Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Racism in servers

Why is it tolerated? I mean, I'll let something jokingly slip on occasion, but I think it's common sense to not use racism and that's how I've always ran my servers previously and how I run my current CS server.

It's common sense that a normal server community would not allow racism. So why is it allowed? I know one perspective would be a big fuck you to the OT server because of some of their strict rules, but I still think racism is wrong to be allowed freely.

Now there is obviously a contextual issue here where saying whaddup nigga isn't really racism but saying your mother was a nigger lover is completely different. So there's a relatively simple line that can be drawn. No racism(with non-derogatory exceptions).

Also, I have a no asshole rule on my server so if someone is using any sort of douchebaggery on my server, they are gone.

Maybe it is against the rules and just not enforced. What's the point in having the rule to begin with if that were the case?
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Making words taboo achieves the absolute opposite of what people think it does. It reaffirms that it's a bad word, and creates appeal and incentive for people to use it. This is simple human behavior.

Words are not the problem. It's the motive of the speaker and his or her behavior that is problematic. I call my friends "faggots" all the time in a joking manner, and you would be asinine to claim that it's equal to calling a homosexual a "faggot".

Third, words are words, and people have to get over them. Most of the power given to words are the people who willingly choose to be offended by them. For example, I dabble in language, and the curse words of various languages do not offend me, because I have yet to condition myself to be offended at the word.

Talos, for example, allows people to speak their mind, even if we disagree with them. We allow this because we're intellectually honest folk who realize that not everyone is going to think the same. Hell, most of the Talos members disagree with one another heavily on various topics, but we're mature enough to realize that individuals come to their own individual conclusions.

Just as much as we would not want someone's opinion or values or ideals forced upon us, we do not force our opinions or values or ideals on them. Anyone who thinks you can force other people to be tolerant are dumb, and anyone who thinks you can achieve fairness by censoring those who disagree with you are obvious hypocrites.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Words are only given power if you give them power. Saying 'nigger' says nothing about my personal beliefs on race. If words are used in the blatantly derogatory way, then yes, that's racism, but sitting there calling people niggers doesn't automatically make you racist. It's part of underground internet culture, it's simply putting a face on your frustration/intent. I personally don't believe in such a thing as 'race', as we are all one human race, therefore, I assign the word nigger absolutely no contextual value, unless it's used in a CLEARLY derogatory way. It's the same as saying such and such is 'gay' or a 'faggot', most people don't actually mean something is gay or they're a faggot, it's just a slang way to say you dislike it.

If it offends you, that sucks, but if there's no rules against it on a private server, there's nothing wrong with that. Being offended is a choice, consciously or subconsciously.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Bridget, so if someone is being a complete asshole in your server, your telling me you won't do anything about it because it would be forcing your values on someone else?

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 10-11-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

It wouldn't really be 'forcing your values' on anyone, it's just that the Talos server was created out of the philosophy of free speech and letting adults be adults and let them decide how to live their lives, even if that means saying nigger and what have you.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Bridget
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
Bridget, so if someone is being a complete asshole in your server, your telling me you won't do anything about it because it would be forcing your values on someone else?
No, because they voluntarily agreed to be moderated upon entering the server.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:18 AM   #7
Born_In_Xixax

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Personally I do not mind strong language as long as it's all in good fun, in company where it is expected and humored.

A gaming server can be such a place, but I would suggest it be behind a password. A public server, by definition, is open to the public, and as a large proportion of video gamers are (increasingly very) young people, I think it's reasonable to try and maintain a 'clean' level of discourse: i.e., no excessive foul language, racism, or personal abuse.

I'm sure the kids don't really mind (many female players will,) but there parents definitely will, and the prospective community will be that much smaller if they over hear too much nigger/faggot coming in over voice chat.

Again it's completely at the server operator's discretion - and if his goal is a big-boys-only sausage fest, that's fine - but I think it's worth suggesting keeping it under control, in the interest of maximizing the number of people to play with.
Born_In_Xixax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2010, 03:45 AM   #8
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
Why is it tolerated? I mean, I'll let something jokingly slip on occasion, but I think it's common sense to not use racism and that's how I've always ran my servers previously and how I run my current CS server.

It's common sense that a normal server community would not allow racism. So why is it allowed? I know one perspective would be a big fuck you to the OT server because of some of their strict rules, but I still think racism is wrong to be allowed freely.

Now there is obviously a contextual issue here where saying whaddup nigga isn't really racism but saying your mother was a nigger lover is completely different. So there's a relatively simple line that can be drawn. No racism(with non-derogatory exceptions).

Also, I have a no asshole rule on my server so if someone is using any sort of douchebaggery on my server, they are gone.

Maybe it is against the rules and just not enforced. What's the point in having the rule to begin with if that were the case?
i played on a tf2 server for awhile its only rule was don't be a dick it hasn't changed to my knowledge.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2010, 01:39 AM   #9
traxamillion

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
racism...what are you guys like 12 years old? who cares.
traxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2010, 02:01 AM   #10
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
No, because they voluntarily agreed to be moderated upon entering the server.
chill out scuzzy. you are taking away personal freedoms!
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2010, 02:23 AM   #11
Bridget
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss View Post
chill out scuzzy. you are taking away personal freedoms!
Which ones? { Oh, yeah. I never disagreed that people agreed to be moderated when entering the Old Timers server. I just stated that the rules were fucking retarded. }

Last edited by Bridget; 10-14-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #12
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Simple ballgame: If you don't like/can't agree to the rules, don't play there. It seems that alot of people can/do agree with the rules, as the place was hardly ever empty/not-full.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2010, 02:20 AM   #13
Eon Seig
AaaaaaaTATATATATATATATA!

Class/Position: Pyro Scout Soldier / Offense
Gametype: CTF/AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I never avoid playing on TALOS just because they let people be vulgar and bitch at each other all day. If they're populated and OT isn't I'll play there, provided I'm not entirely avoiding FF all together as I have been for several weeks now. College has a way of pissing away my time.

But I will automatically mute each and every single person the moment they utter the words nigger, cunt, fag, lesbo, whore, or any other such term. I have no problem playing on TALOS, but you're going to shut up when I'm there whether you have a choice in the matter or not.

I do not mute people for saying bitch, fuck, ass, or any of the other 4 standard curse words when used by themselves in a fairly mundane context, such as a one-off slip to express anger. But I will mute someone if they say something in a deliberate and overly vulgar threat, such as "I'm gunna fuck you in the ass, you bitch." Cluster F bombs hardly ever bother me.

I also don't mute for mic spamming as long as I am amused by it. The rule of thumb is that if I find it funny or entertaining, I leave it alone. But as soon as it starts to annoy me it goes off.

The point I'm making here is that your experience in any server is 100% under your control. If you don't like the people there, mute them. That can't say anything to you that you don't want to hear, meaning there is nothing stopping you from playing on any server you want. Not only can you choose to not be offended by anything, you can choose to never hear any of it at all.

Last edited by Eon Seig; 10-15-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Eon Seig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2010, 02:37 AM   #14
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eon Seig View Post
The point I'm making here is that your experience in any server is 100% under your control. If you don't like the people there, mute them. That can't say anything to you that you don't want to hear, meaning there is nothing stopping you from playing on any server you want. Not only can you choose to not be offended by anything, you can choose to never hear any of it at all.
Winrar.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:10 AM   #15
Bridget
Banned

No thanks. I prefer to voluntarily be offended then play the victim.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:39 AM   #16
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
I mute everyone in most multiplayer games. I find that the pros far outweigh the cons. No listening to kids smack talking people, no people talking about how high they are, no people playing shitty music, no people piping in TV audio feeds, no people raging about something and screaming into the mic etc.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2010, 05:30 AM   #17
CHURCHMOUTH
crystaLcity
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier D
Affiliations: Goodfellas
Posts Rated Helpful 7 Times
nerds
CHURCHMOUTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #18
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity View Post
I mute everyone in most multiplayer games. I find that the pros far outweigh the cons. No listening to kids smack talking people, no people talking about how high they are, no people playing shitty music, no people piping in TV audio feeds, no people raging about something and screaming into the mic etc.
That's exactly why I refuse to mute anyone.

ff_plunder - Complete