Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > Server Administration

Old 09-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
Byte

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
FF Clan Style Community Server

Hey guys , im sure some of you who use the forums have noticed the server.

Fortress Smackdown | Clan Style Game Play - FF Community - 195.170.173.170:27055

For those that haven't feel free to join. It is a clan style server, meaning that it is not a typical public server like Wireplay / Jolt.

If your unsure what clan style means feel free to join us #ffsmackdown on quakenet. Where all your questions can be answered. Also feel free to idle

Current map rotation is

ff_monkey
ff_shutdown2
ff_arrdvark

Thanks all.

Byte

Old 09-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
cool, i'll be sure to add this to my favs

Old 09-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Didn't someone post something about this server having really dumb rules or something? Where was that topic...

Edit: Oh yes...
http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...ad.php?t=11378

I have yet to play on that server myself so I'm not really leaning one way or another but I think people need to let the game grow into itself instead of bringing TFC's stupid match rules over.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

yeah. before the pub zealots come charging in, i'm gonna warn them now not to bring it up. i've talked to the guys that run the server, and they seem level headed people. they said they were happy to explain what their rules mean, and are putting serious thought into lifting the ban on pyros, as they're like, totally different to TFC.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
yeah. before the pub zealots come charging in, i'm gonna warn them now not to bring it up. i've talked to the guys that run the server, and they seem level headed people. they said they were happy to explain what their rules mean, and are putting serious thought into lifting the ban on pyros, as they're like, totally different to TFC.
They had pyros turned off? Lolz. Hopefully they will lift it.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Sabre
Creg

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Awesome, glad someone is catering for this style of play, see you on there.
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 04:14 AM   #7
Byte

Update

Hi guys again

I have now enabled pyro's however only to 1 per team, we have also considered pyros to be a defence role as well as offence. Mainly to the fact that pyros can light up cloaked spies which will help the defence to kill a spy and see where he/she is

We also have a 2nd clan style server now up.

195.170.173.12:27035 Fortress Smackdown #2 | Clan Style Game Play - FF Community

Feel free to use this one if the other server is full which it is just about always lol

As im trying my best to attract new players to come play, i've also done a website for the community servers, various bits of useful information is available on the website, most importantly a section explaining what clan style is and how it is played.

http://www.freewebs.com/kfansa/

Anyway i'll be in #ffsmackdown if anyone needs me thanks.

Byte

Old 09-21-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
AmigaSpide

it is nice to see that we have a choice in our style of play in FF, and that we have so called "clanstyle" servers aswell as fun public servers . i do however get that feeling that you are crushing the fun out of FF, barely a week since its inception, let them play... i do not see the need for imposing any rules, as you see them, in a public server atm. i for one will avoid these servers, i suggest you password your server so that nobody dares go offy hwg!
wub
Amiga

Old 09-21-2007, 06:54 AM   #9
Doompiggy
Banned

I was on there, I called you a bitch and was being mean . Im sorry
Doompiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
Sabre
Creg

Aye locking it and putting the password on here migth be a wise move.
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #11
luminous

quite a good server, you should put the custom ctf maps that are coming out atm on it too (dropdown by sh4x for example) to get them some play time, do you have a fast download server you can use?
luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #12
cOmPaCt

they banned me already and byte called me an asshole?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
FF|Skyrider
HL2Files Site Manager

Send a message via AIM to FF|Skyrider Send a message via MSN to FF|Skyrider Send a message via Yahoo to FF|Skyrider
:\, I'm more in favor for a free based server. Unless my server is being crowd with Heavy Weapon Guys, then I might consider limiting it about 3 per team. But, everyone should be free to choose which they want.. Hence, I don't like clan rules.
FF|Skyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #14
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte
pyros can light up cloaked spies which will help the defence to kill a spy and see where he/she is
isnt that the idea? might be worth making the cloaked spy unburnable though, i dunno? ofc direct exposure will still hurt

Old 09-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #15
TFFP

With the servers we encourage new players has been a couple guys when they come on were new to game and we explained how tfc games work and now they enjoy the clan style play.

We saw alot of people asking for a clan style server so we tried to provide if we passworded it then people dont have the chance to play clan style and decide mayb this is for me.

We wanted to help the FF comunity grow and the server is usally always full now so people obviously enjoy the server as it is. If people want us to lock it are we saying "sorry no new players go play on jolt with the midmap" we showing players what clan games can be like and encouraging people to join in.
TFFP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2007, 10:40 PM   #16
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
You know, I have played on plenty of unlimited servers, and I have not really seen anything too insane. There was not one instance of like 6 HWGuys on a team (the heat meter is making it a less than appealing choice, IMO). The most snipers I have seen on a 11 person team was 4, and that is to be expected IMO.

I think when it comes to a game (especially a new one), you leave things like limits alone, the people generally do not try to do crazy stuff.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #17
FF|Skyrider
HL2Files Site Manager

Send a message via AIM to FF|Skyrider Send a message via MSN to FF|Skyrider Send a message via Yahoo to FF|Skyrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
You know, I have played on plenty of unlimited servers, and I have not really seen anything too insane. There was not one instance of like 6 HWGuys on a team (the heat meter is making it a less than appealing choice, IMO). The most snipers I have seen on a 11 person team was 4, and that is to be expected IMO.

I think when it comes to a game (especially a new one), you leave things like limits alone, the people generally do not try to do crazy stuff.
^ quoted for truth. If things get out of hand, you (as admin if any) can always say something about it.
FF|Skyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #18
frags

Why are people moaning about a server that is offering clan style play? There are plenty of unlimited/public no rules servers out there, surely this one can only be a good thing for people who enjoy that kind of gameplay or want to get into the whole clan style play scene. It doesn't matter that the game is new, it's basically the same objectives as tfc and thats to Capture the flag!(on most maps)

If the server is not to your liking then don't play on it, there are plenty who will, you only have to look at the old ctfcl tfc server to see that clan stlye play is popular with alot of people.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #19
Hype
Don't believe the hype
D&A Member

Class/Position: Both
Send a message via MSN to Hype
I've added to favs, cya soon.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #20
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by frags
Why are people moaning about a server that is offering clan style play?
I think because clanstyle servers by and large tend to attract the "GTFO NOOB" crowd. I wish all clanstyles servers would add a very sensible rule:

1) Be friendly and helpful to all new players - they're the lifeblood of the game and the clan scene!

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote