Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Debates & Arguments

View Poll Results: 3 Year Prison term for anyone who points a laser at a moving vehicle
Lock them up! 8 88.89%
Liberty outweights safety 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
battery
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Shining a laser at a moving car warrants 3 year prison term!

Seriously! I don't see any motivation to shine laser at windshield other than causing a crash. In my opinion, if someone does it in the city it should be treated as assault with a weapon. Doing it on a freeway should lead to a charge of attempted murder, because that's what it actually is!

And don't give me that hobbyist freedom argument. My cousin is a BB gun hobbyist who likes to practice his aim by pointing it at a bank.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
They should be executed by firing squad.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Some shit fuck was doing that where I live. But it wasn't cars, it was airplanes with hundreds of people on board coming in on final approach at night. You just have to scratch your head an think. Wow what a complete fucking retard. We shouldn't lock these people up in prison we should put them in retard homes where they can't have anything that requires at least dog level intelligence to operate.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Yeah, whoever does this stupid kind of shit needs to get a brain and think about what they're doing.
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
This is pretty much a no-brainer. These aren't the little red ones that were previously available, these are much higher powered green lasers. It's been well documented that when the beam hits a windscreen, it spreads out and blinds everyone in the cockpit/vehicle. So yeah, that's pretty much attempted murder.

The thing is, these dumbfucks either don't realize that they are putting peoples lives at stake, or they just don't care. Either way, yeah, they need to be put somewhere.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
I do not agree that shining a laser at a moving car warrants any prison term at all. An airplane, certainly. A car however, not. Having seen the effects first hand and not experiencing it the way described. (with a strong green laser pointer by the way) my reaction was simply to slow down. Not swerve or jam on my breaks or freak out. In fact, I saw a green beam and figured, hey some dude shops think geek, or http://www.dragonlasers.com/

Maybe people need to control themselves so that jamming on their breaks in an attempt to insta-stop every time something surprising happens instead of blaming anything they can.

I will say this, however, while I don't think it warrants a prison sentence; the act itself is still malicious. In fact, I can't think of a non-malicious reason to shine a laser pointer at a car. It clearly warrants some kind of disciplinary act.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife View Post
Maybe people need to control themselves so that jamming on their breaks in an attempt to insta-stop every time something surprising happens instead of blaming anything they can.
Maybe people need to not purposefully surprise people who are operating a vehicle.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2011, 01:13 AM   #8
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
I do not agree that shining a laser at a moving car warrants any prison term at all. An airplane, certainly. A car however, not. Having seen the effects first hand and not experiencing it the way described. (with a strong green laser pointer by the way) my reaction was simply to slow down. Not swerve or jam on my breaks or freak out. In fact, I saw a green beam and figured, hey some dude shops think geek, or http://www.dragonlasers.com/

I will say this, however, while I don't think it warrants a prison sentence; the act itself is still malicious. In fact, I can't think of a non-malicious reason to shine a laser pointer at a car. It clearly warrants some kind of disciplinary act.
The thing is, people react differently. Not everyone reacts the same way you do. Either way, if you can't see where you are going, you may still end up in an accident.

Maybe 3 years is excessive... but 30 days, 90 days, or even 6 months isn't. Depending, of course, on the damage/injuries inflicted.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
battery
D&A Member

Quote:

When a person get shot in the eye with any laser beam, his natural instinct is to look away. There isn't much he can do about it, since it's a reflex reaction.

Losing sight of the road, even for a split second, can be fatal. As a driver merges in or out of a lane at 65 to 70 mph, he simply cannot afford to be surprised. This is especially true when traffic is heavy and the space available for manuvering is small.

As the price of laser toys fall, more people will own them, and more idiots will abuse them. The government really shouldn't wait for fatal car wrecks to start acting.

Chances are, most idiots who do this kind of malicious acts are teenagers. The punishment for them should be

1st offense: high school diploma deferred for one year, which means that kids will be spending one year to cultivate respect for other people's lives.

2nd offense: excessive fines and possibly prison

3rd offense: This teenager will grow up to be a murdere. In California, three felonies = life in prison.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

People take their eyes off the road all the time without laser beams. Without even committing crimes as a matter of fact. Whenever there is an accident at the side of the road people's eyes wander. If a plane goes overhead many people turn to look, an animal running off to side, or changing a radio station. Accidental, surely. However, if intentionally shining a laser in someone else's eyes on the road is murder, then the above acts must be man slaughter. Or negligent homicide. They aren't on purpose but they cause the same level of risk as a laser to your own description.

A crime, certainly, a fine certainly. I would dare say, a hefty fine, and even drivers license suspension would be appropriate. But it is not nearly as dangerous as driving drunk, or under the influence of drugs. So it should not receive a more serious punishment. Now if you could prove that it directly caused an accident, then that laser wielding person would certainly be responsible. Your reaction is clearly over drawn. I wonder, did a laser wielding child run over your dog?

Old 02-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

One of the reasons states are making it illegal to text while driving is people are being killed. A laser in your eye is a hell of a lot more of a distraction than glancing down at a cell phone for a few seconds or glancing at the side of the road. There is no rational comparison. And when someone does that and gets into an accident and kills someone they can be criminally held responsible. Someone intentionally acting malicious by intentionally distracting a driver is very different. it's like a first degree intentional murder if someone does get killed as a result of you shining a laser into their eye.

We passed a texting law last year because some dip shit lady was texting and hit a 9 year old girl on her bicycle at 50 killing her instantly. Then a teen smashing into a motorcyclist the same day. Was the straw (so to speak) that let politicians get it through.

3 years does seem excessive but then again most of the time when things seem excessive there are almost always other circumstances. The only thin I can find on this search is people who were doing it to cop cars. You fuck with cops you always get extra because they tag all sorts of additional bullshit on top.

BTW it's not murder, it's attempted murder. meaning you are trying to cause a crash.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.

Last edited by stray kitten; 02-10-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
battery
D&A Member

Another aggrevating factor to this malicious act is that the perpetrator suffers no phyiscal danger to himself while he is committing the act. Every sane druck driver recognizes the stupidity of his crime because of the risk of himself dying. Shining a laser to someone else's windshield? No. The fuckers who do this position themselve at a safe distance, so that they can't be seen, and can't be hit.

Is there any fun in tracking a laser beam at a moving target? Perhaps. But it must get boring after a short while. There is practically no skill involved in this silly game. Why do people keep on doing it then? They do it because they want to see a reaction from the driver or the pilot. When they see the car dance left and right followed by a concerto of horns, they know their have hit their target at the right spot. Then they get a good laugh and repeat the same shit. In case of a crash they just quietly walk away, knowing they are unlikely to be apprehended.

The heavy penalty is there to balance out the risk to the perpetrator. Consider the crime of counterfeiting money. The criminal doesn't have to face any gang violence, and the chance of getting caught? Tiny. But the consequence of getting caught is 15 to 20 year in ferderal prison. As a result, No one wants to make fake money unless he is making a ton.

Last edited by battery; 02-10-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Again, certainly they want a reaction. I agree it is an intentionally malicious act. However, the current law allows for the understanding based on intent of death. A 16 year old kid with a toy that is too stupid to realize the danger he's putting people in still deserves punishment, but not jail time... unless he does actually kill someone. Ultimately there is already a law that covers that.

Laws that already cover this:
Reckless Endangerment
Disorderly Conduct
Negligent Homicide
Manslaughter (and its various numbers)
Murder (and its various numbers)

All of these laws and more cover the intentional, and accidental; to varying degrees; of distracting drivers whether in a vehicle yourself or not. There does not need to be a "laser pointer amendment" to these laws. It is already against the law. If no one gets hurt, then it falls under reckless endangerment or disorderly conduct. If people get hurt then it falls under the appropriate law for that.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

attempted murder is also a law that already covers it.

You can't just tag on attempted murder, there has to be a basis for it. It would help if OP could post an actual link if that wasn't just an opinion. There isn't just one case out there there are dozens. The only one I can find is some fuckshit pointing the laser at air craft getting three years. In other cases they DID permanent injury to eyes.

http://www.laserpointersafety.com/ne...-0026-jail.php

Last edited by stray kitten; 02-15-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray kitten View Post
attempted murder is also a law that already covers it.

You can't just tag on attempted murder, there has to be a basis for it. It would help if OP could post an actual link if that wasn't just an opinion. There isn't just one case out there there are dozens. The only one I can find is some fuckshit pointing the laser at air craft getting three years. In other cases they DID permanent injury to eyes.

http://www.laserpointersafety.com/ne...-0026-jail.php
I neglected to add "attempted" to my list. You are correct. Attempted murder applies. You simply have to prove that the accused intentionally tried to cause the loss of life. And accident doesn't qualify. Accidentally risking someone's life has other laws against it, like negligence, and reckless endangerment.

Also, interfering with the flight of an aircraft, or it's crew, pilots' or passengers has another set of laws that can be broken dedicated for the extreme nature of the risk.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

I think with this whole laser thing there isn't a tangible effect of pointing the laser at a windscreen. If I covered your eyes with a black sack when you are going 80 mph down a freeway when there are only a few feet between cars also going 80 mph seem more tangible.

And like stated I have not found any long jail sentence for someone doing this to a car when there was not injury involved from either a crash or claim of injury to the eyes. Stare at one of those lasers for a few seconds, you'll see what they mean by injury. Although I can see the thought process of, if you are pointing a laser at people who are operating the car or piloting the aircraft your only reason for doing so is to cause them get disoriented. It's like trying to put some rational reasoning on why kids, like myself tossed snowballs at cars. It seemed fun and you got a reaction.

Either way jail isn't the answer if no one is hurt. It's like gun control. You can't stop stupid people with more legislation.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:25 AM   #17
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray kitten View Post
Either way jail isn't the answer if no one is hurt. It's like gun control. You can't stop stupid people with more legislation.
In this, my friend you and I agree.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #18
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
no its attempted murder (that or reckless endangerment.) its that simple it can blind the driver and cause death. id definitely agree with this punishment. an accident maybe less jail time or probation but in general id say that was a fair punishment. a tad excessive but what he did coulda hurt everyone on the road including himself.

he had a fair trial and he got his punishment simple its over hes in jail hell be out and hopefully move on.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 03-15-2011 at 11:06 PM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote