Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Tips and Tutorials

Old 09-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Bunnyhopping

[placeholder]

ps... where is a TFC website tutorial that could be modified for FF?

Last edited by 4est; 09-15-2007 at 10:32 PM.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
moogle

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I don't know but I am stupified that I heard FF is good for bunnyhopping etc... today I tried it and in addition to crashing... strafe jumping seemed to do nothing and bunnyhopping gave no noticeable gains...

I can move very well in TFC so what is up???
moogle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 10:58 PM   #3
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
http://www.groovyfargo.co.uk/bytfc_a...nnyhopping.htm

http://ukfortress.com/guides/bunnyhopping/

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
groovyf
In the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
And still that site of mine gets hits :E

Not that I'm going to update the guide, but for FF there's no need for that bunnyhop alias/script, and the demos won't work under Steam-based TFC
groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2007, 10:47 PM   #5
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Remake it, FF bunnyhopping is incredibly simple.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 05:47 AM   #6
tu!

can a dev. let us know if they are at all gonna tweak the 110% bhop cap? right now it is so slow almost feels useless. using bhop to juke is sorta useless too because the air control feels lacking compared to what most tfc'ers are use to.
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Rojola

Yea bring back gaining speed from aircontrol!
Rojola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
I have to agree that the bhop is definitely different compared to what i am used to (TFC)
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #9
moogle

This be the Moogle... I can teach anyone to bunnyhop. You start with learning to accelerate from a single strafe jump. A strafe jump is done by holding a strafe key of your choice (right or left), and turning the mouse at a certain constant speed, you then press jump (you can also continue turning that way in the air after jumping and get more speed if needed). Then you work on ONLY pressing jump to keep the speed gained afterwards: from the strafejump. Then you add in regulating strafe speed so you don't slow down or speed up too soon, and voila your bunnyhopping! You alternate using the right and left strafe keys (strafe jumping) when bunnyhopping while jumping in a way that you don't lose speed (as I mentioned you learn earlier).

If I was at your house I could teach you in about 20 minutes probably.

With strafejumping (and bunnyhopping), there is a speed which is the max turn speed of your mouse which generates the greatest speed gain before you press the jump key. When you hit jump you want to keep turning that fast as well (gaining more speed in the air). in Team Fortress Classic (TFC) the variable cl_yawspeed 293 is the ideal turn speed for maximum overall speed gains. From there just type in console +right or +left. Then you will see the optimum speed to turn!!! Just a really nice way to see how it works.

Ideally, in game, you sometimes turn faster or slower than the optimum-CONSTANT-turn speed for max speed gains to dodge/strategically plan your speed gains (especially so you don't max out or cap your bunnyhop speed too early - which is 175% a classes speed I believe).

It is easier to bunnyhop/strafejump with a generally lower sensitivity because when you turn there is a more constant speed which tends to generate the max speed you want.

Using an MX500, with 1000hz USB poll rate, I tend to want a sensitivity that lets me do 3 circles on my mouse pad. 4 circles on a standard mouse pad (when dragging the mouse from the farthest left to farthest right position) is hard to control and you shouldn't really go over that for bunnyhopping.

:P Yes it took me like 2 months to figure out bunnyhopping but it was worth it. Reading what I just wrote should cut that time considerably in half (I would hope and tried to help).

Now please don't hate on bunnyhopping anymore now you can see it as an appreciated skill :P

My instant messenger name is m00gle035 (zer0s, not O's)... AIM msg me and I will teach you when I can

Last edited by moogle; 09-26-2007 at 07:40 PM.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
Rehab

Affiliations: None
Where have I seen that before
Rehab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #11
moogle

Rehab,

The TFC cl_yawspeed 293 (optimum-constant-mouse-turn speed), is something I figured out on my own. It sets the speed that the +right and +left turn buttons turn you. It's a good personal way for people trying to learn to strafejump, and eventually bunnyhop, to learn how to move the mouse.

^^^^ 1)This is why most people can't bunnyhop. They don't know you are supposed to move the mouse at a constant optimum speed when strafing to gain speed.

2)This second reason is 99fps is needed. You can, however, do some pretty decent strafejumps with even 30fps. 60fps is a bhop minimum requirement. This does pose a tough requirement for Fortress Forever because of the new graphics. I didn't think of this. Hmmm. <shrugs>.

I had great fps with all settings on full.
================================================== =
Computer:
e6850 (3ghz dual core), 8800GTS, evga a1 motherboard, 4GB RAM 4-4-4-12 timings, 333 cpu clock, 1333 effective USB.

3dMark06 Score: 9471
SM 2.0 Score: 3979
SM 3.0 Score: 4168
CPU Score: 2712
1 Proxycon: 33.693
2 Firefly: 32.624
3 Red Valley: .856
4 Red Valley: 1.376

Last edited by moogle; 09-26-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:24 AM   #12
Pyr0
Can you feel the heat?

moogle, stop posting that nonsense, Bunnyhoping in FF is as easy as pressing Jump in the middle of another Jump! (Yeah, no exact timing needed!)

You don't even have to move your mouse! (but it Helps in ramps and odd terrain)
Pyr0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 02:37 AM   #13
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
bhopping is great where it is now. by itself it doesnt offer a ridiculous advantage like in tfc, but when used with concs, weapon jumps, and downtrimps and such you can get amazing speeds
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2007, 09:31 PM   #14
Industrial

temporal speeds*

Just enough to get you past that first defender, and a second past that second defender, and a third... if you are doing it right :>
Industrial is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 12:16 AM   #15
Rehab

Affiliations: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogle
Rehab,

The TFC cl_yawspeed 293 (optimum-constant-mouse-turn speed), is something I figured out on my own. It sets the speed that the +right and +left turn buttons turn you. It's a good personal way for people trying to learn to strafejump, and eventually bunnyhop, to learn how to move the mouse.

^^^^ 1)This is why most people can't bunnyhop. They don't know you are supposed to move the mouse at a constant optimum speed when strafing to gain speed.

2)This second reason is 99fps is needed. You can, however, do some pretty decent strafejumps with even 30fps. 60fps is a bhop minimum requirement. This does pose a tough requirement for Fortress Forever because of the new graphics. I didn't think of this. Hmmm. <shrugs>.

I had great fps with all settings on full.
================================================== =
Computer:
e6850 (3ghz dual core), 8800GTS, evga a1 motherboard, 4GB RAM 4-4-4-12 timings, 333 cpu clock, 1333 effective USB.

3dMark06 Score: 9471
SM 2.0 Score: 3979
SM 3.0 Score: 4168
CPU Score: 2712
1 Proxycon: 33.693
2 Firefly: 32.624
3 Red Valley: .856
4 Red Valley: 1.376
I didnt mean that, I just notived you double posted your reply in 2 threads
Rehab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #16
allisvoid
what is tfc?

i think most do not understand that it does not work like tfc bhop. correct me if i am wrong but i will attempt to clear things up for those that are trying to do it like TFC.

you cannot use mwheeldown and do not need a jump wait script.

you simply jump then press and hold jump mid-air until you jump again then press and hold again. it times it for you.

so... again... press: jump then jump and hold until you jump again then press and hold jump again. repeat.

the hardest part of bhop is timing the jump. this system they have implemented into FF eliminates that problem once you get used to it. if you are holding your jump key when you land from another jump you will immediately jump once you land.

as far as movement. you do not press forward. you only strafe right or left. you smoothly (key) move your mouse into the direction you are strafing. the movement must be an even, smooth, constant speed to maximize your acceleration. also the more level you are (ie: not aimed down or up) the more you accelerate. try to land mid-turn.

this is not tfc, this is FF. if you want to play tfc then go play tfc because there are still people playing it. you can't expect just to hop into FF and it be just like tfc...

hope this helps.
allisvoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 12:58 AM   #17
CatzEyes93
Black Mesa Voice Actor

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
best tutorial I have seen so far. http://www.fidosrevenge.com/bhop/

but dont let it get around that *I* showed it to you .
CatzEyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 02:15 AM   #18
Count

Why can't you use mwheeldown? I just mwheeldown and i seem to be able to bhop alright, is it impossible to use mwheeldown or just difficult..i seem to be hitting the cap a fair amount, but i guess you can never know. Thanks in advance for feedback.
Count is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 03:24 AM   #19
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
It just complicates it when it's easier to use space. They designed it to. The old half-life mousewheeldown method was crucial for successful jumps, you don't need to in FF. It doesn't work the same way. Also you probably accidentally double jump a lot and stuff with mwheel.

If you prefer jump on mouse then use the middle or right button or something. It makes more sense.

Last edited by Paft; 10-02-2007 at 11:04 AM.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2007, 04:07 AM   #20
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I use both spacebar, mwheelup, and mwheeldown... :/
Love how easy it is to doublejump off shit this way