Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 09-16-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
bryant

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
system requirements?

I am looking to purchase half life2 through steam so I can download fortress forever. But before I buy it, I was wondering if my desktop could handle it
here is some info.

Operating System: Windows NT* 2000
DirectX* Version: 9.0
Physical Memory: 1021 MB
Min. Graphics Memory: 1 MB
Max. Graphics Memory: 64 MB
Graphics Memory in use: 6 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 1793 MHZ

any comments would be great. thanks

Old 09-16-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
IronFist

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
You have a system that coupled with the right graphics card, should probably be fine on medium-to-high (without HDR) settings. I assume you've got a dell or something that came complete with on-board video. You'll almost definitely need to upgrade your graphics solution, which depending on the age of your system, may be excessively costly.

The best thing to do is go look up some benchmarks for some older video cards (6800 Ultra is a good place to start, or an equivalent ATI card) and find one that looks good. Your CPU is really the most limiting factor in the upgrade, so you don't need the latest-and-greatest.

If your system is old enough to only have an AGP slot for graphics (rather than the new pci express), you should probably get it used off ebay to save money. Either way, it shouldn't cost you over $100 if you look in the right place!

I play at all high (no HDR, 2xAA, 8xAF) on a 2600+ (equivalent to 2.6ghz intel), 1GB ram, nVidia 6800 Ultra @ 1024x960 and experience very little FPS problems.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:17 AM   #3
EquilibriuM
G9-
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Solly,Engy
Gametype: ALL
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
well

if the videocard you have is onboard disable it. now depending on what your agp is there are agp 1.5 motherboards and 2.0 if you have a 1.5 get a 5200 -6800 nvidia card if you have a 2.0 get any 7 series card and you could be playing FF or any source mods just fine. cpu anything over 1700mhz will be just fine well this is based on nvidia which i prefer so if you rather use a ATI then maybe someone can give some insides on that subject i never owned any so i cant tell you much on that subject hope this was of some help.
EquilibriuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
StatisticZ
My title is... Custom.

Looks like you're using a Dell, as am I. And I've basically given up trying to upgrade the P.O.S., I'm just gonna build a whole new computer.
StatisticZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
pizzahut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRo SkillZ
now depending on what your agp is there are agp 1.5 motherboards and 2.0
if you have a 1.5 get a 5200 -6800 nvidia card
if you have a 2.0 get any 7 series card and you could be playing FF or any source mods just fine.
cpu anything over 1700mhz will be just fine well this is based on nvidia which i prefer
If you have a Celeron or Sempron, I'd upgrade the CPU.
From the 5200 to 6800 range I can only recommend the 6800.
From the 7 series I'd get nothing lower than a 7600.

Last edited by pizzahut; 09-16-2007 at 11:32 AM.
pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote