Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
new map: RJ Shiro Obi

Traditional rj'ing. Scout/Medic/Demo available, though not tested with them but should be possible due to easy difficulty (concs are quite strong.)

http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/..._Obi_Map;83111
cownaetion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #2
Lt Llama

cownaetion, I have to be honest with you but this map has some major issues you could have solved before releasing it. If this goes up on pub the server will turn into a total mess because its to little room to move around for people. A map like this is a flame starter and an admins nightmare.

My other issue is your random choices of textures. There are at least 100 skills maps for tfc which looks like this. There is no reson that tradition have to live on in FF.

It is not hard to decide on a texture theme and stick to it.
Have a look at this, its from Renegade's newly released concmap_eze for TFC.
Its a simple, rock, grass, glass and sand map with a texture theme that works. A map doesnt get better the more textures you use, it is the opposite if they are well chosen.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that you made a skills map is great, and I hope you make more
Lt Llama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
Yeah I agree with your argument about the textures. Originally they were all textured the same as the first jump. I'm horrible at visuals, regardless what it is to be honest. Also my habits are stuck in the era of QWTF since all rj maps were made/designed that way. As for the size of the jumps the only reason their that size is because I honestly, (and don't criticize too much on this), didn't think due to the current population of FF that it would get much play. Not only that the map is easy so going through it is no difficult feat and don't see anyone continuing playing it unless their just trying to do the jumps in different ways (some examples being jump3 with no grens and jump 4 one rocket). However I do appreciate your comment and will design my next one with them in mind. By posting that screen though actually just gave me the idea that I'll probably post a pic of each jump before I release the map to get any feedback on the type of textures to use. And as for space, well trust me, the next one will be around sizes of rjextreme (qwtf) or rjensigne (tfc).

Old 09-26-2007, 03:55 AM   #4
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Don't forget the golden rule of the mapping forum: no pics, no clicks. Get some screenies for your map up on here!

That said, there are plenty of people who are talented with texturing. I do not think texturing a map takes nearly as much time as making it in other respects. Maybe you can get someone to texture it for you so it looks more Sourcey?

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 06:33 AM   #5
Lt Llama

I also suck at visuals. I have a handicap, I think, which makes it impossible to visualize things in my head, I have to see it done before I can say, YEA, this looks good. So my work around is going the long road, and experiment a lot, and having a look at it. If that doesnt work, then I just borrow design ideas, but try to avoid ripping off. But after spending years on various skills servers, I also know what works and what doesnt.

And I can't understand how you can sit down and make a map thinking it wont be played much . The time you put down in mapping is a waste of time if the map wont be played.

Buy a couple of apples, turn on some music and chill in the sofa until the ideas starts to take form, they eventually do .
Lt Llama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Yeah maybe I'll go by posting jumps for people to help on, I'll keep that in mind a few weeks from now. As for the apples, there all well and good, it's just finding the time to buy the apples RL sorta sucks ya know As for the screenies there are some on that link but your right shouldn't have to make the viewers go through another click. Thanks for the input guys I'll keep them in mind. HOping Columbus day weekend I'll be able to kick out my next one (with a 4-day weekend if I get one). Going to take a lot more play-testing on this one hehe