Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 12-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #121
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Now it sounds a shitload like Baroque (a little-known PS2 action-RPG where dying was standard practice).

You run in at level 1, scrounge items and gear, but once you inevitably die (monsters are assholes and your health/fatigue constantly drain) you go back to the start at level 1. The only gear you get is whatever you managed to throw into a particular void to be held on to by a minion out front. It's... pretty absurd.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #122
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Yep, that's a bit more accurate.

This game is just insane. I've fought a few bosses now and they've all increased in epicness 10 fold each time.

I mean, when you fight a boss named Dragon God (Shadow of the Colossus size) immediately after fighting a Balrog on steroids whom I've spent the greater part of the last two days trying to beat (and shitting my pants once I did)... it's great.

That Dragon God fight was something else.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #123
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

So I've been playing this game for. fucking. ever and I'm still not tired of it.

My back and neck hurts, I feel sick, but this game is just fucking crazy. This is the first time I've ever felt like ass from playing a game for too long.

On the plus side, I finally beat Penetrator, the four black phantoms, the red and blue dragon, and now I'm working to kill this king dude.

Also, I fought a guy on a bridge. I held the line. I took the bridge. Fucking. Epic.

However, I've found that I've done a lot of grinding =\. You don't have to ~ you're not forced to grind. I could be exploring other areas Metroid style, like 3-1 which is a dark prison filled with Cthulhu styled mind-fuckers (or like D&D mind flayers... same thing, yeah?) that roam the dark halls with bleak lanterns which barely draw light. Once you are spotted, they relentlessly attack, casting paralyzing spells which they use to grasp you with their tentacled face. Once in their hands they will open their gaping maw and a spike will protrude from it. You will feel your life essence drain slowly. And you will die a slow and painful death.

Or, you can wait for them to turn their backs to you and charge at them with your caveman ass and beat the fuck out of their skulls.

And take their loot.

And then you will come across a multi-leveled iron maiden which shoots arrows the length of buses down a bridge you have to cross. I've got not clue how to cross that fucking bridge either.

Ronald Reagan

Old 12-14-2009, 01:39 AM   #124
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Damn that sounds badass. Are you playing it online?

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #125
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Damn that sounds badass. Are you playing it online?
Yeah. All the bloodstains and messages left by others is a big help. See, I play in soul form about 100% of the time so I don't have to worry about other people coming in to my game and killing me. 25% extra health (I have a ring) isn't worth it.

Ronald Reagan

Old 12-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #126
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I've got a phat pipe for an internet connection but how does the PSN handle it? I played a little of the BF1943 demo and it was laggy as hell.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #127
Pon
Not choking. Yet.
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Demo/Def - Spy/Off
Gametype: Anything but yet more fucking CTF
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Demon's Souls does look and sound extremely good. Shame a European release is pretty much not gonna happen :/

Will probably import once I have the spare cash, though fuck knows when that'll be.

YOU GUYS REALLY SHOULD UPDATE YOUR STAFF LIST!
I haven't posted since 2010...

Preferable to death. But only just...
Pon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #128
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
I've got a phat pipe for an internet connection but how does the PSN handle it? I played a little of the BF1943 demo and it was laggy as hell.
I don't think that'd be a problem. It's not a typical online game like BF1943. Everything is done locally on your end, so there's no input lag or anything like that.

You can also play it single player by not being on your PSN.

And yeah, import it. Any version will do as all of them have English options.

This and Borderlands are my two favorite games of the past 5 years.

Ronald Reagan

Old 12-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #129
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Wait, so it's multiplayer? Ish?

Old 12-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #130
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous View Post
Wait, so it's multiplayer? Ish?
Yeah. It's really hard to explain.

As you play, you find these:

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/85...ics/biif-4.jpg

Which play a little video showing how the person died (the red ghost thing is the video of the person dying... it doesn't show what he died from or anything like that)

http://www.beefjack.com/wp-content/u...screens_35.bmp

and these:

http://www.atlus.com/res/demonssouls_screens_22.bmp

When you walk over the messages you can read them. They all have canned messages which can be semi-customizable which give vague clues on things. Some people put "LIAR" up around characters that lie. Some people put "Take a step forward" on falls were you can find items below you. Some people also lie and you fall to your death .

Also, you can see other people playing, in real time, as a white ghostly outline. They fade in and out of the world and sometimes you can get hints on how to beat bosses, certain areas, or other difficult things from the live players, although it's not always the case. These ghosts have no impact on your game and are just 'there'.

That's one portion of the multiplayer.

The other portion is direct player interaction. Depending on what state you are in (ghost or living) you can either be the 'host' for a coop session or be the 'host' for an invasion.

Coop sessions consist of one living player and up to two ghost players. These coop sessions can be activated at any time on levels that have not been beaten by the living player. Only the living player gets the credit for beating the level, so if you're going to play with friends then you'll have to do the same level three times.

At any time you are living, you can be invaded by other live players. Only one player may invade at a time, and you can be invaded inside of a coop session. Essentially it's PVP and it can happen at any time if you're living. Most people play in ghost mode to avoid this. In order to activate ghost mode, you simply die in living form. You start off in living form (I think).

Living form allows you 100% of your health. Ghost form allows you 50%.

You can play this game offline by not being connected to the PSN, although you won't see any bloodstains, messages, or ghosts and you most certainly can't play COOP or be invaded. Anything you can do offline can be done online and viceversa and there are no trophies that can't be done offline.

So, yeah, it's multiplayer-ish.

Ronald Reagan

Old 12-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #131
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

That invading shit sounds pretty awful but the rest looks cool as hell.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #132
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous View Post
That invading shit sounds pretty awful but the rest looks cool as hell.
Well, in about 50 hours of play I've only been invaded one time. It's a pretty big non-issue in my opinion. You'll probably be playing the majority of the time in ghost mode, and ghosts can't be invaded.

However, if you do want to live on the edge you can play in living mode, it's there.

It's pretty basic stuff. You start off in living mode. When you die you're put in to soul mode. In order to go back to living mode you either beat a boss or use an item (Stone of Emphyasdnasdjansklj Eyes).

I've beaten about 6 bosses in the last 8 hours of play. 3-2 onward is incredibly easy, but probably only because of my character. I don't think a caster with low health and armor mitigation would fare very well against flying Steve Irwin killers.

Ronald Reagan

Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #133
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

I beat it. The second half of the game was incredibly easy. After beating 3-2, every single boss after was a walk in the park. I didn't die a single time on any boss after that, including the final.

Kind of weird, to be honest.

Ronald Reagan