Old 03-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #41
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
you see, i would like to be active in sports. but i SUCK at them. except Soccor and Basketball, but i still suck at them. this is why i never understood why people liked sports so much: it's fun to be good and fun to win. i suck at them, so it makes me feel terrible about myself because my teammates are usually big ego maniac assfucks
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #42
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
yeah i can totally see eye to eye with you on that. the only sport i was ever good at was hockey, and even that, i wasnt a superstar goal scoring maniac like a lot of my teammates. you might have more fun doing martial arts or something, since you dont have to work with a team and be looked down on if you dont do as well as the others.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #43
Player
D&A Member

Fuck the ego-boys...

Seriously, if you enjoy a sport (even if you "suck" at it), participate more often. Get some friends and play with them, then the environment that makes you uncomfortable wont be there and you can enjoy yourself properly.

Introduce more fruit and vegetables for the sake of it, too :P
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #44
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
yeah i can totally see eye to eye with you on that. the only sport i was ever good at was hockey, and even that, i wasnt a superstar goal scoring maniac like a lot of my teammates. you might have more fun doing martial arts or something, since you dont have to work with a team and be looked down on if you dont do as well as the others.
Yeah. Give hockey a shot. I've found that the majority of hockey players don't give a crap if you're bad at it, just that you're playing. You can always get better.

Plus, hockey owns.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 08:21 PM   #45
greenday5494
D&A Member

agree, hockey does own

Old 03-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #46
Etzell
D&A Member

And, like everyone's been telling you, just get with a routine and keep it. If weight doesn't pour off, you're not doing anything wrong, per-se, these things just take time. Also, puberty will probably help you out, a lot of my friends back in high school started kind of large and then evened out as high school went on.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #47
greenday5494
D&A Member

you see, the reason i want to run instead of sports is because it's simpler and doesnt require "skill", i might join Cross-Country, who knows

Old 03-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #48
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Running is great. There is no commitment to a team, so you aren't tied down to a shitty schedule, and you can make your own limits.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2008, 12:14 AM   #49
there's nothing here
lol

Location: Halfway sprawled out of a cardboard box at the bottom of a flight of stairs.
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
you see, i would like to be active in sports. but i SUCK at them. except Soccor and Basketball, but i still suck at them. this is why i never understood why people liked sports so much: it's fun to be good and fun to win. i suck at them, so it makes me feel terrible about myself because my teammates are usually big ego maniac assfucks
But running can be boring for most people.

I suck at all ball sports, maybe trials riding is your thing?

Or camping, it isn't really a sport, but you'd have to hike a little.
there's nothing here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2008, 12:46 AM   #50
greenday5494
D&A Member

yea, i like running actually. running is simple, fun, and no team with assfuck ego manics. maybe thats why i like running

Old 03-22-2008, 03:23 AM   #51
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
I don't have the knees for running...in fact it "runs" in my family. I walk. Lower impact and decent exercise...it just takes a longer time commitment. With the weather getting nicer I can do it outside more instead of my treadmill.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2008, 03:49 AM   #52
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Dude, soccer is one of the most physically demanding sports that exists. Think of it this way, you run for 45 minutes, then take a break, then run for another 45. All the while focusing your mind and your body to control the ball and the field. If you are really into it even if you're bad playing it will be amazing for you.

Admittedly I'm biased towards the sport, it's my favorite thing to play ever. (it's also the source of 90% of my injuries) But damn its fun.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2008, 04:26 AM   #53
there's nothing here
lol

Location: Halfway sprawled out of a cardboard box at the bottom of a flight of stairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
yea, i like running actually. running is simple, fun, and no team with assfuck ego manics. maybe thats why i like running
Great, me too. And about the knees, me too- I just do it anyways.

Yanno, I think it's one of the few that you can really "push" yourself.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:27 AM   #54
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by there's nothing here
Great, me too. And about the knees, me too- I just do it anyways.

Yanno, I think it's one of the few that you can really "push" yourself.
One of my brothers has been through 4 surgeries in his knees...I'll play it safe...

Old 03-22-2008, 04:32 AM   #55
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I play it safe with my knees as well. I had Osgood-Schlatter's disease as a teen and my knee (only happened in one) has hurt non-stop. Doctors say surgery won't do anything so I just run until I hurt, stop, and then walk back home.

Or, if the weather is bad, I'll just run on the treadmill until my knee hurts. Then, I'll lift some light weights or something.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2008, 04:38 AM   #56
there's nothing here
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
One of my brothers has been through 4 surgeries in his knees...I'll play it safe...
Ouch.. knee surgeries blow, and that's puttin' it lightly.

I get the clicking stuff. Feels like I can't bend it all the way.. can't really explain it, just a funny feeling.

Few years ago it would actually hurt pretty often. Maybe it was just growing pains. Still does every once in a while for no reason.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:46 AM   #57
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
Originally Posted by there's nothing here
Ouch.. knee surgeries blow, and that's puttin' it lightly.

I get the clicking stuff. Feels like I can't bend it all the way.. can't really explain it, just a funny feeling.

Few years ago it would actually hurt pretty often. Maybe it was just growing pains. Still does every once in a while for no reason.
Wait until you're my age or older... :grimace:

Old 03-22-2008, 04:50 AM   #58
there's nothing here
lol

I know. ^_^

But I think I'd rather do as much now. You never know if you'll live that long, and by that age you'd probably be loaded with osteoporosis and arthritis anyways.

Would never have done anything at all, then.

Young people eh, they'll never learn.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:47 AM   #59
Suite307

*does lay-ups* HOOP-HAH!
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #60
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Sports can be fun if you get with some people who are friendly and who are cool about it if you aren't great. That mostly rules out competitive sports in my experience. I got into ultimate frisbee with my friends in college. We played in the mud, snow, rain, ice, at night, and had a ball. We had one guy who bothered to keep score and we didn't listen to him anyway. There's lots of running but you can slow down for a bit if you need to. Of course you need to learn to throw and catch a disk. Hopefully your friends will be patient with you as you learn.

I can't stand running for any length of time unless it's for something fun, like the above. I love biking but it can get boring going down the same roads every time. Not to mention there's always the chance of getting run off the road by some fucker who won't slow down.

On eating: The worst thing you can do is eat without thinking. It's easy to do when you are at home all day and not doing anything in particular. You keep going to the kitchen and before you know it you've destroyed all the junk food in the house. This can happen a lot in the winter.

Just get into this habit: Every time you eat, think about why you are eating (am I hungry or just bored? Have I had a proper meal recently?), what you are eating(what it is made out of and what it will do to you) and what might be better to eat instead. Learn to cook, too. Cooking forces you to think about food. Food that comes readymade is designed to prevent you from thinking about it (so you'll eat more).

People will tell you never to skip meals and you should never go hungry. I don't agree. That sucking feeling you get in your stomach when you're hungry is your stomach shrinking (I mean the actual organ, not your belly). It's the opposite of what happens when you get really full and your stomach stretches. The next time you eat you won't have to eat as much to feel satisfied. Do you know some fat people get expensive invasive surgeries to decrease the size of their stomachs? Then they proceed to stretch them back out again because they never changed their habits.

HOWEVER, since you are so young, it could just be you haven't gotten rid of your baby fat yet. You haven't said how tall you are, but if 180 lbs makes you a "fat kid", I'm guessing you haven't finished growing. As some mentioned, you might just grow into it. Nutrition is very important when you're growing, probably more important than weight. If you're physically active and have good eating habits, you're off to a good start.