Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Should the sniper be banned from CTF maps?
Yes, the devs should remove the sniper class from CTF style maps altogether. 17 16.67%
No, server admins should be the ones to make that decision. 21 20.59%
No, the sniper class should stay exactly as is. 23 22.55%
No, the sniper class should try to be improved by the devs to allow him to take on a better roll. 41 40.20%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #101
SSCUJO

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
I am not aware of any mistakes that were made in 2.0...please enlighten me.
they made the easter bunny more threatening than the sniper.

Last edited by SSCUJO; 03-07-2008 at 04:47 PM.
SSCUJO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #102
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCUJO
you made the easter bunny more threatening than the sniper.
oh that ...wait til 2.1 you'll really love what were doing!

he's going to get a giant dildo costume...and insted of sniper his name will be FagsMcGee!!

OMG LEAK!!!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #103
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO-BELL
To me, clan scouts conc'ing around speedcapping against a bunch of disorganized noobies on pubs is just lame.
And therein lies the problem with CTF on pubs.

Certain players are accomplishing the objective of the map (capping flags), and get annoyed at other players who are Sniping and aren't really doing that much to help defend the flag. And on the other side, those snipers are annoyed at the "speedcapping" concers who don't stick around to DM them.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #104
SSCUJO

Jiggles, i think you misunderstood TACO, he has no problem with pubbers playing scout, running the flag, and trying to complete the objective. in fact the last thing a sniper wants is a head to head DM.

the problem lies in where an exteremly overskilled league player decideds to come into an evenly matched pub and dominate by continusly capping the flag. now normally i wouldn't have a problem with this becuase i would just slow him down by sniping him every so often. but with the 2.0 sniper that can't be done effectively.

so now you might say "well you can't tell a skill'd player to just not play in a pub, he can do whatever he wants" and your right. the real problem is when a skilled flag runner cannot be killed by another skilled player, not because he is to good, but becasue the class has limited him.
SSCUJO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #105
kano

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
oh that ...wait til 2.1 you'll really love what were doing!
lemme guess: scouts and medics that teleport around the map, and soldier with nuke-rockets to counter them?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #106
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kano
lemme guess: scouts and medics that teleport around the map, and soldier with nuke-rockets to counter them?
I posted it in that post...you just have to look really hard
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #107
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
the problem lies in where an exteremly overskilled league player decideds to come into an evenly matched pub and dominate by continusly capping the flag. now normally i wouldn't have a problem with this becuase i would just slow him down by sniping him every so often. but with the 2.0 sniper that can't be done effectively.
Even with the 1.0 FF Sniper or the TFC Sniper, an equally skilled Sniper just won't be able to stop an equally skilled Scout that effectively. Certainly not as effectively as a Soldier holding a choke point would.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the nerfs the Sniper got in 2.0; they weren't my idea. Still, I'd like to see him rethought a bit, in some of the ways I discussed above.

Quote:
so now you might say "well you can't tell a skill'd player to just not play in a pub, he can do whatever he wants" and your right. the real problem is when a skilled flag runner cannot be killed by another skilled player, not because he is to good, but becasue the class has limited him.
A skilled player certainly can be killed by a Sniper. The Sniper can rack up plenty of kills. But, because of the way the Sniper is designed (and the way most CTF maps are designed), the Sniper won't typically be as effective of a defensive class as other options. His millage varies in different gametypes, but for the 2fort-style CTF map that is so popular for some reason, his current form is substandard.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #108
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium
chill, nooblets. FF is still under v heavy development and the sniper is one area that's basically not been done yet due to time constraints. afaik it's now pretty much top of the todo list, and hopefully with a bit of thinking and tweaking we can get a solution that makes playing and playing against a sniper uber fun and actually useful/effective both on public servers and in league play.

after seeing how quickly many other areas of the game have developed, imo it's only a matter of time until all these (to some apparantly game-breaking) remaining issues get fixed, and in the meantime it's probably best to support and bear with the dev team rather than keep pointing out the obvious about unfinished areas of the game and wasting their precious time asking them the same questions over and over. but hey, what do i know.
type out your words once in a while
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2008, 12:17 PM   #109
TACO-BELL

Quote:
I know from in-game that some of the people in beta testing are extremist anti-snipers. How the 2.0 sniper class ever passed beta, and still has not been patched yet, just makes it look like this group will never produce a TF-worthy sniper class.
Well, I was right.

Last night I had a conversation with someone from the dev team and I've been informed that the current thinking from those above is to even further nerf the sniper from where it stands now in the next version.

How totally clueless is that. I've uninstalled- good luck with the mod.
TACO-BELL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #110
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Care to share who exactly that was?
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #111
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
Quote:
Well, I was right.

Last night I had a conversation with someone from the dev team and I've been informed that the current thinking from those above is to even further nerf the sniper from where it stands now in the next version.

lol, well i dno who you talked to but i can guarantee you that's not how the sniper will be when it's "done". with the limited dev resources i don't know how long it will be until it gets "done", and if there are any more temporary hashes/fixes until that time, but i know it's already v high up the list of important things to do. FF is a game under heavy development, which means not everything has been implemented as planned yet. if you can't understand and put up with that then oh well hope to see you back again sometime soon maybe!
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #112
mixer
Interzone technican

Quote:
Well, I was right.

if that proves to be true then im byebye as well
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #113
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer
if that proves to be true then im byebye as well

Highly doubt it will be, it kinda looks like he just wanted a way out imo

About his earlier note about league play being for kids, I knew quite a lot of adults my dad included who would come home and play a league match/pick-up/clan practice? Surely a 44 year old man isn't a kid

Last edited by TheWetMule; 03-13-2008 at 01:49 PM.
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #114
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWetMule
About his earlier note about league play being for kids, I knew quite a lot of adults my dad included who would come home and play a league match/pick-up/clan practice? Surely a 44 year old man isn't a kid
yeah, i've clanned alongside many older players in the past: i'd say the majority of clanmates have been in their ealier 20's, but there have been quite a few in their late 20's, 30's and 40's.

i've also noticed that when younger ppl clan they tend to group together, so maybe whoever it was saying clanning is for kids ran into one of those "kiddy clans" there were a couple of those in TFC over the years and they did my head in lol...
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #115
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Quote:
well, you will certainly be missed
[/sarcasm]

i think the sniper needs something like a combination of the stake gun from painkiller (minus the secondary fire) and the FF railgun. a chargeable projectile that fires fast and has the power to instantly kill with a headshot and do a lot of damage with a body shot, but needs to be charged up to do so and starts to drop at a certain distance. also, dont make him have to slow down to charge, because that promotes camping like a mofo. i also think the AR needs to b either changed or replaced. the cone of fire makes it more of a spray weapon than something befitting a sharpshooter, and the ability to hold down fire and chase scouts and meds makes it incredibly obnoxious. i think if we removed the cone and gave the AR clips (20, 25 rnds apiece) it would make this weapon more fitting for a marksman type player.

also, a secondary grenade. give him proxy mines or something
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #116
myersjr

As a 40 year old, i love the idea of clanning and ugc competition, but sadly, i just dont have the time. Its not, as someone else stated, just for kids..its for everyone..circumstances and situations providing ample time..
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #117
betterschindt
Retired FF Staff

JUST REVERT BACK TO THE WAY HE WAS IN TFC!!!

Thats the sniper everyone fell in love with, it was the best "sniper" style in a fps and imo still the best around today.

adding a secondary grenade, maybe one that has more "team" aspect attached to it is great. BUT if sniper is totally redone and requires a lot of relearning, then thats definatley the wrong path.

Out of all the changes in FF compared to TFC, such as scout, pyro, medic, and even the spy changes, NONE of them required a lot of re-learning.

SO for the love of TFC and this MOD, please dont do anything drastic, cause im sure for every person you make happy you will make two upset.

I also am a huge sniper fan and would leave and stop advertising for this mod is sniper is fucked up anymore.

sure you can say you wont be missed, but in reality, with such a small user base, we will.
I probably know all of you from the all of 3 different servers that ever have anyone playing.

And unless tacobell changed his name, I have yet to see him online.
Sure leagues wont change, but its the TOTAL # of players that will drastically go down.
betterschindt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #118
myersjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterschindt
JUST REVERT BACK TO THE WAY HE WAS IN TFC!!!

Thats the sniper everyone fell in love with, it was the best "sniper" style in a fps and imo still the best around today.

adding a secondary grenade, maybe one that has more "team" aspect attached to it is great. BUT if sniper is totally redone and requires a lot of relearning, then thats definatley the wrong path.

Out of all the changes in FF compared to TFC, such as scout, pyro, medic, and even the spy changes, NONE of them required a lot of re-learning.

SO for the love of TFC and this MOD, please dont do anything drastic, cause im sure for every person you make happy you will make two upset.

I also am a huge sniper fan and would leave and stop advertising for this mod is sniper is fucked up anymore.

sure you can say you wont be missed, but in reality, with such a small user base, we will.
I probably know all of you from the all of 3 different servers that ever have anyone playing.

And unless tacobell changed his name, I have yet to see him online.
Sure leagues wont change, but its the TOTAL # of players that will drastically go down.
Im going to agree with this..Doctor..what say u?? Dev team?? Oh, and Taco Bell was playing alst night..pretty darn good..
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #119
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
NO! PUT HIM BACK LIKE HE WAS IN 1.11! I DONT WANT HIM NERFED ANY MORE THAN HE IS NOW! just make aardvark less of a fucking bitch!
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #120
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
but thats the thing, a sniper should work in all maps. If he doesn't then might as well remove him from CTF maps and stick him with the Civilian on hunted. So we might as well change him b/c i dont want to see him be remove

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote