Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2007, 05:59 PM   #21
BlisTer
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
FF killed what was left of tfc, it did great the first few weeks and then TF2 killed FF. Once ppl realise TF2 is CS with classes, and want to go back to guns vs movement instead of guns vs guns, We need to have an FF that is completely stable with pubs that pave the road towards clanning and we need to have hyped up leagues that facilitate easy-to-plan clanwars and look-at-us ranking.

As for gameplay issues like bhop and class balance, that's all just fine. Use the map's environment if you want to go faster than just bhop speeds. And class balance depends entirely on the map you're playing. Just compare 2fort with congestus and tell me if O or D is too strong.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #22
fireb0rn

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
In the beta it was at like... 125, and it worked great. Every single tester said it was pretty much fine, but then the devs inexplicably dialed it down and never brought it back up.
wow, is that really the case? I really don't understand FF bunnyhopping... it isn't satisfying to either the competitive or the casual players.
fireb0rn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #23
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
it was supposed to be in the middle. the trouble is, neither side wants to compromise.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #24
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
If any changes are to take place, it should be to just add your suggestion to what is already there; allow the flamethrower, after a certain amount of time, to get someone to level 2 (and then the IC to get him to level 3).
That's fine as well. The reliance on grenades is the issue and makes the class a huge waste. Maps that don't have secondary grenades (palermo), maps that don't have grenade bags, and maps that are too large for the pyro to get to the enemy base fast enough make him a slow, boring, ineffective class to play.

And that is far from fine.

However, there shouldn't be a reliance on the changing of weapons. The pyro should be able to get to level three with one weapon. The point of using multiple weapons would be to decrease the time it takes to get there incredibly fast.

I'm not proposing that it happens incredibly fast, or that it would even happen on the weaker classes. It's simply a bad design choice for a class to HAVE to switch weapons to be effective. It would be like having two auto cannons for the HW, one which charged up the cannon and the other which fired after charging it up.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #25
Adamido
Its over nine thousands!!!

Class/Position: midmap pyro / o spy
Gametype: AvD
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek.
An effective pyro can get level 3 in 1-2 seconds (or a fraction of a second if done right).
What a fail.Remember, to use grenades AND flamethrower you have to be close.Also, you can miss with IC.And, there are ~3 seconds before explosion of nade, so THERE IS NO WAY TO GET LVL 3 burn in 1-2 seconds.
Adamido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #26
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
Honestly, I think that FF is just fine how it is. I think Fortress has always been structured such that the team who works together with their own respective skills and classes is the team who wins. This is definitely true in competitive play, too.
I'd be ok with some power, timing, and range tweaks to fix balance issues, but adding new weapons and abilities is taking it took far.

We've already got some competitive play going, and I've been having a great time playing for {NFO} clan.
I think that what alot of people don't understand is that any experience in Fortress depends on the people you play with. The best part of competitive play is the communication you have with the rest of your team.

Everyone who plays any Team Fortress game should know, you're not playing ON a team, you're playing WITH a team.

The best thing to do to encourage competitive play is to make effort to include the skills of every member of your team in your team's play, even in public servers.

-Joker

Last edited by Private_Joker; 12-16-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Private_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #27
Rojola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
For those of you that are competative gamers and are not playing FF, why aren't you playing and what needs to be done to attract you to the game?
- Make it possible to gain proper speed by bunnyhopping only
- Simplify textures so its possible to see what is going on
- Decent maps, 2fort, Well, Openfire, Stowaway

Three first that came in to my mind.

Last edited by Rojola; 12-16-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Rojola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #28
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamido
What a fail.Remember, to use grenades AND flamethrower you have to be close.Also, you can miss with IC.And, there are ~3 seconds before explosion of nade, so THERE IS NO WAY TO GET LVL 3 burn in 1-2 seconds.
he was supposed to say a skilled pyro can reach burn level 3 in a few seconds. try priming the grenade and firing the IC as you close in, then toasting him off with the flamethrower.

oh and dont miss with the ic.

i think that level 2 burn should be upped, so that level 2 burn is a 3x multiplier, and level 3 is 5x, assuming level 3 is still 5x

Old 12-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #29
Adamido
Its over nine thousands!!!

Class/Position: midmap pyro / o spy
Gametype: AvD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
/.../
If few is more than 3 I agree
Adamido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #30
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
i think that level 2 burn should be upped, so that level 2 burn is a 3x multiplier, and level 3 is 5x, assuming level 3 is still 5x
This would be a great alternative as well.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #31
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
it was supposed to be in the middle. the trouble is, neither side wants to compromise.
A lot of the testers thought stuff like 130-170 was way too much (including myself). While it was fun, it would greatly unbalance the game. (Remember kids, 170% BHOP in FF is a lot faster than 170% BHOP in TFC.)

When it got knocked down to what it is now (115 I believe?), damn near every tester complained that it was too slow.

125 is the middle, mervaka. Everyone was happy with it and for whatever reason the devs never got around to putting it back. ):

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #32
Stephen
Sniper hater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
For those of you that are competative gamers and are not playing FF, why aren't you playing and what needs to be done to attract you to the game?
I used to be. Like a few other posters have said, I'm older now and life has caught up with me so I don't have time to spend hours every day playing games.
The number 1 thing that puts me off playing FF is not being able to do whatever I like when I play. You can't do anything that doesn't fit with the stupid convential TFC clan type unwritten rules without having some asshole screaming at you. If I play TF2 nobody cares that there's DM on the bridge or someone's playing defence spy. Doing something to make these people shut the fuck up would attract me.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2007, 09:49 PM   #33
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I used to be. Like a few other posters have said, I'm older now and life has caught up with me so I don't have time to spend hours every day playing games.
The number 1 thing that puts me off playing FF is not being able to do whatever I like when I play. You can't do anything that doesn't fit with the stupid convential TFC clan type unwritten rules without having some asshole screaming at you. If I play TF2 nobody cares that there's DM on the bridge or someone's playing defence spy. Doing something to make these people shut the fuck up would attract me.
A lot of those people have moved on. As long as there is offense going for the flag, FF games typically move away from mid-map DMing automatically. Honestly, give FF another shot.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 10:30 AM   #34
rizzo

I loved the un-capped bhop testing in beta stage
rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #35
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
It just depends on the server. The [AE] server is mostly a pub clan but we are doing UGC to help out. SN clan is a highly competitive bunch of guys who prefer clan rules for that reason. SN is still a great server to play on. We frequent each others servers some what but mostly our own just because we enjoy dif style of game play. So with that said I hope I helped attract you back.

[AE] server 8.6.8.213 FFz server 70.113.214.21
NFO server 66.55.142.182 More pub based

SN server 208.167.247.13 NFO server 8.2.122.202 More Clan based

EDIT: If any of the server operator's dis agree let me know I'll fix the post. Just my observations.

Last edited by [AE] 82694; 12-17-2007 at 04:26 PM.
[AE] 82694 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #36
Vicious
Nothing left to believe in

Quote:
With NFO, we have 2 servers. Right now we're trying to make one server more of a stricter match style server and the other one the fun weird maps and do whatever you want server (within reason of course).

8.2.122.202:27015 is our main public server that everyone knows and generally goes to. This is the one we're trying to make a little more serious.

66.55.142.182:27015 is "Da Bing". This is the server that's relatively new and we're trying to turn into the more "fun" server.

If they're empty give them a couple minutes. We tend to be packed most nights after 7pm eastern if someone just goes in and lubes it.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote