Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 04-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #21
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
I learned Russian for a year, spent about a year not using it and forgot most of it. Epitome of language learning
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 02:50 AM   #22
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Between middle school, high school, and college I took 7 years of Spanish. I was getting good at understanding it for awhile, but then it started to slip. Nowadays, I can read/write it better than I can understand it, and I can understand it better than I can speak it. I need to go live in a Spanish-speaking country for 6 months or something.

Last edited by Agent Buckshot Moose; 04-13-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2010, 12:21 AM   #23
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Not to throw politics into this, I refuse to learn any Spanish at all. You move to another country, it's up to YOU to learn it's culture, language(s), and assimilate yourself into it.

I am learning German, though... although it's been a bit since I've worked with it. I figure, this way, when I move there in the future, I can live up to my expectations of Mexicans.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #24
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Not to throw politics into this, I refuse to learn any Spanish at all. You move to another country, it's up to YOU to learn it's culture, language(s), and assimilate yourself into it.
The USA's culture and languages are just whatever the fuck other people brought here. We are what we are because people came here, crushed the natives, and did their own thing.

Xenophobia's a pretty shitty personality trait.

Last edited by Circuitous; 04-14-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #25
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

I am learning German, though... although it's been a bit since I've worked with it. I figure, this way, when I move there in the future, I can live up to my expectations of Mexicans.
It is hard not to learn conversational Spanish. At least where I live: every store and 80 percent of the products on store shelf have signs and branding in BOTH languages. Not to mention every form from private loan applications to government requests are in BOTH languages. So I can say that to live in a country for 20 years where in most areas you are exposed to English 24/7 and not being able to learn it says a whole lot to me.

Having said that I embrace the latino/mexican culture. I can hang over in latino hoods and have a good time. Almost got shot a few times but the fucking tacos are worth it. Some of those dudes come here and work really hard and want to help and love this country. Others are like progressive liberals who suck the life out of the system. Those people can fuck off.

So on topic. A little of Spanish, Arabic, and Portuguese. Although I forgot most of the Portuguese. I plan to learn Egyptian Dialects.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.

Last edited by stray kitten; 04-14-2010 at 02:33 PM.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #26
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Quote:
integration's a wonderful thing though. if people refuse to integrate then they isolate themselves. America's a sort of special case though, as it's been bi/trilingual since the European colonists arrived as you say.
Gonna quote part of a post Mervaka made, and then deleted, because I agree with it. The USA *IS* made up of many people from many walks of life.... but the predominate language is English(actually the dirivitive thereof, known as American....) By promoting Spanish above and beyond all other languages(which, if there is anyone from Spain on here, they will tell you that American English is to real English what Mexican Spanish is to real Spanish).... you are slapping those other people who bring their other languages and cultures to this land, right in the face. The only time I see a fairly equal distribution of languages on products, is when they come from Europe.

Yes, English is the predominate language here.... so that being a given, learn it or stay isolated. -OR- be fair and adopt all of the primary languages for potential usage.

That's how it's done in Europe.... but then again, this country *IS* FUBAR'd...
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #27
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i'd like to point out i deleted it because i realised this isn't the D&A forum.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #28
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Hyvää huomenta.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #29
maximi
pie
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous View Post
Hyvää huomenta.
..menta -__-
maximi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #30
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

That made me laugh so hard for some reason.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #31
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Took one 3 month course of Spanish in my final year of high school, and I'm living in South America right now. Rather spectacular how fast you pick up a language when you're forced to speak it.

In university I hope to do a formal study of English, because we're not taught grammar and structure and tenses in school. I'm also going to continue my study of Spanish, take up French for its practicality in Canada, and throw German in the mix as well.