Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 06-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #21
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I grant you it isn't pure CTF, but CTF is involved.

If anything, the addition of multiple flags, and thusly multiple targets, should make you want to open the map up even more to allow many different flows of traffic.

Maybe I'll take a stab at making my own version, though, just for kicks.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:05 PM   #22
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
you can map?
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2007, 11:53 PM   #23
Gator-
FF God

Class/Position: Scout O, Medic O, Demo D/O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF 4v4
Affiliations: [milkwood] ( GoodFellas )
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to Gator- Send a message via MSN to Gator- Send a message via Yahoo to Gator-
Ouch ^

lol
Gator- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #24
Beetle
Beta than eva'

no that wasnt a stab, i just havent seen him. That would be stupid of me, cuz there are plenty of things that could be made fun of to my mapping.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:40 AM   #25
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle
you can map?
Nope, not really.

This map would probably take me five-six months of constant work/tutorial reading/begging for help to actually accomplish with any sense of completeness.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:29 AM   #26
MikeQuist
Person

Or two months of non stop work. And no, Less pathways the better...to an extent. I'll explain why.

Flagrun never really centered around the flagrooms. That's the difference between it and CTF. The flags could be anywhere. Nobody had to commit to offense or defense. You could go get a flag from the enemy base and on the way back end up running into somebody with your flag. Combat! Flags! Excitement!

Now...let us say that you add another tunnel to mid yard...and another flagroom entrance. Yay you can get the flags from their places easier! Horrah! But then people end up just flying around the map as scouts and medics. The gameplay centers around flagroom flagroom traveling. No use for spies, pyros, etc. Or the middle of the map.

The excitement is gone and the map become a CTF where you have to cap 4 times. Ahh lame.

But MIKEQUIST! What if all the flags end up in their flagroom?! How can we get them out? You don't. If all 4 are in there, the map resets. If 3 are in there, you can focus on the one that's not. And in their attempt to get that one flag, you can go get their other ones!

So... as you can see, the structure and path layout of Flagrun is very important. Adding a hall here or there can transform the game completely. Flagrun has been played for years, and it has been played well. No map allows for the versatility of classes and gameplay for pubs, nor the communication and direction of clanplay...as Flagrun will.

Oh and Beetle, if that Mapping question was aimed at me, sicne we do have a previous relationship ingame, Yes. And I think I actually helped you once or twice too.
MikeQuist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2007, 03:59 AM   #27
Beetle
Beta than eva'

where's my map?

Old 06-22-2007, 04:19 AM   #28
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Would anyone suggest the addition of an extra hallway anywhere?
If you are so anti-adding hallways... why ask?
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2007, 07:15 AM   #29
MikeQuist
Person

You have a point. But I've grown more convinced as I came along.

And the suggestions have helped.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #30
Nezumi
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: Soldier, O
Gametype: Doubble Mode
Affiliations: Cassiotone Nation
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Please give people attacking from the balcony (via conc/rj or the ladder on the side) a way to get into the rear of the base without going directly by the spawns. This is just annoying for both sides. You can't get in without bumping into someone with full health or that sniper you just killed, and you can't get out of your spawn without being spammed.

This is what I really didn't like about the map.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #31
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Nope, not really.

This map would probably take me five-six months of constant work/tutorial reading/begging for help to actually accomplish with any sense of completeness.
Maps were a minimum of 40 hours work in TFC, and now with FF you have shit like LUA to worry about. Just a heads up. Yeah, though it seems you are very aware how time-involving it will be, especially since you will be learning stuff as it goes.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2007, 02:51 PM   #32
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Well I think there's a lot of evening out though. Sure, there was less to worry about in tfc, but the new hammer seems much easier to use, and less time consuming...maybe cuz i never went to the .5 version from 4.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #33
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Maps were a minimum of 40 hours work in TFC, and now with FF you have shit like LUA to worry about. Just a heads up. Yeah, though it seems you are very aware how time-involving it will be, especially since you will be learning stuff as it goes.
Just a heads up?

Dude, I've helped like every beta mapper with Lua already. Where the fuck have you been, man?

Old 06-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #34
MikeQuist
Person

FF team members have already offered to help me on this exploratory LUA adventure. This will be one of the first maps to actually push and test the ease and functionality of the LUA. So we shall see.

And yeah, I've probably put in the "40+" hours you could expect in TFC and I'm about 1/4 done with brushwork lol. I'm no stranger to lot's of work in maps. I'm not rushing through this stuff at all. I spent some maybe 5 to ten hours on a stupid portion of road...realized yesterday I didn't like it, and redid it all taking more time. I won't screw your map up. You might not like it but it won't be becuase it was built badly, I promise.

To the person (nezumi) who suggested a new balcony path, I might consider this after testing. I have an idea of how I would implement your suggestion if neccesary. There would be a path in the balcony opposite the spawn pathway that goes directly to the hangover balcony on the interior yard.

POLL QUESTION:

On the south side of the inteior yards, (the ground entrance to the flagroom being the north), in between the tunnel exit and the stairwell building, would you prefer:
A: ) Rock Formations
B: ) Random Building
C: ) Continuation of Tall Wall That stretches the north side

Included is a picture to show where I'm talking about/ Prove I'm at least somewhere

http://www.mikequistmapping.info/ima...grungraph1.jpg

Last edited by MikeQuist; 06-22-2007 at 06:24 PM.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #35
own3r
Custom mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeQuist
POLL QUESTION:

On the south side of the inteior yards, (the ground entrance to the flagroom being the north), in between the tunnel exit and the stairwell building, would you prefer:
A: ) Rock Formations
B: ) Random Building
C: ) Continuation of Tall Wall That stretches the north side

Included is a picture to show where I'm talking about/ Prove I'm at least somewhere

http://www.mikequistmapping.info/ima...grungraph1.jpg
I think I know where you mean though the brushwork doesn't really give me any clues, its hard to make a decision because the rest of the map needs to be taken into account in making it. But some interesting area or courtyard you cant get to maybe a market or something appropriate too your theme would do or some interesting architecture or a run down wall which has been broken and then barred by a fence or something revealing an area behind theres lots of things but its hard to say.
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #36
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeQuist

Oh and Beetle, if that Mapping question was aimed at me, sicne we do have a previous relationship ingame, Yes. And I think I actually helped you once or twice too.
nope. twas at circ. i know you did stormz2 (i think thats the name of it).

Old 06-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #37
MikeQuist
Person

Haha, I wouldn't give a poll option unless I knew I could handle it lol. I just want you guys to be able to go through the map and be like "I left my mark here."

Old 06-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #38
own3r
Custom mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Nope, not really.

I know how that feels ^-^ HL style maps can be bashed out in a matter of days HL2 or its mods seem to take about (HL mapping time)^10 to complete its insane. I have been working very intermittently on Mach2 for a long time now must be about 9 months its changed so much over that time its barely recognisable. Persistence pays off in the end, once you get the basics down it gets a lot easier.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #39
Beetle
Beta than eva'

but the basics don't plz many ppl. *cough* Mike *cough*

Old 06-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #40
own3r
Custom mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle
but the basics don't plz many ppl. *cough* Mike *cough*
I never claimed it did, just saying making maps gets a lot easier with practice essentially. My problem is that I am not an artist by trade so I am teaching myself sketching and design while trying to sketch out designs for maps.