tough for me...but I will try to pop by sometime!

also yeah I actually talked to him today about zion
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #15
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
satan you forgot totoro. not sure what the actual mapname is (ff_totoro, conc_totoro, etc) but that mother fucker is hard as fuck. i couldnt get past the first jump
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
TheWetMule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
satan you forgot totoro. not sure what the actual mapname is (ff_totoro, conc_totoro, etc) but that mother fucker is hard as fuck. i couldnt get past the first jump

You still have totoro? I'm sure Llama and a few others were looking for it, or somebody was, I forget, upload it please ;D? In return, secksx

Old 03-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #17
myersjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
ff_nodconc - great if you want to learn triple concs and juggling[*]concpillar_b3 - great map for beginners...you conc up to each of 4 / 5 platforms. Most jumps can be done with a triple conc with the last needing a 4th conc OR a perfect triple conc. [*]ff_juggle_this(dk about sp there) - great map for learning to juggle...[*]concmap5 - great beginner map with some moderately difficult jumps
[/LIST]
Do we have these on server?? I think i would like to try them..with your help of course..
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #18
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersjr
Do we have these on server?? I think i would like to try them..with your help of course..
um...on [AE] I'm not sure, I'll check, I know they are on the UGC server, just jump in an rtv or catch me sometime and we can pop over there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
I can't find it! If I can find it I will play it and rate it, but so far I haven't even been able to find the mapper for it!

I played it once and yeah it's a beast, but I didn't have a server back then so I couldn't extend time or anything and check it out!

EDIT: Ok so I'm going to bet it was totoro^vi that mapped this so I emailed him...maybe I can get the files!

EDIT #2: So I found where it was being hosted, but alas that site is dead:

http://www.concs-r-us.com/index.php?...wtopic&p=38886

Hopefully he responds to my email!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Last edited by Dr.Satan; 03-05-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #19
TheWetMule

Sadly, CRU met a sudden death Was a great site for skill jumpers,

Best bet for getting the map? Getting skanky or somebody to upload it, hopefully with a working Lua.

Totoro hasn't been around for a while ;x

Old 03-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #20
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Concs-r-us was a mess :s
Player is offline   Reply With Quote