Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

View Poll Results: What Gameplay Should 4play have?
King of the Hill 16 53.33%
Toss the Flag 11 36.67%
Demolition 9 30.00%
Other (please explain) 7 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #21
barronofhellion

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
great work sofar, no comment on gametype but a question on maping, your displacements. for example the door arches, do you just use the displacement tools and move each control point ? or do you know of a more user friendly faster way? (besides the q3 patch app)
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #22
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Quote:
Originally Posted by barronofhellion
great work sofar, no comment on gametype but a question on maping, your displacements. for example the door arches, do you just use the displacement tools and move each control point ? or do you know of a more user friendly faster way? (besides the q3 patch app)
can you not just make it with the arch tool and then turn it into a displacement? or would that delete some of the faces?

edit: nvm, you're asking a bout the entire arc being one brush aren't you? In that case it is all by hand.
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #23
barronofhellion

i was guessing that it was a displacement brush, it looked to clean to be clipped...

Old 05-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #24
Beetle
Beta than eva'

nah i meant originally clipped, then smoothed out and what not with the displacement tool
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #25
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Imbrifer
My door arches are made up of individual brushes, combined together to be a func_detail. It takes a lot of brushes, but most of the arches are inside, and I'm optimizing the map well so it shouldn't fark with anyones systems.

I'm using a lot of architectural displacements elsewhere, though, and I'm close to the limit (even though you cant tell from the screenies )
Imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #26
barronofhellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle
nah i meant originally clipped, then smoothed out and what not with the displacement tool
i was tring to do just that in the map im doing right now and it looks like a pain in the ass because you have to keep swiching from x-y-z axis in the displacement tools and it takes well 4x as much moving verts because its subdivided, thats why i was hoping he knew a fast way to do it like the way the patch tool does it , but i see that he does it manual and combines them to a func detail wich is what ill do when i get home to my power core looking thing . that i converted to a displacement.. thx imbrifer for the help, awesome looking stuff btw

Old 05-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #27
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Thanks barron. My rule for 'when to use func_details' versus 'when to use displacements' follows this rule: If I can save a bunch of brushes by making it a displacement, or making it a displacement makes it look more how I want, I will.

For example, if I make a concave curve (the inside of a curve), I'll make it out of displacements to avoid using the 8+ brushes. On the other hand, if I make a convex curve, I'll usually just use a brush. I decided to use brushes in this example because it simply achieved the look I was going for more. And making such a small displacement arch would be a major pain in the f*cking arse.

Much <3

Old 05-25-2007, 07:29 PM   #28
barronofhellion

yea i know what you mean, also the power core thing i was making did not sew correctly after i did it and it was seperating from the rest of the other displacements. i did it twice and every time i loaded it back it was seperating again. the cylinder tool was what i was looking for. the map im working on is going to need all the vis blocking it can, so im pritty much only going to be able to use func_detail in certain spots, and if i use any displacements ill have to drop a nodraw block in it, atm my map is 100% nodraw so a simple copy-paste would be easy. btw your maps are looking great keep up the good work

Old 05-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #29
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
One team must have all the flags in their flagroom to score get my vote.
Donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #30
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Yeah.. so I finished the 4th base and the outside area.. everything except for final tweaks and the skybox.

Except just the vvis took 10 hours. So something tells me I'll be optimizing the map a bit more. Maybe instead of all 4 bases in a big field, I'll make the map in a swastika overhead pattern. So a midfieldy place, but you have to walk a bit to get to each base. But that could slow down the game a bunch since its 4 teams..

Another option is having each base be in a different setting, with portals between each.

Preferences? Thoughts?

Old 06-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #31
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Great looking map bud, I voted for KoTH, as for more gameplay suggestions, I would seriously consider limiting sniper use on these sort of maps. If you go into a pub that is playing something like murderball with the 4 bases facing the center, generally it turns into "Why bother going outside if you're going to get sniped?" Perhaps make it so snipers can't shoot the people in the field and only each other? I dunno, I'm not so much in to mapping, but I do know that snipers really ruin murderball. I say that because instead of playing the objective, most snipers just pick off anyone running in the field even if it isn't the team controlling the ball.

(For those of you who don't know, murderball is a 'control the ball' map where 4 teams fight for a ball that spawns in the center and take it to their base and try to control it for the longest, the longer you hold, the longer you get points.)

In any case, which ever direction you go, I'm sure it'd be worth a play simply for the fact that it looks great, keep up the good work!
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #32
own3r
Custom mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
Yeah.. so I finished the 4th base and the outside area.. everything except for final tweaks and the skybox.

Except just the vvis took 10 hours. So something tells me I'll be optimizing the map a bit more. Maybe instead of all 4 bases in a big field, I'll make the map in a swastika overhead pattern. So a midfieldy place, but you have to walk a bit to get to each base. But that could slow down the game a bunch since its 4 teams..

Another option is having each base be in a different setting, with portals between each.

Preferences? Thoughts?
10 hours for vvis thats crazy! Make all of the non structural stuff to func_details else you will cry waiting for it, the process may take a while but I am willing to bet its less than 10 hours.

I say keep the 4 teams on the yard and make the entrance of each base block vvis, that will make all well and wont require a hike.
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #33
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I don't like the idea of the portals, really. At least with a normal midfield kind of design you could conc over to different bases, but if you have to teleport then people might just resort to setting up demo traps right where the teleport lets out... if ya know what I mean?

edit: And upload screenies of the green base please
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2007, 03:50 AM   #34
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Heh, I'll upload screenies of the green base when I can see it ingame :P

Thanks for the suggestions, own3r - unfortunately, I've already done them. I've turned everything but the essential vis blocking stuff into func_details and blocked off all the entrances.

Just before I added the green base, 4play took the same amount of time to compile as 2morforever, but now its like 1000 times longer. Musta farked up somewhere with the green base. Guess I'll just fly through again and nitpick - see if there are any gaping design holes sucking up that extra 9.5 hrs of compile time

Anyone know any little thing that is easily missed that can drive vvis time through the roof?
Does lighting have a big impact on vvis, or is it just layout and areas?

EDIT: Did some tweaking - changed prop_dynamic_override entities to prop_physics entities that can't move.. removed some lights, fixed some detail shiat, and now the Vis is only taking an hr or two.

Last edited by Imbrifer; 06-24-2007 at 05:22 AM.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:03 AM   #35
Nezumi
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: Soldier, O
Gametype: Doubble Mode
Affiliations: Cassiotone Nation
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Lighting doesn't affect vvis...

Old 06-25-2007, 12:25 PM   #36
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
First of all, good job with the map!

Second, I voted for "toss the flag"....and part of the reason why is that no one, to my knowledge(and I have played over 1000 TFC maps), has ever made a map like that before.

One last thing....

For the love of God(s), someone re-make Beerrun!!!!!
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2007, 01:45 PM   #37
Zaskar

Could always make it so that it switches game types every time 1 team gets like lets say, 5 caps?

Kinda like how push maps change area after every cap. Though to do that you might have to "clone" the whole map and place it somewhere else.

I dunno if this is possible, but maybe capping someones base 5 times can "open the generator" and then allow other teams to destroy it. Or you need to destroy their generator or whatever, which will then unlock the flagroom/flag.

Either way, map looks badass man, cant wait.
Zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2007, 04:51 AM   #38
Doughnut-4|4-

Alternates

A while back I made a few odd four player maps and I thought I'd share their concepts here even though I don't think they are always the best of ideas.

Alliance was a four player capture the flag variant in which each team had an allie and an enemy. If you scored your team got 10 points and if your allies scored you got 5 points. Obviously the goal was to win even at the cost of attacking your allies, but in general you wanted to assist eachother. Each team could only move one flag (their enemies) though they could kill anyone in their way.

Rook was a king of the hill type map about half the size of murderball where each team had a flag and so long as your flag was carried on the hill by someone, your team would score points per second.
Doughnut-4|4- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #39
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
^^^^ Anyway of getting ahold of those maps?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 PM   #40
Doughnut-4|4-

I made about 15 maps for TFC... I love them all of course. I got nice pictures of them on the website below but sadly I can't find anyone to host the maps. I tried fileplanet and jmc but neither site ever put them up. I am always up for playing on them and talking about them. They're my babies. Plus I love playing new maps with folks. Here's the link and a list of their names:

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/CVBrennan/
Doughnut-4|4- is offline   Reply With Quote