Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Going to try Linux for the first time, needing some advice

So I've never used Linux before, and by never, I mean my knowledge of Windows based OS's supercedes my knowledge of Linux based OS's quite a bit.

I've started to hear over the past few years that Linux is actually quite robust, in that it can do quite a lot of things, very fast, and I'd like to familiarize myself with the OS and eventually get to know FreeBSD and even Apple's OS.

But for now, I really just want to play around with it, I know there are tons of distros, I want to find something that's easy to install, something that I can dual boot with, as Windows will still be my main OS, and something that works for what I do on a day to day basis, which is pretty much look at youtube videos and browse these forums. I have no interest in installing Wine to play video games, as I could just play em through windows and probably have less of a headache doing so.

So, what are the best distros, or your favorite ones, as well as what are some of the features with each one that really stand out compared to a Windows OS? I've heard Ubuntu is the most popular, I've seen a few videos with some of the cool effects, but other than speed, what would be some of the key features of using Linux over Windows?
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Ramones

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
maybe you want to try out some live cds.

http://software.opensuse.org/
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
http://www.mandriva.com/en/download
http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/

I'm using Ubuntu. It is easy to install and use. Never installed another distro, though.
Ramones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: Griefing/Spawn Camping
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Linux for dummies = Ubuntu
Shadow00Caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
Acid Reflux

Class/Position: Pyro / D
Send a message via AIM to Acid Reflux Send a message via Yahoo to Acid Reflux
Linux is a different animal than windows. I would first start with Ubuntu as your first time using Linux. Chances are, all of your hardware will be detected and configured automatically.

If you grow fond of it and want to learn more then I would try to start using Slackware. Slackware is more vanilla straight forward.
Acid Reflux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #5
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Linux is great for playing games!
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 03:09 AM   #6
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Over the years I've used Slack, Red Hat, Fedora Core (Red Hat's development branch where things are tested to see if they're stable before being rolled out to their production line), Debian, mandrake and Centos. I like Centos best...but it's also the most current kernel with which I've worked. I should add that I've never used any Linux distro as a workstation....servers only.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: Griefing/Spawn Camping
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget
Linux is great for playing games!
Wyne fuh tuh wuh
Shadow00Caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
So, what are the best distros, or your favorite ones, as well as what are some of the features with each one that really stand out compared to a Windows OS? I've heard Ubuntu is the most popular, I've seen a few videos with some of the cool effects, but other than speed, what would be some of the key features of using Linux over Windows?
Ubuntu is probably the easiest Linux distribution to dive in with. It usually autodetects pretty much everything and installs in about 15 minutes. It also comes with a host of standard programs installed for office use, games, media-related, etc.

Now, advantages of Linux:
1. Speed, as you have already said. The system overall just seems to be faster than Windows. Boots up faster (though that can vary alot), and login is definitely a lot faster. The X server is a lot more lightweight than the Windows GUI even when using a desktop like GNOME or KDE.

2. Stability. Linux tends to be a lot more stable than Windows. Microsoft has come a long way since 98, but sometimes a single program being slow or not working can lock up the whole computer entirely or freeze it for 30 seconds - a minute while it tries to open the task manager. Individual Linux processes don't usually lock up the GUI, so you can just pop open a terminal or the GNOME Force Quit thingy and kill it. And if the GUI is locked up you can always Ctrl+Alt+F1 to the virtual console and kill it from there.

3. Security. This is partially because not as many people use Linux, and partially because it's just a more secure system overall. There are very few viruses for Linux, and they get spread around even more rarely. The system is also much better at separating out the administrator role from regular users. You don't have to become root just to open up a regular program.

4. Freedom. Practically everything in Linux is completely free and most of the rest are at least free to use (i.e. nVidia drivers). Not that most people even pay attention to license agreements today, but if you care about that stuff it's there. And if you have the skills, you can customize programs for your needs by changing the source code and compiling it.

5. Centralized software management. This is probably the most important feature of modern UNIX-like systems. The package manager is a centralized repository of ready to use software packages that are available for download. You can install things with a single command (or click if you roll graphically), update individual programs the same way, or even update the entire system. Ubuntu also has an automatic updater.

6. Powerful command line. In a distribution like Ubuntu you never have to open the terminal to do anything practically, at least for the average user (and this is how it should be as most people probably couldn't even define the phrase "command line" even if their life was on the line...). But regardless, some operations are a lot faster to do from the command line than they are from the graphical interface. The Linux command line is very flexible and very powerful.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Nice. It seems Ubuntu is the way to go for now. Thanks for all the advice.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
yeah, its based on debian. once you've found your feet, i'd have a look at that. make sure you familiarise yourself with the command line though, as it should be your best friend.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 12:03 AM   #11
Damascus
Comic Artist
D&A Member

Make sure to install Compiz-Fusion!

Old 09-20-2008, 02:43 AM   #12
Precautious

Class/Position: Sniper
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Linux can be really fun and it might give you a better insight in how computers work (It did for me). And as so many people have said before, Ubuntu is probobly the easiest distro to jump into and start using.

Personally i was seeking basic knowledge about the linux core and thusly my first distro became Slackware (Woo, smart choice) which is really nice, but it can give you quite an headache, it really can. (Oh god, it really can) But it's worth it, i think, that is atleast what i'm telling myself when im punching my fist through the wall.

I personally recommend that you start playing around in the terminal pretty soon and force yourself upon it (No, not in that way). Compile some software, play around with dependencies and read some tutorials. Have fun and don't be afraid to break something.
Precautious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2008, 07:07 AM   #13
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
My issue with linux is driver support. It's still hit and miss on some hardware. You might want to check compatibility before making the jump. If it's going to take me hours to get linux only half working... it's not worth it for me.

I use dual screens, and I'm told it's strictly hit or miss when it comes to getting it working. However nvidia is said to be better then ATI for video drives and i was using ATI at the time. I could try with my new rig, but I don't want to mess with the hassle.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #14
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
all operating systems are at the mercy of hardware manufacturers. dont blame the OS.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
Naive

I am a little interested in trying out Linux just for the sake of it. And by a little interested I mean don't care enough to read into it and instead post here. But there are so many distros!

I know next to nothing about Linux but my observation of it is it's for the super geeks who prety much use it to be different. Yet spending forever pissing around trying to get things going.

I get the feeling it's to much effort for so little worth. Even with Ubuntu?

I really need some convincing. I am downloading Ubuntu now so I'll test it out within the next hour or so. Again only doing so beause I have nothing better to do at the moment. Really forcing myself to try it out.

The only thing that has kept me away is it being a "headache" to get things going.

Last edited by Paft; 10-22-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #16
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paft
I know next to nothing about Linux but my observation of it is it's for the super geeks who prety much use it to be different. Yet spending forever pissing around trying to get things going.
That's a common perception. Most modern distributions of Linux are pretty good about properly recognizing your hardware unless you have brand new stuff that is cutting edge. If your hardware has been out for a year or so it will likely have support built into the install.

FWIW, I suppose the "super geek" label might apply to those using it for Home use out of the blue...however, those of us using it day in and day out for Server and development work...we were already geeks...

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #17
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Ubuntu installs in like 15 minutes and works perfectly fine in most cases.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #18
Paft
Beta Tester

Currently in demo mode now.

The obvious main thing about Linux (Ubuntu) is that nice bloat free feeling it has upon first use unlike say Windows where everything but the OS is tripe. You don't feel you want to spend a few minutes cleaning up. I will install it fully tomorrow and give it a big test run. Maybe if I can do everything I want with no trouble it could become my primary OS. Still need some convincing yet though.

Edit: Asides from the obvious goodness I am noticing tiny things I'm liking already. Example: I was just watching the Experience ubuntu vid, turning up the volume using media keys on keyboard and what do I see? a volume OSD. Something to me that is a necessity. Which Windows doesn't have as standard...

Last edited by Paft; 10-22-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:01 PM   #19
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I personally like Kubuntu over Ubuntu. Same base, but I like KDE. I've been using Kubuntu in a VM and the more I mess with it, the more I want to make the jump... However there are still thinks I've having issues with...

Old 10-22-2008, 11:16 PM   #20
Paft
Beta Tester

Ubuntu, Xbuntu, Kubuntu. Hmm.. choices Was confused at first but I understand now.

Last edited by Paft; 10-22-2008 at 11:30 PM.