sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
sweet, cant wait to get this thing goin

Devs should put a section in the main menu in the next patch for FF for SoTF when it kicks off, to divert noobs to the page, and so they know the teachers, their contact details, and such
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #22
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Yeah...I don't really see any sort of official sponsorship coming for a lot of reasons, but what we can do is be sure to grab up and refer new members to the site whenever we see them.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #23
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
*pics*

Yeah, the whole thing will first start out slow obviously because well, no one even knows it exists yet. We'll see a bigger jump when/if we add TF2 to it, only due to the player base that is. After time though through word of mouth and such, if it turns out well it should pick up and by then will have had more time to get stuff implemented and changed/fixed.

Alright here are a few layouts. I don't claim to be a 'pro' at any of this. Heck, I can't even use Photoshop appropriately. So feel free to hold the flames, just like, dislikes, and what you think would look/feel better. I tried not stealing any sites designs, just not right but it sure would of been easier to do so (and heck would look better )

Obviously their not totally complete and will look different when it comes to viewing it in the browser due to fonts and such. For the first one I'm still not sure about the nav on the right and the bottom area with the two boxes I really had nothing to put there so I just threw something there. It may not stay and the links may go on the right and that just may be blank space, who knows let you decide.

Second one I'm not sure on the links on the bottom left, probably change the color perhaps. Forgot to add a search bar to the bottom of the sidebar. Originally I had a picture of the Soldier from QWTF underneath the sidebar but then removed it, so now it's blank. Not sure if it's fine blank or a random image should be there considering that sidebar will get longer. Hmm?

The third one I think is fine as-is. Can't think of anything at the moment. I tried going with a few different styles, not all of the same kind. If all three get the same amount of yes/no's, it's possible I'll look into using them all with the same content, wouldn't be hard to setup. I was working on a fourth one with a comic-book style (which in flash would really kick ass but I don't have time to make a flash-based site atm) so maybe I'll finish it tonight, maybe not, not sure. Other things came up in that silly thing we call 'real life' so you know how that goes.

Oh, just be honest please. If it's good, it's good. If it sucks, it sucks. If it's okay, it's okay. I'm not a designer so don't worry about hurting my feelings And if anyone's wondering why I stuck with the old school images of TF, that's because we're:

1. Bringing back the SoTF from QWTF.
2. If we ever do bring TF2 into this, this shows that we're not biased toward either-or and our purpose remains the same and not biased.
3. C'mon, it's QWTF :P
cownaetion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #24
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Nice work man!

Ok:

1) Don't like this one at all TBH, too disjointed and wierd IMO.
2) Likes:
  • The color style / format
  • The style of the buttons (news, staff, forum, etc).
  • The picture is cool and I agree that QWTF is the way to go on that.
  • Latest Additions I like, but I would code something in there to allow web-masters to "hide" articles so that only like 5 are ever showing...latest doesn't mean from inception.
  • The rant about the horses...cause that was hilarious!
Dislikes:
  • Schedule, join, resources, about. I think these should be moved over to the right under announcements.
  • Font...kinda dull IMO

3) My favorite!

• The font...looks old and very philosophical page. I think of old roman teachings and what not when I envision the SoTF...
  • Welcome message and mission statement. It's very well rounded and sounds great.
  • Site Map is perfect where it is and I like it there!
  • Quote is very nice
  • SOTF on the side (background) looks very nice!
  • Color is perfect! Same reasoning as the font.
Dislikes:
  • SOTF should be SoTF in my opinion. (actually for all 3)
  • Buttons are too square and boxy. Need to be more rounded / look aged to fit the format
  • quote need to have artist name...even if it's just unknown needs something.
  • The stub you have is nice, but I would like to see it be written on a scroll (click1)(click2)(click3)(click4)...like old and withered scroll on parchment paper that people can scroll down to read through the announcements or something. I think that would put it right over the top.
  • Top looks kinda dull...not much there. I think we could use a nice banner. Give me a day or so and I'll whip one up in photoshop.

Overall 3 is my favorite.

Needs:
  • I think we need a Guilds Page and need to support guilds. Lot of people out there belong to one guild or another and I would really like to see up supporting it. Might start off slow, but more will join up I think.
  • Creedo something more then just what you have on the side. "We are committed to blah blah..." I can type something up for you tonight I think (should have time).
  • Servers Tab - We will eventually need this so might as well code it in know no?
  • Somewhere where people can donate to the site and help us pay for servers that we will eventually get.
  • Floating quotes...I love the quote idea, but I think they need to change around frequently so that people don't read the same quote every time the come to the site.

I think that's all I have for now, I'll write that up and get a nice banner too when I have a few free minutes. I'll try to make up a banner that fits with all 3 themes if I can.

Can you send me the hex code for the colors your using and the type of font for each?
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Last edited by Dr.Satan; 03-10-2008 at 10:43 PM.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #25
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
Yes, sorry forgot to mention those fonts you see for the posts and links aren't gonna be used on the site most likely. A lot of this may come out rendered a bit differently as well since I like to stick with standards as much as possible and don't go around cutting up images for a layout. So if you don't like them, don't worry

For number 2), yeah can move them, was planning on changing the button type as well. So far I've sent these three to a few different people, gamers and designers, all gamers pick 2, all designers pick 1 & 3, 3 being the better over all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
Needs:

* I think we need a Guilds Page and need to support guilds. Lot of people out there belong to one guild or another and I would really like to see up supporting it. Might start off slow, but more will join up I think.
* Creedo something more then just what you have on the side. "We are committed to blah blah..." I can type something up for you tonight I think (should have time).
* Servers Tab - We will eventually need this so might as well code it in know no?
* Somewhere where people can donate to the site and help us pay for servers that we will eventually get.
* Floating quotes...I love the quote idea, but I think they need to change around frequently so that people don't read the same quote every time the come to the site.
Yeah, as far as extra links go for servers and such you can count on them being there, I was just rambling off the top of my head. The piece of paper might work, not a bad touch but it just depends on the length of the posts and the amount of them. Having a super long piece of paper may not work in that regard. The quotes we can do, servers tab we can do, as far as guilds we can let that sit under with the additional links but for that I was planning on that information being with the teacher's details on their own page. We can put some links to the popular ones up front, any sparring ones probably let them sit with them. Yeah, I was planning on random quotes, thought that'd be nice as well A donate button would work, honestly never even thought of that but your right with the servers and all. As for the banner we can try that too, I'd just say if you could don't go with anything FF/TF2 specific. TFC would be alright since we're from the same player base.

I'll throw in a couple changes with the paper and banner when you get it and we'll see how that comes out. As far as hex codes:

For the header bar: Gradient: #656565 - #212121
Quote/Intro text BG: Gradient #fffef1 - #d5d29d
Main BG: #fffef1
SOTF Logo: #d5d29d, just set at a lower opacity
Footer: f8f7e4
Nav buttons (dark): Gradient #595959 - #383737
Nav Button (light): Gradient #ffffff - #fffef1

The font used for the logo/tabs/title: Charlemagne Std
The rest should be Lucida Sans Unicode, which is just something standard I picked. You can count on that not being in the web version.

Thanks Doc, good ideas there too. If I can get some more dislikes that'll help on areas to improve. When your ready just send me a link here or you can email me: priority5@hotmail.com Whichever's easier, I check the forums daily. Though not possible to please everyone, as long as we're okay with our final product we'll be alright.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #26
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

nope it will have nothing to do with TF2 or FF (probably not even TFC).

And cool are those values from the 3rd or is it all standard?

Do you want to go with the scroll concept for the banner or something different?
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 03-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #27
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Hey, fast response Sorry those values are for the 3rd only, I'll try to get the values to you later for the other when I can, hopefully before I hit the sack tonight. As for the scroll it's not a bad idea, we'll just have to test it out. If it works it works, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. We'll find something. But your right that something should be there, I don't know maybe something subtle in the back, repeating pattern like vines/flowers or something like that to match the style? Totally turn this thing Samurai-sh maybe? Any ideas throw them out there, we'll figure something out. Community site

Old 03-11-2008, 02:44 AM   #28
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
3 looks like a college website.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:51 AM   #29
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
it does
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2008, 03:24 AM   #30
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

A college website? The last time I visited a college website was seven years ago. But hey, that kinda fits the theme anyway though right? Except no tuition If you guys could give some likes/dislikes it could help otherwise I'll take it you guys are fine with it, which just moves it one step closer to getting this going.

Doc, here's the rest of the stuff before I head to bed.

1) header: gradient: #bfcfff - #809fff
content box: header #ff6600, bg #b34700
misc box: header #d0d0d0, bg #818181
intro box: #080727
nav: gradient #848484 - #d0d0d0
expanded link: #2f2f2f
school of tf font: Arial
the zen quote: Bell Gothic Std
rest of content: Lucida Sans Unicode

2) nav buttons: #999999, current (news) #ffffff (low opacity)
content: gradient #323232 - #282828
background: #121212
quote font: Georgia
SoTF Font (both): Arial

That's about it. Also Doc, had another idea. We regularly update the design and just let the user choose amongst the layout, be a nice touch. So if you have something you like send it over and see what we can do with it. Why not let the user have the best of it all? Can make a layout from 'Minimal to Complex', whatever they prefer. Anyhow, I'm out for the night, peace.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:44 AM   #31
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
So long as you make some CSS-ready HTML that proposed idea will be painfully easy to implement.

The only thing I don't like about #3 is the font for the titles/buttons - the serifs are kinda all over the place. Also, the embossing/bevelling shit on it looks tacky. Flat text would be a lot better for it, I think.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #32
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

I like that it looks like a college, kind of what I envision in my head anyway.

I didn't get much of a chance to do anything last night, but I'll try to throw something up in the next few days.

I think I'll get a cool looking scroll for the banner, maybe something with a QWTF image incorporated, and I'll do something different too. idk we'll see!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 03-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #33
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
So long as you make some CSS-ready HTML that proposed idea will be painfully easy to implement.

The only thing I don't like about #3 is the font for the titles/buttons - the serifs are kinda all over the place. Also, the embossing/bevelling shit on it looks tacky. Flat text would be a lot better for it, I think.
By CSS-ready I'm assuming you mean well structured and marked up, well then of course, that's the first thing you learn as a web developer. And since your saying this you probably already know but just in case nobody else has, go check out http://www.csszengarden.com, a perfect example of how it would work. We'll probably start out with two perhaps, since I'm limited on time usually, but can always add in the future. So if anyone has any ideas, send them along! Also for the font Circ, if you have any suggestions by all means throw them out there, only helps us all out.

Doc, that's alright, it's just a game bro. I don't think anyone's gonna have a heart attack over it. I added you to AIM so hopefully I can get in contact with you that way since it is a hell of a lot easier since I'm on it 90% of the time. But I dont' know how often you are so if you could throw me your Steam ID, I'll add you to that as well. You can add me first if you want, Steam ID is 'cownaetion', simple Won't be on tonight, friend's wife wants to play some Wii bowling, so I'll be having steak dinner tonight and hopefully making a couple dollars that we'll be betting on the game. Catch you tomorrow.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #34
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

haha betting on wii bowling, that is soooo sweet!

Um steam I added you, also AIM i'm not really on a lot cause I hate using trillion as I just get bombarded with IM's while I'm playing! Add my yahoo (if you have it) 'heentothewill' I use that one at work cause I have an alias and it's easier, so that's always up...as is steam though so take your pick lol.

Also the CSS thing is kinda meh to me, It's ok, but seems cluttery and disjointed for some reason. Maybe it's just the backgrounds that are available, but idk if I like it.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 03-11-2008, 11:27 PM   #35
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
Also the CSS thing is kinda meh to me, It's ok, but seems cluttery and disjointed for some reason. Maybe it's just the backgrounds that are available, but idk if I like it.
You're missing the point.

The point behind CSS Zen Garden is that every page on it is this page.

The only thing that has changed on any design shown there is the CSS file. The HTML is completely unchanged. The site exists to display what CSS is capable of - it's mostly geared towards designers, with a higher focus on aesthetics than function.

So basically, using CSS, you can make one site... then design it an infinite number of ways just by changing the CSS file. So, if he rigged the site correctly, we could use all three of the designs presented here simultaneously, and let the user choose the one they prefer.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:48 PM   #36
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

No I know...I just kinda like one site instead. But if we get 3 kick-ass designs that would work too...or even one kick-ass design and a bunch of crappy one's as long as I don't have to see them, it's not going to bother me (actually it will, a bit cause I'll know they are there, but still).
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 03-11-2008, 11:57 PM   #37
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

I wouldn't worry about that, it's fairly easy to say "Yeah sorry this design is pretty crap we're not gonna use it."

Old 03-12-2008, 02:42 AM   #38
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Yes, the user doesn't have to use the design if they don't want to, but the ability to let them choose between them is a nice touch. Also we could let people submit their designs as long as their around the same marked up data and upload that to let anyone use it. Though honestly this wouldn't help anything at all, just another community addition. So it is on the bottom of the list for things to do. So agreed we'll focus on one design and get it to function correctly. You guys are right though that we need at least just one primary design because it's a fact, and hell I agree, that a bad looking site drives people away. I know it shouldn't but I feel that way sometimes when shopping online. Yes this isn't shopping but I'm sure you get the idea.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #39
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
I wouldn't worry about that, it's fairly easy to say "Yeah sorry this design is pretty crap we're not gonna use it."
true!

Also agreed cow! I'll try to get something up this week...probably not happening tonight with the matches going and tomorrow I'm out of town, but Friday sounds like a good day for working with this and mapping some!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 03-17-2008, 04:49 AM   #40
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

looks great man...I would still say on the right it should be SoTF to match the top and we need something for the middle...haven't gotten time to work on this yet, but I'll try and get to it tomorrow.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF: