Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 03-07-2007, 07:06 AM   #1
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
ff_barren ( last update 23.09.2007 (dd.mm.yyyy))

First of all, let's all cry for the lost of old ff_barren topic

Ok let's continue with the new one:

Again when I was über tired I made up something that could work on paper. I have not started making it yet though.

The gameplay is warpath like, and the look of it too, but belive it or not is almost nothing like warpath.
It's desert with lots of cliffs. I have also tried to place some rocks so that it wont turn in to sniper heaven.

There are 5 flags in the map.
1 Red-HQ
2 Red-Bunker type of pre-base
3 Neutral-Factory type of worthless peace of shit in the middle of the desert
4 Blue-Bunker type of pre-base
5 Blue-HQ

I have drawn nice overview of the maps other side (mirror it and you have full map) and I'll post it as soon as I get chance. If I dont, I'll take crappy digicam pic of it.

I think it'll be great, but that is just me talking. Ummm... ok... cya or something... I really dont know how to end this post...
Btw what do you guys think of the name? I tried to find synonyms for desert so barren sounded pretty rough name for this map.

UPDATE #1 04.06.2006 (dd.mm.yyyy)
Note: Textures aint final. Brushes you will see arent completely final!
This computer cant run with every whistle on, so the map doesnt look so good on that side

This is the red spawn. I'll wait for the FF offical and proper team textures so dont ask or menton it. And I know about the light bug there, and Im fixing it Oh and I dont like the skybox either.

UPDATE #2 11.06.2006 (dd.mm.yyyy)
Note: HardDrive got fucked, so this is a new version!

I whipped up some screenshots.

(If you wonder that sign that is black atm because of the block light brush, it will be "This (crappy) map was made by Donny aka EvilSeeD" sign) The building you see is just for eye candy, I like to make people see where they got inside the map, I know it's dumb since this is just a game but I always wondered about it :P

I dont think I have to explane this one. It's the exit door which leads to the "play area".
and the grey dev texture blocks, they are for the cap point tracking, to see how badly your team is getting owned or other way :P)

UPDATE #3 08.01.2007 (dd.mm.yyyy)

Old map got owned, by me. New style at works.
This is to prove you that Im not fucking with you
Hammer is also being a bitch with the burshes.

UPDATE #4 09.01.2007 (dd.mm.yyyy)

Had to re-do some blocks to stop grinding my gears, had to re-desing few places, had to add few ugly things to make your gears grind, had to add another pipez0r clusterz0r to get more whinez0r

It's still not finished but I'll leave it like that for now and start working on capure point 1.

Anyways:

If you are wondering what's the black wall of death in front of the spawn, it's where there will be box that I made it, so players can spam my inbox how much it sucks donkey balls instead of the server admins.

UPDATE #5 23.01.2007 (dd.mm.yyyy)

Im not dead! To proof:

The images show the enterance to the red control point 1 (Blue team has CP 5 as HQ). I have pretty slick desing in my head on how the base will be and I think you'll drool over your keyboards when Im done with it

This is the farest I have been with this map, and I must say Im pleased with the results even it's beta quality that Im currently leaving behind.

UPDATE #6 30.05.2007 (dd.mm.yyyy)

What?
Excuse me I didnt hear that? WHAT?! YOU TOUGHT I WAS DEAD?!

FUCKERS!

This time I'd like to show you the style the map is now coming. I thought that if I wish to add old warehouse factory thingie to the middlecap I'd better start to show some factory futurish style.
And no it's still not finished area in the shot.

Even tho the maps not dead, the progress so far lets us conclude that map is progressing rather slowly But summer is coming! FF too! I'll have more time on summer!

UPDATE #7 01.06.2007 (dd.mm.yyyy)

Did some insides. Steam was being gay to me so it delayed to this day... Could have got the whole crap done that day. Anyway more showing off to the concers way in through that window. Sneak attack on the sentryguns...
I had rail there but I thought hell it'd only be on the way of the sentry gun.
When I get my hands on the FF there will be some sexy ff grates under the balcony and perhaps on the balcony to break the boringness of that block wall.

UPDATE #8 03.06.2007 (dd.mm.yyyy)

Again Donny has done some progress. Wow... maybe it's the hangover?
First of all, propaganda!

What do you think of the light level and colour. I think it went about right. I'd leave it as it is. But someone has something to whine about it anyway

barronofhellion: does it look less weard now? I think the pillars add some non-boring to the interior too.

And for last: overall shot that is almost the final look. (The window tho is broken... I like to break things...)

UPDATE #9a 04.06.2007 (dd.mm.yyyy)

Now new outside look. The tower and wall will go. The hammer fucked it up anyway. Good that I didnt use as much work on it that I would've.

Now, idearoom:

This will have the cap point that lets Blue team win if run on. I didnt think of any ideas yet for that place so feel free to give some while I keep building this map towards CP2.

UPDATE #9b 05.06.2007 (dd.mm.yyyy)

Not so bright, ambient lighter, power house 'unblockified', even though it still looks like shit You'll be the judge.

Also here's the 'overlook' so one could get better picture on what the fuck is going on. Edited by my 1337 Photoshop skillz:

UPDATE #10 08.06.2007 (dd.mm.yyyy)

Here's ya billboard. The number 4 will be number four there, it's more visible ingame than in the pic. I had no trouble reading the text. The E-mail was bit unvisible but if someone wants to read it, he'll crack the code...

Circ, better? There's your deserty bushes.

Now for the main dish:

What be this madness at CP2 ?! Tune in next time.

Had to use ImageCave because ImageShack was being a bitch with uploading.

UPDATE #11 16.09.2007 (dd.mm.yyyy)

Barren has been fortressforeverized!

Red spawn

Re-texturing in progress.

Even the spawn turret works, if some silly solly decides to come spawn rape.

Arrows show which way you should be going. (In spawn there's arrows in because there will be ammobags for snipers who want to camp on the walley ledge thingy)

So right now, barren is going towards darker time. I havent completely waisted these 3 months. I have been brainstorming the 2nd cap and decided to go for silo type cap point to make this map somewhat diffrent from warpath. So the CP fights will happen in CQC - the idea people liked about the middle cap.
I'll keep on fixing the textures. After that, I have to do some optimizing before I can continue. Vis was being a bitch compiling this one, hammer crashed 3 times, I had to boot once and the computer crashed once while compiling vis.

UPDATE #11 19.09.2007 (dd.mm.yyyy)

Nothing big, just showing off my 1337 modelling sk1llz!!!!!11oneone

The bursh made thingy in front of the red spawn isnt quite like I wanted it to be when I made it. (The ones with the pipes sticking out yes.)
Also the roof is clitching (hard to see ingame tho.) because of hammers 1337 fuck up your brushes function, so there is no other way than make model of it.

I may modelize other parts that hammer fucks up later. Right now Im most concerned about texturing this bad boy so that it looks like it's made of brushes, like FF's models that look like brushes.
I know your secrets you dirtbags

UPDATE #12 23.09.2007 (dd.mm.yyyy)

Made some progress. I noticed that the CP's arent that far away so I need to tune my original design. So where CP2 is now, there will be respawn for Which they'll use when they get CP2.

Here's some candy.

Looking towards the road that takes you to CP2

Looking back to CP1

Ugly ass building.

Last edited by Donny; 09-23-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Looking pretty sweet

[needs to work on gaining some mapping skills]
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

What?
Excuse me I didnt hear that? WHAT?! YOU TOUGHT I WAS DEAD?!

FUCKERS!

This time I'd like to show you the style the map is now coming. I thought that if I wish to add old warehouse factory thingie to the middlecap I'd better start to show some factory futurish style.
And no it's still not finished area in the shot.

Even tho the maps not dead, the progress so far lets us conclude that map is progressing rather slowly But summer is coming! FF too! I'll have more time on summer!

Old 05-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Suite307

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
It's coming up.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
nodnarb

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Why are metal buildings so hard to make?
nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

Because *smart input here*.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

Did some insides. Steam was being gay to me so it delayed to this day... Could have got the whole crap done that day. Anyway more showing off to the concers way in through that window. Sneak attack on the sentryguns...
I had rail there but I thought hell it'd only be on the way of the sentry gun.
When I get my hands on the FF there will be some sexy ff grates under the balcony and perhaps on the balcony to break the boringness of that block wall.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #8
barronofhellion

looks good, imo i would change the texture where the cement meets the brick on the door frame area, i would use the same cement or maybe something other then the brick, looks good though, leme know if im being to vauge
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2007, 04:12 AM   #9
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

That's the texture I've used around the map for that part. I think it would look rather silly if I'd chainge it now

Old 06-03-2007, 04:37 AM   #10
nodnarb

It just looks like you have to many themes clashing, for lack of a better term.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:51 AM   #11
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

I only see 2 themes.
And there will be more as the blue version of the map gets diffrent makeup, while keeping the blueprints same.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #12
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

Again Donny has done some progress. Wow... maybe it's the hangover?
First of all, propaganda!

What do you think of the light level and colour. I think it went about right. I'd leave it as it is. But someone has something to whine about it anyway

barronofhellion: does it look less weard now? I think the pillars add some non-boring to the interior too.
Edit: Now that I think of it, it could use some railing between...

And for last: overall shot that is almost the final look. (The window tho is broken... I like to break things...)

Old 06-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #13
-=bingo-bango=-
Spirit Studios

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Blue Team
Send a message via AIM to -=bingo-bango=- Send a message via MSN to -=bingo-bango=-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
(The window tho is broken... I like to break things...)
dont we all?
-=bingo-bango=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #14
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

True. *remembers his glass house mod* good times with that RPG launcher...

Old 06-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Actually that whole building looks pretty sweet.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #16
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

Thanks Circ ^^

Now new outside look. The tower and wall will go. The hammer fucked it up anyway. Good that I didnt use as much work on it that I would've.

Now, idearoom:

This will have the cap point that lets Blue team win if run on. I didnt think of any ideas yet for that place so feel free to give some while I keep building this map towards CP2.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #17
nodnarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFortress2
Ugly map, you need to learn how to use displacements. Some of the buildings are shaped weird too. You also fail at good lighting on the interiors.
This must be some sort of record. I have only seen two of your posts, and your already on my ignore list! Good job, buddy.

Anyways, as for you Mr. Donny the map looks good. I don't like that square building off to the right in the first building. Break it up, add some support columns like in this pic.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:03 PM   #18
Gator-
FF God

Class/Position: Scout O, Medic O, Demo D/O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF 4v4
Affiliations: [milkwood] ( GoodFellas )
Send a message via AIM to Gator- Send a message via MSN to Gator- Send a message via Yahoo to Gator-
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamFortress2
Ugly map, you need to learn how to use displacements. Some of the buildings are shaped weird too. You also fail at good lighting on the interiors.
Far better than anything you will produce in your miserable, grotesque, repulsive no-life. If you knew shit about mapping, you would know that a mapper actually polishes displacements once a solid structure is placed on the map (as in, all the interior things of the map is semi complete or close to such point). Once the backbone of the map is complete, then does the mapper shape up the ground/cliffs/etc using displacements. What he currently has is just a skeleton, not a finished product (to make it easier on himself when he displacementizes ). Most of the buildings have a unique architecture, though they are not the finished product (this map is a WIP after all). Lastly, he didn't fail at rendering some good lighting in the interior base, he just needs to tweak it accordingly (same with the env_light, too intense, lower it down Donny <3). I hope you watch your tone of your general idea next time, dick.
Gator- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2007, 04:10 PM   #19
own3r
Custom mapper

The brick textures in HL2 are not the best, this map would look better with concrete or stone textures. My preference would be for stone. As reguards to the lighting, I like the idea of more subtle ambient but a high intensity is a good idea. Having the ambient some sort of light blue might be quite cool can we see how that might look?
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #20
barronofhellion

i like the open area viewing the base, it reminds me of dustbowl sorta
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote